SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

What are you reading? April 2024 Edition

Annie Deighnaugh
27 days ago
last modified: 27 days ago

What are you reading?

As always, it helps to bold the titles, rate the books 1-5 stars, and let us know if you think it would be good for a book group.

March 2024 Edition

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/6431586/what-are-you-reading-march-2024-edition#n=63

Comments (71)

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    23 days ago

I read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek and loved it. I had never heard about the blue bloods and it fascinated me. Gave me insight into how different things can be even within our own country,

• faftris
    23 days ago

I am reading one of the books I borrowed from the DD1 Memorial Library. It is called Belonging, by Umi Sinha. I cannot find any other works written by her, and my library doesn't own it. It is an interesting narrative, of three members of succeeding generations in a British family writing letters and/or diary entries, and family secrets are revealed.. The action takes place in England and India, from the 1840's through World War I. A nice read for those who like historical novels.

The library just emailed me that my copy of the new Amor Towles is ready for pickup. Those magic words!

• Related Discussions

What are you reading? April 2022 Edition

Q

Comments (89)
    I'm in a reading slump right now. I started The Old Woman with the Knife based on a recommendation here but it just isn't working for me. When I am reading it I'm interested, but the main character is quite off putting and the author hasn't pulled me into caring about her in any way, so I probably won't finish this one. I'm tepidly trying to read The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories which is a book club selection. Have finished a couple of the stories so far and the author's imagination is pretty impressive. Still, once again it isn't pulling me in...but short stories are a genre I simply don't read because as with this book, short snippets never interest me. I need to settle in for the long haul of a full book length experience with whoever/whatever it is I"m reading about. Another book club is doing The Lincoln Highway and I'm picking up a copy at the library today. Will give this one my 50 page tryout because I've been burned already by a lengthy post-sensational-previous-book tome that was a complete dud. Lookin at you *cough*Cloud Cuckoo Land*cough* Kicking myself because I got From Strength to Strengthas a library Kindle checkout before it became a bestseller but then let it expire without reading it--now I'm hearing about it everywhere and I'm back on the wait list but it's much longer. Darn my procrastination! Just started reading a recommended essay collection by Mary Laura Philpott that is promising so hopefully it will spark my reading mojo. And I have a new book The Sign for Home that also seems promising. Found that on Modern Mrs Darcy which occasionally tosses out a gem recommendation-hope this is one of those!
    ...See More

What are you reading? May 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (63)
    Rho, I did not care for Lessons in Chemistry at all. It was a silly attempt to shoehorn a classic autistic-but-goodhearted modern protagonist complete with 21st century feminist values into a 1960s setting. And some of the plot contrivances simply were impossible to accept Came here to share something I am happily absorbed in, a book recommended in the NYT summer reading guide. Courting Dragons is tons of Tudor mystery fun complete with a very winning protagonist. Will Somers was an actual person, King Henry VIII's fool, who served him for many years. The book makes Will the focus of a mystery in Henry's court, set during the King's Great Matter AKA the effort to get Henry divorced from his first wife Catherine of Spain so he could marry Anne Boleyn. Will is a terrific character-sharp witted, warm hearted with a VERY active bisexual love life which is a bracing new angle for fans of Tudor England LOL. Definitely recommend this for all of us who love books set during this period of history. Lots of details about life at court, personalities of the great nobles including the King, Anne etc. ETA: This is the first of a new series and the authors note says she is already working on the second book
    ...See More

What are you reading? - July 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (81)
    I just finished The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem. The characters were so much richer in the book than in the Netflix series. I do think it might lose something in translation from Hebrew but I learned so much about Palestine, the Turks, the British Occupation and the Israeli fight for freedom. I recommend.
    ...See More

January 2024 - What are you reading now?

Q

Comments (88)
    Just finished Lucy Foley's The Guest List. I don't usually read or enjoy thrillers, so thriller fans might want to ignore my comments. I thought it seemed pretty unoriginal, and some of the scenes were a bit of a stretch. For example, when a male character is confronted by a female character outdoors on a dark, stormy night, he complains that she is shining her phone flashlight in his face so that she can see him, but he can't see her. Umm... we know from the previous paragraph that he also has his phone out with flashlight engaged, so what's the problem, really? Anyway, this is a book club selection and I don't know quite what we will discuss except details like these. I could be wrong....
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    22 days ago

I havent checked in here for awhile. My latest reads are Absolution by Alice McDermott, abook club pick. We had a good discussion of what is was like for the wives of officers during the iet Viet Nam war. Such different times.

Next was Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson . It was one step up from a beach read., about the travails of marrying into a very wealthy New York City family. I enjoyed it. Maybe not enough meat for a book club, but perhaps.

I discovered In The Time Of Our History by Suzanny Pari, in my Amazon Prime free books. It was excellent and would be great for a book club. Its the story of an Iranian family and the cultural differences between the parents and their daughters.

Just finished Finding Dorothy which was popular with many of you and i enjoyed it too. Especially timely because the play Wizard of Oz is being updated and revived. It wojld not be a good pick for my book club.

Just started The House of Doors by Tan Twan Eng. Gets great reviews and Im looking forward to it. Its my book club pick for May.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    22 days ago

Nearly at the end of The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer, set in Paris and Hungary just before and during WW II. Also by her is The Flight Portfolio, based on true life American Varian Frye who helped Jewish artists get out of Marseilles just before the US entered the war. Both books are excellent--fine writing, great character development.

• ladypat1
    22 days ago

I just finished The Women, Kristin Hannah, a book about women nurses in the Viet Nam war. I was in high school during the war, and this book seems to have different views for different age groups. 4-5 stars .Would be an excellent book club book. The Women follows young nurses through the war and the homecoming and settling into society upon return to the US. Still brings up lots of moral views of the war and women's place in 60's and 70's. My 40 year old daughter read it and thought it was one of the best books she had read. Her view was of not knowing anything about the Viet Nam war.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    21 days ago

I just finished listening to “How Lucky” by Will Leitch (and I feel lucky to have read it). I suspect it was recommended here. The protagonist (Daniel) is a 26 year old male with SMA (spinal muscular atrophy), who becomes involved in a kidnapping. SMA is a disease that affects the central nervous system and appears in infancy/early childhood. Enlightening for this disease, as well as individuals with other disabilities, is Daniel’s observations about how others view him versus how he’d prefer to be treated. Partway through, I looked up the author, sure that he was speaking from personal experience but, thankfully, no.

The chapters are short, so it’s easy to find a temporary stopping point (also easy to read “just one more chapter”).

Despite the grimness of SMA, positive points of view were woven into the story. I think a book club could find several topics to discuss.

• kathy_t
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

Juneroses - I agree. How Lucky is a wonderful book, and my book club found it very interesting also. After finishing the book, I watched an interview with the author. I learned that the son of one of Will Leitch's friends has SMA, and the boy was a close playmate of Will's son. That's how he knew so much about the disease and its effects. Here is the interview, in case you're interested.

• cleopatra66
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

I was reading **Good Night Irene** by Luis Alberto Urrea when my Libby library shut down for some changes. Hope it meets its scheduled completion tomorrow.

Synopsis: Historical fiction novel that follows the experiences of Red Cross volunteers Irene Woodward and Dorothy Dunford, who operate a Clubmobile to provide coffee, doughnuts, and companionship to American troops on the front lines during World War II. The author is Luis Alberto Urrea.

• faftris
    21 days ago

Table for Two, by Amor Towles is absolutely delicious so far. The stories are charming without being maudlin, and show a wry humor. Put it on your list.

• Bunny
    21 days ago

I’m on a long wait list for it.

• faftris
    21 days ago

So was I, but it's worth the wait!

• salonva
    20 days ago

I thought I posted a reply but anyway I just went on the wait list for it. My experience is it's always a lot shorter than they say, and I love the surprises of what is available.

I am # 56 on 3 copies. Not too bad. ( ebook)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    20 days ago

I finished Prequel and it was ok. We'll probably discuss at my nonfiction book group. It was good, but I found listening to the podcast which I'd done first far easier to absorb all the information. It's still a stunning time in history with parallels to what's happening today...she doesn't draw them, but they are easy to draw if you follow what's going on at all.

Next up is North Woods which I look forward to reading.

• faftris
    20 days ago

National Library Day today. What would life be like without libraries? Our town shares its library with an adjoining town, and we have a special library tax built into our property taxes. Other libraries are not as fortunate. If you have a spare moment, email your town library to thank them!

I did.

• salonva
    19 days ago

After These Is My Words, which was a 5 star....

I went for another memoir. This one, A Little Thing Called Life was a very good balance to some of the heavier books I have read lately. The author is Linda Thompson, who was Elvis' 4 1/2 year girlfriend (after he and Priscilla split up), the ex-wife of Bruce Jenner and David Foster. I don't think I knew this was all one and the same person. It was a good read, a good escape, but not the best written. Still a good ride. It did leave me wanting to know more about Elvis and other than first being interested when I visited Graceland over 10 years ago, I really haven't read much. Anyway this book was a low 3 star ( but a good mind cleanser just the same lol)

• jlsch
    17 days ago

Ladypat, I also just finished The Women for my bookclub. I am a bit of an outlier on this one, and would give it 3 1/2 stars. it was refreshing to read a book about the Viet Nam war as there are so many about WWII. I was also in high school during this time and remember the chaos of those times, and grew up in a liberal city with a university with ongoing protests. It was a good book for discussion but not my favorite book.

• faftris
    17 days ago

I read something that I should have read when I was in junior high. The Outsiders, by S. E. Hinton, a YA book that Hinton wrote when she was in high school. It's about the interactions of two groups of teens who are at opposite ends of the economic and social scales. It was really worth reading! It was a movie a while ago (did not see it), an off-Broadway musical, and it opened last night on Broadway to raves. I had no plans to see it, but I changed my mind after reading the book.

• chisue
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I'm halfway through A Visit From the Goon Squad, Jennifer Egan, and enjoying it very much. This and The Corrections are literature catch-ups for me, taken from a list of Great American Novels in The Atlantic. I can't argue about these being truthful portrayals of their times, but the overall feeling of a 'national shallowness' is discouraging. 4 Stars.

Steve Cavanaugh's Kill For Me, Kill For You is a mystery within mysteries. There are twists within twists. Neither DH nor I saw the ending coming. It's icky-good. We only caught one slip from this Dublin author who sets all his plots in NYC. (An elevator was a 'lift'.) 4 Stars if you're game.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I really enjoyed The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost (my March book. I limit myself), 3.5 out of 5. A delight and a unique view. I hoped she would delve more into her epiphanies is the only reason it's not a higher rating. Written well, and vivid imagery.

This month's book is from my friend who is a death doula. This book is written by a death doula The Collected Regrets of Clover. I'm two chapters in and I really appreciate their point of view, something that's not seen very often. I cried the entire second chapter. I think we are too afraid to talk about death, and I really appreciate what she's conveying. I can say this is going to be a lot of food for thought. Strange to think that death could be enjoyable, but she's written it in a relatable way.

• roxanna
    15 days ago

My local library is going to miss me for a while -- my usual haul from visiting there ranges between 12 and 20 books at a time! But I have decided recently to plunder my own personal library here at home. I have literally hundreds of interesting or beloved books that I want to re-read (personal bucket list, and I ought to get going on it!).

Recently re-read Kathleen Norris (The American Flaggs), some Joyce Stranger (Lakeland Vet, Breed of Giants), Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction, Amy Stewart (The Earth Moved), Lady Audley's Secret (written in 1862, and a hoot to read)... Still ahead: Sir Terry Pratchett, Louisa May Alcott (my home-town author), Francis Hodgson Burnett, Gene Stratton Porter, and the list goes on... Then there are the myriad volumes of British architecture and gardens (!!!!), and many general and specific gardening books (just finished one about mosses), Mayhew's 4-volume set of London Labor and the London Poor (1840 onward), and the wonderful Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (the sort of book that one dips into for limited amounts of time in between other readings).

I am nothing if not eclectic in my reading choices! It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble with the police... My DH and rest of the family are pleased about that. lol.

• lonestar123
    15 days ago

I am reading the series written by Elle Gray and her FBI agent Blake Wilder. I like the books and was really happy that my library has 19 of them so I have reading for awhile.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 days ago

Everything in moderation. Except reading?

ETA: came back to say it was a joke. Glad to see someone got it 😃

• faftris
    15 days ago

Yes, Lady Audley's Secret was a hoot! I

• salonva
    15 days ago

I am reading Becoming Nicole, which came up when my book club read Mad Honey. A few people said it was one of the best books about transgenderism,and one even said it was a life changing book.

I'm at about 60% and just not seeing it. It's a decent recounting, but I don't find it well written. I guess it's helpful explaining the matter, but at least at this point, more than halfway through, I am not impressed.

I am just going mention again, These Is My Words as being something not often mentioned ( for a change lol I have no idea where I came across it) but so worth reading.

• chisue
    15 days ago

I'm just starting This Is My Words. Three of the diarist's family have died. The girl's Quaker friend has been attacked by two white men and raped by one, and our diarist has shot and killed the rapist. One brother has lost a leg, and, unsurprisingly, her mother's mind has left her. A woman widowed during an Indian attack has left the wagon train and returned to Boston, still hauling three trunks of her clothes. Another woman has delivered a dead child after two days of labor in a covered wagon, then also died.

Better to read than to even imagine surviving -- much less as a seventeen-year-old.

• kathy_t
    15 days ago

Salonva and Chisue - You both have piqued my interest in These is My Words. However, I wonder if descriptions of truly terrible incidents continue throughout the entire novel. Would you describe the book as enjoyable reading? It sounds like it might be overwhelming.

• lily316
    15 days ago

The Devlins ...Lisa Scotoline

• chisue
    15 days ago

kathy_t -- I don't find it overwhelming. It's similar to the way Barry presented a 'warts and all' picture of the times in Days Without End. The first person recounting of tough times feels realistic, unlike the vast amount of romantic tales about the Old West.

Don't think that the tragedies are the whole story. Seeing our diarist accept them is just part of the You Are There experience.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Just finished North Woods and loved it. I've recommended it for book group for next year. Lots to discuss and such an interesting structure. The chapters are almost like individual short stories, but the common thread of the house in the woods plus the links between the characters tied to the house over centuries keep weaving their way into and out of the stories. So cleverly done, and well written to boot!

Next up, The Expendable Man. Part of my quest to suss out film noir novelists. This one by Dorothy B. Hughes.

• salonva
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Believe it or not, I did find These Is My Words to be an enjoyable read. It was eye opening for me as to describing what their daily lives were like but there were lots of sweet moments as well. I thought it was less brutal than Days Without End. I thought that was a good book as well but I was not as impressed with it.

• kathy_t
    14 days ago

Thanks for the info, Chisue and Salonva!

• faftris
    14 days ago

It is completely OT, but I thought we'd find this interesting. DD1 and I are thinking of taking a trip to Amsterdam. We always try to visit a library in our travels. It's one of our "things". We looked at the Amsterdam Library website and were amazed to learn that it isn't free. You have to pay an annual fee to join. There are levels of membership, ranging from a youth membership, to an e-book-only membership, where you aren't able to browse the shelves, to a limited membership, where you can take out only 20 books a year, to a full membership. Now, I realize that I pay for my library in my property taxes, but I found this fascinating. How lucky am I?

• salonva
    12 days ago

I finished Becoming Nicole, and thought while it was worth reading, I really didn't find it all that impactful. The "story" should have been or could have been gripping but I found the writing to be kind of blah- or detached.

I will miss the book club meeting for it but for me I give it a low 3 stars out of 5, maybe really a 2.75.

On with my memoire stroll that came out of nowhere but I'm enjoying, I just started Being Henry ( by Henry Winkler). It's got me interested .

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I finished The Expendable Man. It was Dorothy Hughes' last book published in 1963. The themes were quite modern though, especially with what's happening now. A great snap shot into the past and how well our current events rhyme with it. I'd give it 4 stars and think it would be good for book group, though, the trouble may be in finding enough copies/sources for it....which is a problem with a lot of these old noir writers. They were really popular in their day, but have since fallen off the plate due to all the new stuff always coming out.

Next up for fun Dirty Thirty...another in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich...they are always quick and fun.

• faftris
    8 days ago

I had to bail on Anna Quindlen's After Annie. It was about a young mother who dies of an aneurysm in the kitchen during dinner, and the effect on her family and friends. Too upsetting.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    7 days ago

My latest read was William Kent Krueger'sThe River We Remember. Like his other stand alone books, this one is most excellent and would be good for book club reading. 5 stars

• chisue
    7 days ago

Now I'm depressed. I had to struggle to finish Charming Billy, Alice McDermott. Don't misunderstand, it's great writing, but I'm nearly drowned in Irish Catholic alcoholics. I did enjoy the descriptions of Long Island summers. It's really faultless, but, oh my! 4.5 Stars.

• pudgeder
    7 days ago

I just finished The Housemaid.

First book I've read in awhile. I couldn't put it down.

• Bluebell66
    7 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

I am just about done with The Anxious Generation: How the Great Rewiring of Childhood is Causing an Epidemic of Mental Illness by Jonathan Haidt. It's fascinating and I highly recommend it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Finished Dirty Thirty by Janet Evanovich and it wasn't the best of the series by far...and it leaves a cliff hanger. The next one will be out this fall so I'll read it just to find out what happens next.

Up next is Exiles by Jane Harper which I thought was recommended here, but then I may have it confused with The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline which is also highly rated on goodreads...so I may end up reading both.

• chisue
    5 days ago

Michael Chabon's first novel was published in 1988: The Mysteries of Pittsburgh. Here I am in 2024 loving his tale ofa newly graduated young man, out to enjoy his freedom, staving off the adult world for just a little while longer...in Pittsburgh. I'm only third of the way in, but this is a winner. Highly recommended 4 Stars.

• Bookwoman
    5 days ago

Chabon - one of my favorite writers! The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is his masterpiece, IMO, but I've also loved many of his other books.

• faftris
    5 days ago

I am reading Kavalier and Clay right now. I am not sure how I missed it, but it is wonderful. I picked it because the Met Opera is doing a production based on it next season. I am not sure it lends itself to opera, but I am willing to give it a go.

• chisue
    2 days ago

Bookwoman -- No wonder reviewers stay miles away from these 'best sellers'. There's no audience. Romance fans don't care about 'settings', and the rest of us ignore these writers anyway. Although this example is indeed egregious, it's no different from the entertainment viewpoint on a 24 hour feed in the US.

• Bookwoman
    2 days ago

faftris, was it you who recommended Stella Gibbons' Nightingale Wood? I started it a couple of days ago and am having such fun!

• faftris
    20 hours ago

It was not I. I recommended Westwood. But guess what I am going to request from the library in 5 minutes?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 hours ago

OK, I'm not making this mistake again. Nightingale Wood... is that by Stella Gibbons? Or is it Nightingale Woods by Kathryn Brown? Or is it The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange? I like to add the recommended books here to my goodreads list but am finding I'm getting the wrong one with the same or similar title...

• Bookwoman
    9 hours ago

Stella Gibbons. For fans of Cold Comfort Farm.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bookwoman
  • vee_new
    6 hours ago

Watch the movie of Cold Comfort Farm which comes up on Youtube . . . I can't get it to 'show' here. It is very funny, directed by John Schlesinger and a line-up of many UK 'names' . . .Rufus Sewell, Sir Ian McKellan, Stephen Fry. You can almost smell the manure in the farmyard and it would help my US friends who are unable to see the humour of the book!