SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

How do you like your eggs?

Well, I do like many prepared varieties. I'm 'easy' for the most part. But raw whites turn me off.

Comments (46)

• lisaam
    5 years ago

I def like moist golden yolks but have always feared sunny side up because of the chance of runny whites. Talking about eggs will lead me to trying to convert everyone to steaming rather than boiling eggs in the shell. It's been a game changer for me.

• pkramer60
    5 years ago

I adore eggs.. I will eat them any which way they are made, and can chug a raw one too.

• Related Discussions

How much do you charge for your eggs?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have fourteen chickens and some days I will get fourteen eggs. But almost always I get at least ten. They did take a week off and only layed three eggs. My brother in law won't let me just give him eggs . He insists on paying $1.50. Which is reasonable. Otherwise I would charge $1. Year around. If eggs go down or if they go up. My close neighbors I just give them to them. If my kids were small I would leave it up to them. It is a good way for them to learn how to make and manage money. An egg delivery business would really be good for kids. I have a feeling that I am a little old fashioned though. My hens are red hens and very happy chickens. They sing all the time. Linda
    ...See More

How do you like my dinosaur egg planter

Q

Comments (10)
    thanks for all the compliments! I don't have anyone other than my DH that I can get critiques from and "oh, that's cool!" is not very constructive..grins. Kim: I forgot to add a drainage hole to this planter so will just use a pot to put inside it. I think I will use a small pot cause I like the inside color too! I am too chicken to try and drill a hole now. Power tools don't always agree with me...another story. Laurie
    ...See More

Pickled Eggs

Q

Comments (8)
    Lol, one year I decided to fix pickled eggs for a family function. I chose a Chinese recipe that was called something like "One hundred year egg" or "Century egg". As I recall there were beets involved and they turned pink. I placed them among my Deviled Eggs on a tray along with some home grown Italian Parsley. I thought the plate looked very nice and colorful, but there was a "minor revolt" in the family, since I had done a change to their favorite dish. Who would have thought that eggs would be a controversial topic. Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Eggs
    ...See More

So, How Do You Like Your...............?

Q

Comments (29)
    The day after late DH and I came home from our honeymoon, it was a Sunday morning, and I made him fried eggs and bacon for breakfast. One of the yokes broke....and when he saw it, refused to eat it and said "you're lucky - my father would have thrown it at you". Oh boy, was I tempted to do something....but I didn't. I just told him that HE was lucky HE didn't have egg on his face, for saying that. I also never gave him a broken egg yolk again.
    ...See More
  • CA Kate z9
    5 years ago

I too like eggs many ways. I suppose my favorite would be poached - with runny yolk - on top of hash browns.

• User
    5 years ago

Runny yolk and firm whites.....just as long as I get rid of that white yucky thing ; )

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago

My favorite way to have eggs are poached on buttered toast. My runner-up is soft scrambled in butter where the eggs are loose and tender. I do not enjoy fried eggs or eggs prepared any way in black cast iron.

• amylou321
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like them every way I think. Scrambled with ir without cheese or fried in butter, hard boiled on a salad or with lots salt,poached on toast, however.I am not picky about the yolk. It can be cooked through completely or running all over. But, like you I cant take an uncooked white.

I try to eat an egg or 2 every day.

• Lars
    5 years ago

I don't like runny yolks either, and therefore I do not like poached or fried eggs - I prefer scrambled over either of those, but normally I make omelets. I also like frittatas and quiche. I used to make frittatas in black cast iron, but recently I bought a new 10" non-stick pan with metal handle that can go into the oven, and I use that instead now because the frittatas were sticking to the cast iron. I also like to make breakfast burritos and migas.

I don't like soft boiled eggs, but I will make deviled eggs or egg salad with hard boiled eggs. I saw on Youtube that if you put a pin prick in the end of the egg (I forget which end), it will be easier to peel. I haven't found steaming eggs to be consistently better than boiling to make them easier to peel. What I did find important is to shock the eggs in cold water after boiling and then peel them right away. If they sit for any time, they become more difficult to peel, whether they have been boiled or steamed.

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Scrambled, hard boiled, or poached. Don't care for fried.

Recently had my first soft boiled in a bowl of ramen. It was so good!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 years ago

Fried hard and nicely seasoned. yep. I also like omelettes and quiche but not scrambled, poached, hard boiled or anything runny.

• Feathers11
    5 years ago

I love eggs and eat them for lunch most days. One of life's simple pleasures is, after frying and serving them, going back to the pan and scraping off the crunchy, salty leftover bits.

• User
    5 years ago

Any way you cook them, The ad says it all, " The incredible, edible, egg."

• foodonastump
    5 years ago

Chase remember that chalaza martini I made (picture) for you? Seems a lifetime ago.

I’d like sunny side up if I could get the whites right but I can’t so over easy works for me. Or scrambled, on the wet, underdone side. Or omelette, browned outside wet-ish inside.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Frittatas, the classic omelet, hard boiled on the soft side. A really well prepared classic coddled or poached. Out and about (diner/brunch restaurant) I ask for over easy broken yolk since I trust no-one, : )

I've perfected many recently. My SIL visited recently and wanted p

ched..."no problem!"...DH makes a classic omelet to order.

But I have a favorite I don't see often. A few close friend co-workers Brazilian, Venezuelan, Bolivian, Guatemalan, (first language)

We call it 'varigated'

• lizbeth-gardener
    5 years ago

Anyway that doesn't involve a runny yoke or white! I like soft scrambled with a bit of milk or cream added, hard boiled (actually I steam and they always peel easily), quiches, frittatas and deviled eggs.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

Poached soft, boiled soft or medium, cheese veggie and salsa omelette, scrambled with onions and mushrooms. Pretty much every way except for fried over easy or sunny-side up.

Original Author
    5 years ago

• plllog
    5 years ago

Straight eggs rather than egg dishes? Sunnyside up for fried (I tip a heavy lid over the pan to get the top of the white to cook without overcooking the yolk).

My current favorite egg dish? Omelette bread. It's French toast but with eggs rather than custard. I discovered it accidentally when I realized I'd left out the milk after the bread was already soaked. It requires the same kind of open textured bread and thick cut as regular French toast, but while enriched bread is also the best (though sourdough is great too), it shouldn't be sweetened. Aerate the heck out of the seasoned eggs. Fry in butter (brown butter is good, or blond if you want a more traditional omelette flavor), in a small pan, pouring the excess egg over the bread to run down the sides. Flip when the omelette is just getting set but still soft on top. The eggs will hang off the bread and finish in the heat without touching the pan. If it's too big for that, cut them off so they don't overcook.

That said, I love custards, from quiche to ice cream. :) And souffles. :) And fried egg sandwiches. :) And stuffed omelettes. And perfect, fluffy fluffy fluffy omelettes not folded. :) And properly made eggs benedict (eggs with egg sauce). :) And shakshuka and huevos rancheros. ;)

I don't really care for the kind of spongy yellow scrambled eggs they say on TV are "perfect". I prefer them pan scrambled with bits of white showing, and pepper flecks, and more of a curds shape, but not dry.

I should make some omelette toast.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

I like poached eggs on toast best. If I order friend eggs sunny side up when at a restaurant, I also ask that they be basted so that the white that covers the yolk is cooked but the yolk is runny. I like all types of eggs.

• User
    5 years ago

FOAS , that picture is engrained in my mind.....forever to haunt me. A serious yuck! Maybe even life altering.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

I like eggs enough that I have my own chickens to lay them for me. (grin) I have a favorite pan, an old black cast iron skillet that's so well seasoned it's slick, and I pretty much have designated that for egg cooking. We do have a big Aeternum skillet coated with white ceramic. Elery likes that for eggs, it holds more.

I have an egg for breakfast pretty much every day. Over easy, nearly always. I want the yolks runny and the whites done but I don't want edges browned or crispy. If I have two eggs I don't care as much, because I'll eat the yolks and let the dog have the whites. I put eggs on pancakes or over hash browns or just eat them with toast. Elery also has eggs for breakfast every day, but he puts his on a bed of lettuce, adds beans or whatever leftovers we have from the day before, adds a couple of soft eggs and lots of sliced hot peppers.

I don't care for boiled eggs except deviled. I don't put them on salads or eat them plain, but I do add them to potato salad. Elery will halve them, remove the yolk and fill the indentation with salsa. I do like egg drop soup, though.

I'm also not a fan of scrambled eggs or omelettes, but I will eat quiche or frittata and I like egg custard type dishes like french toast or bread pudding.

Annie

Original Author
    5 years ago

I meant to follow this up immediately with my favorite BrazilianVarigated but I made a frittata instead. oy, I'll get to it next weekend.

I've had so many I don't care for, like Annie, don't crisp my edges. or too much butter.

• foodonastump
    5 years ago

Re the crispy edges... Growing up my mom would make eggs, sunny side up (“Spiegelei”) and all was fine until one night my egg had “sticks” in it. It was many years before I touched a fried egg again!

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Let's see: Soft cooked, hard cooked, poached and slightly runny, in omelets, scrambled with large curds a la Test Kitchen NOT like Gordon Ramsey's method. (Pillog's scrambled sound good.) Scrambled eggs also have to be eaten within 10-15 minutes of cooking them, or they just texturally go out the window.

Fried, either over easy (if I'm out) or sunny side up (if I cook them because I make sure the whites are white and not gooey - I cover the skillet). I loathe crispy-edged fried eggs.

Deviled eggs (mother's recipe includes mild curry powder), quiches with at least a couple types of cheese involved, and with veggies such as spinach or broccoli and/or mushrooms..., bacon is okay (as long as there are also veggies).

I do NOT like ketchup anywhere near my eggs. And tomatoes in omelets render them soggy.

I have 11 laying hens, so I have to keep up with them!!! Indeed, I just had an omelet for dinner: cheese, beef, mushrooms, snow peas, ground pepper. (No, this really was the first and only eggs for the day...)

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

Pretty much any way, but no runny whites! I know it's "trendy", but I LOVE avacado eggs!

I don't do a big deal with the avacado, just mash it with a couple of tablespoons of hot salsa, toast a crispy english muffin with a little cheese (and occasionally some chopped bacon) and top with a fried egg! Mmmmm, Mmmmmmm, Mmmmmm!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Fried eggs in browned butter - sunny side up, runny yolk, S&P, definitely crispy edges, sometimes in a breakfast sandwich on toasted bread with American cheese and "Bac'uns", sometimes with just toast drizzled with the browned butter from the pan, and dipped in the yolk.

But what I eat every day is 2 eggs scrambled w/ a pinch of tarragon & cooked in butter, not too wet, not too dry.

And I love egg salad too - I make it with mayo, dijon mustard, chopped parsley, green onion & celery leaves & have it open faced on lightly toasted bread.

Quiches for sure, and custards.

• roy4me
    5 years ago

I like my eggs in cakes and cookies.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

homemade eggnog is a fave here. yes, I cook it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Yes please! I love eggs like I love chicken. Every way you can possibly prepare them.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Eye of Ra. Take a piece of bread and make a 1-1/2" +/- hole in the middle. Melt butter in a hot skillet and lay the bread in it for a few seconds, then flip. Crack the egg into the hole and cook for a minute or two, depending on how runny you like your yolk. Flip and finish.

• nancyofnc
    5 years ago

fawnridge - we call Eye of Ra - "Egg in a Hat" - made the same but the hole from the bread ( a lot larger than 1") is also toasted in the pan while the egg is cooking then served with the "hat" on top.

My favorite way to have eggs is any and all ways. Wish I could raise chickens so I could have them every day but we have local foxes, raccoons, hawks, snakes, cats, etc. and it seems that everyone likes eggs so I just buy them from the 8 neighbors of the 9 on my road who raise chickens. Their cages are like fortresses!!!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    5 years ago

I like my eggs freshly laid and usually over easy or in a omelette, My last old biddy hen finally died a couple months ago so I plan to buy a half dozen chicks in March. It will be September before we start getting the cute little pullet eggs. In the mean time I can get fresh eggs from a couple neighbors.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Nancy - It's also called a Rocky Mountain Omelet. The good thing is, over the 37 years I've been going to Jamaica, I've taught scores of omelet chefs how to make it all over the island. So, if you travel to Jamaica, chances are pretty good you can get an Eye of Ra for breakfast.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

My favorite way is most definitely poached with about half or more of the whites discarded over buttered hard toast. I toast the bread and let it sit in the toaster for about 15 minutes or so while I make my eggs. I MUST have fresh local eggs and the yolks MUST be runny, whites firm.....then I am in heaven, as in, eyes rolled into the back of my head!

I also like a good egg sandwich that I can only cook for myself at home because no restaurant does it quite right for me. Toasted english muffin, a bit of mayo, sliced tomato, over easy egg (again, most of the whites removed) and crispy bacon.

Egg salad while still warm, open face over hard toast.....yum!

Guess I am having eggs for supper tonight, hope my neighbor has a dozen or two ready for me!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I love poached eggs, but since I'm not supposed to eat wheat, don't care for them over fake bread or most other substitutes, except vegetable or corned beef hash, so I rarely eat them that way. Otherwise, 4 minute egg, or sunny side up (with crispy edges, most definitely). Shakshuka, eggs baked in greens, deviled eggs, eggs baked in cream.

Oh, and sleevendog, thanks for those cookbook pages. I haven't thought of eggs goldenrod in many years.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

@ fawnridge - my dad used to make those eggs in toast for us when we were little. I think he called it 'Toad in the Hole', even though that's another dish entirely, because it sounds so amusing. Isn't it a.k.a. 'eggs in a nest'?

I also remember eating a lot of soft boiled eggs served in egg cups with toast to dip in the runny yolks. I still have a couple vintage egg cups from my English grandpa and great aunts, with a large base to hold a second egg and keep it warm, but who uses egg cups anymore these days?

It's funny, when I looked up these type of egg cups, it appears many people have them upside down:

When they're supposed to be like this:

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I always thought the double-sided egg cups were meant to be used whichever way the egg fit best?

Speaking of toast strips, does anyone know why they are sometimes called "soldiers" when cut that way?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Seems a British thing, writersblock. Things lined up in straight rows are often referred to as 'soldiers', IME.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I should have photographed all the pages. A version of Ricky's was listed remember called something '...in a Hat'. Finishing the toasted cut-out piece on top to serve.

I really like all the South American egg scrambles. This book was discussed at work so we all shared our favorites. A Brazilian and a Venezuelan I discovered like the same 'variegated'. Similar to the country style pic above. (my Brazilian friend calls them variegated). Makes sense.

Pan medium, melt a small pat of butter. Crack in pan two eggs, turn down heat to low. Cook low and slow until whites solidify, no crispy edges. Yolk still tender runny. Add tbsp fresh salsa, chopped avocado...or any handy veg, spinach, etc., a bit of crumbled queso or feta. Stir folding so the egg white and yolk yellow are not a fast scramble...variegated.

Even just a simple quick egg I prefer this way. A bit of dill is nice. I like the flavor of the yolk even if partially cooked.

• roy4me
    5 years ago

A story about me and soft boiled eggs.

I gag at the thought of runny yolks.

When I was in college I stayed home one day because I was sick.

My kind hearted dad fixed soft boiled eggs and toast and brought it to me in bed.

Knowing it would break his heart of if I didn't eat, I gagged it down.

I was still sick the next day and he repeated the breakfast.

I decided no matter how sick I was the next day, I was going to school!

He was a great dad and I miss him every day.

• plllog
    5 years ago

Like "dead soldiers" are empty wine bottles? I always imagined it was a way to get little boys to eat their breakfasts, like calling broccoli trees like the dinosaurs ate. The lined up in rows makes sense. :)

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

If I recall, the smaller size of an egg cup was to hold an egg in a shell and you removed the top 1/4 or so of the shell to eat it. The large part was to put a soft boiled egg w/o the shell. I seem to remember you could get 2 SB eggs in there. I might be dreaming! Who knows?

• plllog
    5 years ago

Nancyjane, I don't know about the quantity, but indeed, in my youth, I was on a soft boiled egg kick (before I learned to poach). My father bought me a beautiful English china egg cup, shaped like the ones in Carol's pictures. It definitely was supposed to hold the egg in shell in the small part, or open the egg and dump it out of the shell in the large part. You recall correctly.

He also got me a special egg topper tool. It's a ring with scissors style rings. Push the rings together and triangular spikes come out all around the inner part of the ring, piercing the egg and making a perfect teaspoon sized opening. If one is swift and sure, it doesn't even leave any calcium grit.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

plllog, interesting to hear about the egg shears. I’ve seen them, but you’re the only one i’ve known who used them.

Slightly OT bit of egg trivia: Louis XV was famous for his ability to knock the top off a boiled very precisely with one blow. So he was condemned to eat eggs, which he actually disliked, at every meal, since the public was allowed in to watch the royal family dine and people were disappointed if they didn’t get to see it.

ed for typo

• John Liu
    5 years ago

I like eggs in practically any form. The most fun to make, for me, is omelettes but if a bird laid it, I like it.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

And then there are those times when a raw egg is perfect, too. I can't imagine having tobiko at the sushi bar without a raw quail egg on top.