SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yslahny

Laundry room layout

yslahny
5 years ago

Hi,

Several months back, I posted for help regarding a design dilemma/architect issue (we are building a home) and received a lot of useful advice and guidance, for which I am greatly thankful. A few weeks ago, we broke ground and framing should start in a week or so, weather permitting.

These forums have been invaluable and I've spent hours and hours reading about kitchen cabinets, tubs, faucets, toilets, etc. We knew building a home would be a huge undertaking, but I didn't realize how much went into, let's say, picking a toilet!

Anyway, I'm again asking for advice, this time regarding our laundry room layout. We've checked with our contractor, and he's given us the go to make changes (and let him know before he frames it). Current layout per the architect's plan is below. The room is about 8' x 8'7" and is on the second floor. The door opens from a hallway that leads to bedrooms and unfortunately can't be moved, but I would like to center the window on that back wall.

Ideally, I would like:

• counter space for folding
  • hang space (preferably tall, so it's easier to steam dress shirts, dress pants, etc)
  • closet to store steamer/ironing board and cleaning supplies

In the present layout, that linen closet would be the supply storage, but I'm not sure about the hang space (unless we use the Ikea-type drying racks on the left wall - although I'm not crazy about those). I also don't know what size sink would actually fit in that space.

I realize I might be asking too much for the limited space. I played around with several options (and tried not to put any plumbing on the exterior wall), and below are three my husband and I think might have some merit.

Option 1:

Mostly the same as the current layout but would allow for a slightly bigger sink. I will gain some hang space but would lose counter space, unless I go with a smaller sink.

Option 2A:

We might have to have some sort of enclosure for the washer and dryer (so we're not seeing the side of the machine as soon as you walk in the door) and add a counter above it for a folding area (so no pedestals). No upper cabinets above it, just above the sink.

Option 2B:

Just a slight variation from Option 2A, by moving that bottom wall just enough so I can fit a hanging rod in that nook. That wall backs into a guest bath that has some extra space, but I wouldn't want to take more than a foot from it.

I don't know if we're overthinking this, but any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (32)