SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eden_manor

Contract fell through--well water!

Eden-Manor
10 years ago

I finally got a contract on my home. Everything went swimmingly, but then we had our well test. The water came back with Coliform bacteria, so rather than shocking the well (temporary solution), we decided we would install a UV system ($2000). Well, the potential buyers then decided that a UV system wasn't good enough--that we needed to install a new well for them away from the woods and natural springs. They also wanted extensive testing done on our well to make sure that there wasn't any damage done to the well. Bacteria in well water is common and our well is pretty young (9 years).

We, obviously, were devastated at the thought of bacteria in our drinking water--and fixed it with the best solution as we have small children who are drinking it! Part of the reason we love being on a well is that we don't want chlorinated water, so a UV filter was the best solution, we thought.

Are we missing something here? The potential buyer accused us of being stubborn and misinformed for not wanting to put in a new well.

I'm now totally over-thinking this and wonder what went wrong.

A new well seems like such an extreme measure here. Our well is fine! The UV System is wonderful. Two tests have come back clean.

Meanwhile, after a month of being off the market, our home is now back on again. It is such a roller coaster.

Edited to remove those annoying links!

This post was edited by Eden-Manor on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 16:56

Comments (19)