SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okken

Refinishing old Pine floors

OKKen
10 years ago

Hello. We have a 105yr old house that we're refinishing some flooring in - three rooms of 4" pine, very few knots, no cracks/warping. The rooms were carpeted when we moved in. As we pulled the carpet up, we found old, dark stain about 3 feet out from each wall, but, no stain/finish had ever been applied in the centers of the rooms. I'm assuming this is where they had large rugs in the day and they simply pulled the edges of the rugs back and stained the visible wood that the rugs didn't cover. So, I rented a drum sander and edger, got all of the old stain/varnish/finish off and sanded down the entire surface with 36/80/120 (the aged wood must be all the way through... we probably sanded off a good 1/8th inch of surface and the dark never came out). Now, however, we have large dark/aged rectangle areas in the centers of the rooms where no stain/finish was ever applied (see pic), and much lighter wood where the finish/stain once was. I'm assuming that the stain/finish preserved the original wood and kept it from naturally aging, wheres the areas that were only covered by rugs have aged.

Obviously, we want to even this up as much as reasonably possible, but, not sure how. I've read that I can feather in a light stain on the lighter areas in order to match up the darker areas, then start from there with whatever overall stain/finish we want. Is this true?

We would like to end up with a low-sheen/matte finish that doesn't look plastic. We don't want it to look like we just installed all brand new flooring - we're hoping to maintain some of the historical authentic look/feel. But, I'm also worried about working with pine and the blotchy-ness potential. One option I'm looking at is using raw dark Tung oil, but, really have zero experience with stains/finishes.

I have two questions:
1) What can be done to even up these dark rectangles to the lighter un-aged areas?
2) What are recommendations to achieve that nice low-sheen luster on pine and end up with a medium to 'light'-dark color?

Comments (4)