SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianasplace

Quick Kids Bathroom Redesign!

B Carey
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Still waiting on bids, but the plumbing bid makes me sick! My kids' rooms are all in the basement. It was really important to me that they all had a nice built in desk space and built in bed so their bedrooms can be used as living space. This is the main reason I put them in the walkout basement so I didn't feel guilty about their spaces. My littlest one wanted a secret room, which I managed to do. The oldest wanted a space for pottery, which I was hoping could be done in the closet by the window and separate the "closet" with a curtain or something for her. My son has 2 closet spaces as he has a lot of electronic and hunting/fishing stuff.

Guest/Craft room-I was already thinking about relocating this powder room, but now thinking to just make my son's accessible from the hallway and use for the basement also. I would rather not have my girls' bathroom accessible from the hallway. I would have loved a true workout room, but figured I could use half this room for a craft wall with murphy table and then still have a recliner, queen bed, and treadmill.

Initially, I was planning to have my girls share a toilet/tub space. I fell in love with the idea of an L bathroom as they both need a good sized makeup space and do the sink on the other part of the L. I do like the idea of these spaces being separated, but am open to having them also share a larger makeup space as long as they both have their own 4 foot or so makeup counter...especially if the overall space was nicer. Most kids bathrooms seem very tight to me. I also wanted good sized closets for both of them so they can keep all their clothes plus the crazy amount of craft/sports/etc stuff. The nook off one girls bedroom hallway was for a display shelving...it just fit in their so nicely! I'm trying to give them both very nice spaces as the oldest will likely like at home beyond college.

I do think that I could save (gain) space by having both girls spaces accessed off a single hallway versus the 2 hallways coming off the main hall. I don't want closet/bathroom doors in the bedrooms themselves as all the walls are already planned..lol. But I think there is a lot that could be done to make the bathroom/closet/hallway spaces better. The W/D space can also be moved, although I do like it off the hallway. The girls could share 1 sink. But I think I would save a good amount eliminating the 2nd toilet/tub in their space and then also using my sons bath as a powder bath too..but preferably accessed from his room also. We don't have overnight guests often and they are just grandparents. Otherwise, the basement is the kids space! So my daughters friends would use their bathrooms.

I do have an extra 1-2 feet that can be added between the girls rooms as the secret room and booth were both made about 1 foot too wide and the framed foundation wall is drawn 2 inches too wide on both sides.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County