SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhjohnson1131

Den - Need help to "finish this room" - PLEASE HELP!!!

Jan Johnson
5 years ago

We have new Den furniture and I need help finishing this room. Need tables, accessories. The sofa and chairs have to stay as they are new. I almost cried when this was delivered because it looks so "old". The navy leather sofa and all chairs are custom from Hancock and Moore. I'm sure there's some way to tie this room altogether and not have it look like an old lady, but I just don't know what to do, so I've done nothing. PLEASE HELP

Comments (46)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Your furniture looks comfortable and navy is such a great neutral (imo). I wonder though if this is an optimal furniture arrangement for this room? Have you tried the sofa on the wall where the chairs are?

Don't despair. People here have that designer eye where they can see what a room "needs". You'll get plenty of suggestions, I'm sure.

Jan Johnson thanked tartanmeup
  • anna_682
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

New rug, new tables, new arrangement, drapes, etc will help it all come together. There are some very talented designers here that can help you. Do not worry. Lovely house.

Jan Johnson thanked anna_682
  • Related Discussions

New furniture arrived - Please help finish the room

Q

Comments (17)
    I like desert solatares rug the most. I think that will make the room look really rich. Do you have a relationship with any business near you who will let you take a rug home without committing? I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but what you have to the right of the entertainment center isn't really adding to the room and is distracting, IMO. I think you might consider pulling them off the wall and do something more to the scale of the room with a little more pizazz. (not necessarily in the same spot). I like your long drapes along your window wall. I want one of the lamps sameboat linked!! I don't know which one, but I will have one of those lamps!! Also, with high ceilings that kind of lamp is suppose to make the room feel a little more cozy. For what it is worth, I like the X tables. Maybe you could find a table in that style with a fabric or color instead. You seemed to like a few rugs with pops of orange. I think that would be a really good accent color if you decide to add a little color. Neutrals are great too--so either way you have a beautiful room.
    ...See More

Please help finish dining room

Q

Comments (34)
    I put a black and white abstract artwork on that wall to provide more contrast and added a chair next to the bar to balance it a bit. I am now playing around with the tablescape. I may incorporate some red in with the silver and gold on the table. I’m also considering adding some peep and stick grass cloth wallpaper behind the abstract art in either light grey or tan or beige/gold. Thoughts?
    ...See More

Help finish dining room please

Q

Comments (8)
    I think the furniture is great, very vintage. have you considered painting the tall cabinet in a color, i think lacquering it would be awesome. maybe navy. i would paint the walls a warm white. a fun blue upholstery fabric for the seats that brings in a bit of the blue from the kitchen area would look great. those three things plus a new more updated chandelier to me will help update the room and yet keep a vintage feel. heres what navy blue lacquer can look like. and a few ideas for a chandelier.
    ...See More

I need help finishing this room

Q

Comments (18)
    A natural fiber rug can pull everything together. Adding (tall) wooden sconces on each side of the picture is an option also. Wired ones especially nice. Or shelves with a couple vases.
    ...See More
  • Susie .
    5 years ago
    Lamps, art, drapes, rug. Just make sure you don’t get old lady lamps, drapes and art. Decorative throws on a couch to break up the dark.
    Jan Johnson thanked Susie .
  • Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for these suggestions. As far as the layout, we've tried it many other ways. I'll try to add the photos here tomorrow. And painting, where would you end the color? The room is open to hallway which is 2 story and open to the dining room. On the other end, it's open to eat-in kitchen, so I'm not sure where to "end" a new color. I'm just looking for specifics on how to accessorize. I had a decorator come and she wanted me to remove the fireplace and some other things....and that's just a NO lol

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

That's an interesting idea, annied75! Do you think you have enough room for that, Jan? Here's an article to calculate tv viewing distances.

• annied75
    5 years ago
    I wouldn't change the wall color, however, I'm the type that prefers the same wall color throughout the main areas.
    Jan Johnson thanked annied75
  • Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

I think just paint an accent wall (just the one where the two matching chairs are) in the light blue that is in the two chairs. Then add some art. I really think that @Annied75 's idea of moving the TV is great too. Then a nice art piece over the fire place.

Jan Johnson thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • Susie .
    5 years ago
    I don’t think the wall color is bad. It’s the pink in the rug that’s throwing it off. Find something that’s more than one color, but has some light color in it it as well. It’s too much contrast with the navy. If the wall color is throughout, I’d just leave it. Get some accessories in there and it will look less like a furniture store. There’s also a lot of matchy going on, and you need to break it up. Ditch the matching pillows and find something plain or geometric.
    Jan Johnson thanked Susie .
  • kootenaycapable
    5 years ago
    I think tables in a gold tone that picks up on your nailhead trim would take it away from the old lady look. I have seen some real nice ones on Houzz.
    Jan Johnson thanked kootenaycapable
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

My first thought was putting bright yellow lumbar pillows on the upholstered chairs to make them feel "younger" And maybe lose the matching pillows on the sofa.

Jan Johnson thanked kulrn
  • domianj
    5 years ago

Following.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Fan lights are not intended to do the duty of task and accent lighting. Generally, they are ambient lights and should be turned off or dimmed very low once you're in the room and the other lights (table, floor, art and uplights) take over to warm and cozy the space. The rug is rather "granny" as is the style of the print chairs, but you can distract the eye from that. I too prefer the TV on the wall as arranged by annied75. That will open up the mantel for a striking piece of art. You need accessories that add a bit more of the metal from your nailhead trim.

Jan Johnson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! Can any of you give specifics? Here are photos of 2 additional layouts I've tried. Please never mind the tables. I need specifics as I am Decor-challenged :)

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

The last pics show Annied75's furniture layout suggestion. It looks good. How does it feel to you? Would the TV work on the wall in front of the sofa?

I'd be very tempted by that layout and would look for a light-coloured media console table for the TV - something with legs so it's not too visually heavy. Simple, contemporary lines. This is just an example. No clue if size or colour would work for the room.

OKL - sideboard

Or perhaps something darker but with dimension.

I like the idea of gold-toned side tables to echo the sofa and chair nailheads. Nothing too delicate though because the scale should match that of the seating pieces.

Alayna 24" End Table Antique Gold Leaf Clear Beveled Tem · More Info

Not sure if glass tops are practical for you.

Maybe something like this? Interesting shape, light colour. (This is too white, I think.)

Spar Point Chairside Table · More Info

Contemporary art above the fireplace.

Pillows with blues, ivory, corals and or pinks?

How would velvet look on your print chairs?

Would you have need for a floor lamp? Room for a tripod one?

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Here's a round drum shaped end table that might be interesting. Not a good choice if you need storage beyond media bits and bobs the console would hold.

Alvar End or Side Table in Antique Gold · More Info

• partim
    5 years ago

The room looks best with the sofa facing the long wall, and move the TV to that wall. Your room will look so much more welcoming, more balanced.

When you say you need tables and accessories, what accessories do you have in mind? Are you keeping your existing rug? Would you add drapes to the French doors to give it a more finished look.

You can add a younger look by some more unusual choices in pillows etc. For example, putting the chair-fabric pillows on the sofa, to me, is an old look. Put those pillows back on their matching chairs, and get some pillows for the sofa that are heavily textured, e.g. a furry white flokati style. I would also suggest some color that is opposite the color wheel from your blue seating, to give it some life e.g. smaller items such as pillows, throws etc that have some attractive "orange" colors e.g. rust, cognac. It will go well with your wood floors and any gold/bronze accents.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

One problem I see is that the carpet is too small, which gives the room a "temporary", unfinished look. Also, the light color does not ground the dark blue furniture. Go to esale.rug, Rugs.usa or ebay and find a much larger rug which has some warm colors in it in addition to blue, like this Arcadia rug from esale.rugs (it's on sale!)

It will give some life and warmth to your room. Find a glass and metal coffee table for a modern look, and go from there. A large green plant or two will also give another color to your scheme. Large pieces of art on the wall will make your space more interesting and personal.

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • annied75
    5 years ago

I'm a little bias, however, I like the couch facing the long wall. I would not angle the two printed chairs. This will also give you a little room to maneuver around them. I agree to add some accessories in orange or even green, but would be hesitant to add more prints. Your chairs shouldn't have to compete with other items.

Your choice of Hancock & Moore is a good one. I have a vintage chair and ottoman in navy leather and love it.

• lorraine368
    5 years ago

I agree with Annied75. Her room arrangement is spot on. There is too much attention on the fireplace. Having the big tv over the mantel just draws too much attention. Moving the couch will naturally make a hallway or walking /traffic flow past the couch to the patio doors. The traffic will pass behind the couch. The heavy couch will balance the big dark tv sitting on a low, long tv console table. You need a weighty table between the two patterned chairs with a heavy lamp.

Jan Johnson thanked lorraine368
  • Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! I'm changing the layout. The pics I posted above of when I arranged it like Annied75 drew out - I had not moved the rug. It's kind of cumbersome to move it. So do you think the rug should be angled as the fireplace is or angled as the sofa will be? Also, what's your suggestion for coffee table? Annied75 interesting about your chair & ottoman! Our chair & ottoman is 35 years old & we just had the sofa made to match. They still had the same style & leather! So classic, indeed!

• annied75
    5 years ago
    Hi -- I wouldn't angle the rug with the fireplace.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Would you need a coffee table with the new layout and end tables? The room is fairly narrow. I wouldn't want it to look cluttered.

• salonva
    5 years ago

I love that sideboard tartan posted the light colored one - as well as the art work and pillows with the coral. (Just not sure about the coral with those chairs. )

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

The coral might be too dark/bright with the chairs, salonva? You might be right. Hard to tell when we're looking at screens. I've bought and returned so many pillows in my day. They'd look perfect in the store with my little paint chip and then I'd get them home and they were "off". Those little things sure can take a lot of time and energy. :P The flokati style pillow partim suggested is an excellent one and might be easier to get "right".

• Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any ideas for a coffee table?

• Molly
    5 years ago
    How is the new layout working? My initial thought was to flank the fireplace with the 2 new chairs, put the couch facing the long wall and the recliner facing the French doors.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Any coffee table would depend on the TV console and the available space. Sometimes, with enough end tables, there's no need for a coffee table. Did you have a size and shape in mind? Anything in the house you can try to see how it looks and feels? I'm also curious about the new layout. How is it working out for you?

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Did you end up with a coffee table, @Jan Johnson? Did you "finish" this room? Would love to see!

• Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I did get tables. I'm not finished yet. Getting table for underneath the mirror and looking for artwork still. Also, I'll be changing out all of the pillows. I have a couple cream furry throws already that I haven't placed yet. Any ideas on helping me with pillow fabric would be most appreciated. I will post more pics once I get these final things done.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Hope you're enjoying the changes. I like your white console table. Do you recall where you found it? Do you want to get new pillow covers for your current ones? What size would you need? I'm sure you'd find lovely ones on Etsy.

• salonva
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

oh my that console sideboard whatever looks great ! Is it elyza from wayfair? I considered it, but the mirror front concerned me as I would be putting TV above it. It is gorgeous though- really looks terrific. Is the mirror very reflective ? Are you planning to relocate tv there?

• Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is Elyza from Wayfair. I live in High Point, NC and have access to one of the largest furniture stores in the world and all kinds of furniture retailers, but none could find one like this in the size I needed. The mirror on the front is a little less reflective than a mirror. In the online photos, it looked dark, but it's not dark in person. I was surprised how heavy it was. We drilled a hole in the back and it's holding our media equipment. I'm not moving the TV as of right now, but I'd like to. @tartanmeup, for the pillows, I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. I want them to be kind of glam in light cream colors. The pillows I had were custom, so I can use the down inserts for the new covers. I have 2 that are 20x20; 4 that are 18x18; 1 lumbar; and 1 - 12x12. I'm just stuck on what materials to use to bring in some texture and still look kind of glam. Any ideas? I had gotten a small table for under the mirror,, but it's WAY too small so I moved it to another room and am refinishing the one I had there in the gray stain / whitewash.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Glad you spotted the sideboard, @salonva. I was thinking of you when I asked about it. :) The pillows are for the chairs, Jan? I'm stepping out but I'll have an Etsy browse through when I get back.

• Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, pillows for all of the chairs and the sofa as well. Thank you!

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Well, I obviously don't know how to search properly on Etsy because I'm not finding any cushion covers that would work in your space. They do offer an alphabetic list of fabric options though and the ones that I would consider for texture and a glam touch are: cashmere, faux fur, fur, satin, silk (including dupioni), suede, velour and velvet (incl. crushed). That doesn't mean the whole pillow needs to be in any of these fabrics; if you're going the custom route again, perhaps these could be trim on linen pillows. What I'd want to consider when adding pillows is balancing the colours and textures in the room. If you have a lot of shine already, you don't want all the pillows to be super shiny, etc.

I saw this crushed velvet cover and wondered how that type of fabric would look on your print chairs. Echo a bit of the adjoining leather's shine without being all shine? Super soft fabric that gives a cozy vibe as well.

Here are trimmed pillows that reminded me you can certainly use just a touch of these fabrics for that glam touch.

I've no doubt you can find better options out there!

• Molly
    4 years ago

Check out Aloriam.com, tons of beautiful pillow covers!

• salonva
    4 years ago

Molly - that lnk does not work.

A while ago, someone had shared this etsy pillow shop which has gorgeous stunning pillows, might be a tad too traditional but worth looking through as there are some lovelies.Southernshade lovely on etsy

• Molly
    4 years ago
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

That links works, Molly. Thanks. The first one was setting up a shopify account.

I need to bookmark that shop, salonva. Such gorgeousness!! I always fall in love with one I spot and I've absolutely no need for it! This time, it's this one:

• Molly
    4 years ago

I’m obsessed with it tartan!

• salonva
    4 years ago

I drool while I look.When I first saw that etsy shop I was taken aback by the prices but the pillows really are stunners. Tartan- the inventory does change as I remember my favorites are no longer there.

The site Molly linked seems like a bargain lol. There is one that I think might work for Jan-

in Aloriam- the Ambri Green Blue Cream nice geometric. Actually several on there . Way more reasonable!

• Molly
    4 years ago

Homechef bought several and is very happy with them.

• Jan Johnson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it. I'm gonna have a look when a little quieter here :)