SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucigabrielle76

2 Cash offers fell through before inspections! Time for a new agent?

Luci Gabrielle
5 years ago

We just listed our home in Upstate NY a few months ago. In that time we have received lots of interest (our house was the most-viewed on Zillow). Then we received 2 offers - both Cash - that backed out before the inspections even took place!

Buyers #1 made a full-price Cash offer. Then it turned out they needed a mortgage! The story was that “they didn’t realise that a Cash offer is not the same as Pre-approved” (??) Then, after weeks of dragging their feet, not signing the contract, and not scheduling an inspection, they backed out because one of them "lost their job.”

So we went back to Buyers #2, who had made a cash offer for $25,000 less than our ask. We signed their offer, our lawyer sent the contract, and then, like Buyers #1, they stalled, and then backed out due to “health problems.”

Our lawyer can’t believe it - he said “You can’t make this stuff up!” He said it’s "1 in a 1,000” that a deal doesn’t close - and now we’ve had TWO “1 in a 1,000s” - both at the same time!

Now, Buyers #1 could have been newbies who didn’t know better, but isn’t the Buyer’s Agent responsible for verifying that their clients actually have the cash before making a “Cash” offer??? Or at least explaining to them the difference between “Cash” and “Pre-Approved”? Every time WE have bought a property with cash, we had to provide proof of funds. It seems highly unethical not to do so before making an offer.

Buyers #2 did at least submit a proof of funds before making the cash offer.

And what about OUR agent? Is this just really bad luck, or is something weird going on that our agent keeps bringing these weirdos who aren’t serious?

Both times, there was no inspection scheduled within 10 days, and in the first case, two weeks went by with no contract. Then a contract was signed but no deposit. Only when I asked our agent what was going on did she email the Buyer’s Agent expressing our concerns (at which point they said they had to back out).

I realise that a seller really doesn’t have any leverage until the deposit is actually put down and the inspection is approved, but I’m getting the feeling that our agent is not being aggressive enough in closing the deal - or not, and moving on. I’m also not sure how aggressively she was showing the house in the interim.

Does a Seller’s Agent have a responsibility to keep showing the house aggressively until there is actually a deposit put down?

We are wondering if we should report the first Buyer’s Agent to the National Association of Realtors, and also whether it is time for a new realtor?

Many thanks,

Luci

Comments (17)