SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

I Need to Stop Trying to Improvise While Baking

ritaweeda
4 years ago

I wanted to use up some things but couldn't really find a recipe exactly for what I wanted. So I improvised with a recipe that was similar. Didn't work. And I should have known better. I'm pretty good at it for just regular cooking improv but baking is another story. The taste turned out great but the texture was dry and tough. The original recipe was for a banana cake which called for buttermilk. I had bananas but I also had mangoes and wanted to use both, also I didn't have buttermilk but did have some Greek yogurt. So I found online where you can substitute buttermilk by using 2/3 yogurt and 1/3 milk, which is what I did. And I did the bananas and mangoes half and half, mashed. The cake tasted really good but it was very dry. I followed the recipe all the way for everything else, the recipe called for butter, eggs, sugar, salt, flour, soda, nuts, vanilla, rum. The frosting I made was very good, though - I had never made it this way. I found a recipe for making frosting from yogurt, it's a keeper. I like to bake but I'm in no way a baking expert, so what did I do wrong?

Comments (15)