SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_gwynne

Removing mystery finish and refinishing 120yo pine floor

e gwynne
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

TL;DR: wtf is the original paint on the floor that won’t come off with stripper? Best way to refinish old white pine that isn’t poly? How to fix small areas of splintering without replacing boards?

We just purchased an 1899 house in Pittsburgh that needs a good bit of love. The white pine floors were covered in layers of jute-backed linoleum with a newspaper lining from late 40s or with wall-to-wall carpet from the early 70s. The house only had 4 owners before we bought it, the first owner had it less than a decade, so it is easy to guess when changes have been made to the house and to approximate materials used in floor coverings, paint, etc.

Upon removing all floor coverings we found that the hallways and the main two bedrooms had totally unfinished pine in the centers where it looked like area rugs/runners had once been. Surprisingly, this pine is still very light in many areas with little sign of oxidation, I suppose from being covered for 70 years. The perimeter was painted with some sort of multi-layer faux wood grain to look like a higher quality of wood. I have read that both of these things are rather common for the era. You can see the difference between the painted and unfinished wood in the main hall in a couple pictures, which for some reason seem to be uploading sideways.

Now, we want to refinish these floors, so I tried several no/low VOC paint strippers on an area of faux grain. The varnish (?) layer and the painted graining came right off and I was left with a cream-colored paint of some sort that is impervious to paint stripper, but chips right off the floor with your finger — which I don’t want to do in the event it contains lead.

I have scoured the internet for a week trying to find any information on what this paint is (possibly some sort of enamel?) and how to remove it, as it is also on the original panel work under the bedroom window (which we were stripping because it had been painted over white).

I know we will probably have to sand it off, but I’m trying to avoid a full sanding of the floors if I can. Some areas are badly stained with old dog urine, so it may be inevitable. The front bedroom floor has some bad water damage around the hearth which I assume is from the window being left open during a bad storm. The edge of the puddle stain is evident and some of the wood right in front is splintering badly. I plan to fill it with jb weld wood putty after treating it with their wood hardener product — anyone done this or suggest a better way without replacing the boards themselves?

I‘m looking for advice for a good staining/finishing product, too. I don’t mind having to wax the floor once every year or two, but it isn’t ideal. But I’m hesitant to use poly for fear of having to ever sand the floors again.

Thanks for sticking with me on this long post!

Comments (30)