Fast, easy biscuits that don't crumble when cut?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (41)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Summer Sowed some Alyssum... don't have a clue when to plant out
Comments (4)Well, I think you should wait until they get bigger, you're in my zone, and I'd dig them out with a spoon, whatever, and transplant in hunks about Sep 1 although I don't know if they will bloom in time to self seed which they do like crazy if you don't mulch. They just might bloom yet if we don't have too early of a frost, wish I could remember how long it takes, it's not right away but maybe as much as 3 weeks from good growth to blooms, sunny probably bloom much faster, they tolerate some shade and still bloom some, too much shade they are healthy but not blooming for me. I have so many I don't know what to do with them all am letting them self seed and transplanting to make a full border in the front and back because they bloom well, spread, and I like them. Am done transplanting this year but have more going and will continue until I get what I want, then start pulling the excess. Once they start blooming in early summer, they bloom well until frost. They are among the easiest to transplant so long as you water them the first couple of weeks. I'd just be afraid to transplant when they might be too tiny to survive especially now that it's pretty hot. I suppose you could have direct sowed but that is tricky in summer because they have to be kept moist. I started mine in a milk jug winter before last, and now have tons from self sowing. If you want to try that in the future in the summer, I suggest you scoop out a little cavity, fill with potting soil, sow the seeds, and cover with a 2-liter soda bottle with the bottom cut out, then water over the bottle because the seeds need light to germinate I think but probably will anyway. Oh, leave the cap off. Somebody taught me that trick when I sowed some gypsophilia paniculata which doesn't like to be transplanted. When you don't see moisture in the bottle or soil where they are planted looks dry, water over the bottle well. Then take the bottle off once they're germinated and grown a bit and don't let them dry out until they can make it on their own. You could cut the bottom of whatever you sowed them in and plant that, reason being they're less likely to crumble on you. Mine I had to dig up in chunks from the ground and slice in sections with a knife to transplant but used a spoon to scoop them out of a porch box I'd planted them in, worked well a few years back. Then I saved some seeds and winter sowed those, meant to this year but didn't get around to it so feared I may have lost them but got lucky. The main thing is if you want them next year, to get them blooming ASAP so they'll set seed you can either collect or let self sow. The particular variety I happen to have, some white, don't know the name, got from American Meadows a few years back, happens to be an excellent spreader so I wanted to keep those particular ones going and not buy seeds for a different kind. I tried some colored ones, and they don't spread or trail at all, and I think some whites don't either. They will grow under extremely dry conditions in poor, heavy soil once established. Hope this helps. Sorry it's so long....See MoreDon't give up on that cutting!
Comments (31)Hey Sal, here is what happens when you don't give up on cuttings! Here is a picture of the cutting that started half way in the bottle. If you look close, you'll see another sprout popping up. Here are some cuttings on the floor of my greenhouse. more on the floor.. These cuttings are on the shelf on the right.. These cuttings are on the self on the left... I placed the heater inside because last night was our final cold evening for the season...I hope. Outside temperature got down to 38 degrees. I couldn't risk loosing any so I spent a good hour placing them inside. Some of these cuttings sprouted leaves before they rooted. I had to wait till the roots came before potting them. Some leaves dried up but since I repotted them, new leaf buds have started and the trees are growing well. This greenhouse heats up fast once the sun hits it. The tree standing in the corner is Stella. She loves the heat! I noticed my 4 Black Madeira cuttings grew faster in this greenhouse too. I guess it needs a lot of heat too! Today I removed 90 percent of the cuttings and relocated them to my covered deck on a shelf in the shade. It's 106 degrees in the greenhouse now. The cuttings will die if I leave them there. Temperatres over the next 4 days is suppose to be over 80 with 50 and 60s at night. I will leave them on my deck till the end of May. Thanks for watching and don't give up on that cutting! Cheers, Dennis...See MoreWhat happens when you don't have Health Insurance?
Comments (65)Late husband worked for a health insurance company, and that was the last time we had a health insurance benefit. When he left that job, we got catastrophic care insurance, with a huge deductible. We eventually opened HSAs as well. Over the last ten years, each of us has had jobs that offered health insurance plans. We looked at the cost (to the employee) of those company plans, and the benefits, and restrictions imposed. We compared them to the cost of our current plans and benefits, (when you pay yourself, you chose who you want with no restrictions). The HSA balance creeps up over time, allowing more payments, (dental, doctor's office visits, optometrist exams,) on a schedule we controlled, instead of what the company plans would allow. Employers have been hit hard the last few years, too. The workplace plans we were offered had higher premiums than our individual accounts with Unnamed Health Insurance Company, and were not of more value to us. In spite of being a "catastrophic care" policy with a high deductible, It seems to be paying for things, or making partial payments for things, every time i turn around. Tick removed from back at walk-in facility: Paid half the bill. Prophylactic medication in case I was exposed to Lyme disease: I was stunned to have the couple bucks and change it cost. I asked the pharmacist "Isn't there a minimum dispensing fee?" Yes, she said, but the insurance covers it. If I hadn't had that policy, it would have been twenty dollars or so, for two pills. As it was, I paid less than three dollars out of pocket. I'm actually quite happy with the situation I'm in: the fewer people sticking there noses into my health care (policy wonks in DC or that lady in personnel) the better I like it. And it had no bearing on Poor Late Husband's demise: He had lung cancer, quite likely from his thirty eight years of smoking two packs a day. There were unusual circumstances that contributed to his sudden death only five weeks after diagnosis. No amount of chemo, surgery etc., would have saved him. I had a cancer scare myself, actually less than three months after his passing. I asked a nurse what would happen if I had cancer, and my insurance didn't cover treatment. She said she didn't know how that worked, and she said the doctors and nurses take precautions to not know anything about the finances of patients. That way, she said, those with or without insurance are treated the same way while in the hospital. I think it's stupid to go without insurance to have more money for lattes and cell phones, but I defend others' rights to spend the money they earn in a way that they find valuable. As for people who "End up in the emergency room because they couldn't afford a doctor" I've personally known, lived near, worked with some of those people...and they abused the emergency room option so they wouldn't have to pay. I've heard them rationalize taking a child with an earache to the emergency room to avoid a $20 co-pay at the doctor's office, and the hassle of scheduling an appointment. Then in the next breath they griped that they had to wait so long to be seen....See MoreDon't ever use weed cloth. Just don't do it.
Comments (54)I love making soil. I love it even more when someone else is doing most of the work for me. I'm itching to start some spring planting in my tiny garden, but it's technically still a bit early (our last frost date is supposed to be around the 18th or so, but these days who even knows) and I'm impatiently waiting for the contractors to show up and replace my rotted fence before I can do any planting in the back half where the pile of rock mulch over weed cloth used to be. The fence would have rotted anyway, but the bottom of it was completely eaten away where the rock mulch was piled against it. I have already put down a tiny new tree (Amelanchier x "Autumn Brilliance") which arrived bare root and needed to go in the ground ASAP, but it's not next to the fence, so it should be fine as long as the fence guys don't step on the 18 inch high forked stick which, seen with my eye of faith, is already a handsome small patio tree. The tree went in the spot where the old, scrawny, unhealthy cherry plum used to be, where I have been piling vermicompost and leaves ever since last summer. I didn't amend the planting hole at all - just dug and filled in. Enough leaf mold and vermicompost just fell into the hole to make me feel fine about the start my new tree's roots are getting. Anyway, the "someone else" who is working for me outside is a healthy passel of earthworms, which I can see out there every time I pull back last autumn's leaf mulch, which I diligently collected from the sidewalk in front of my row house and brought out back. Even if I can't set to work yet, I like knowing that they're hard at it. I've seen some of my red wigglers who rode out from my indoor worm bin, and at least three separate species of native earthworms: slow gray short guys, some really huge red nightcrawler types, and a longer, thinner, super-active wiggly worm that's new to me. I've also scattered out some seeds and grains for the sparrows and squirrels, inspired by some videos of composting chickens I've watched on Youtube: so there's been lots of pecking and scratching and digging going on in the layer of leaves, which is both fun to watch and will serve to further shred down the leaves for incorporation in the soil. When I do get to the planting along the back fence, I'll try to remember to post a soil pic as a "before and after" to the one at the start of this topic....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

BUDGET DECORATINGEasy, Beautiful, Cheap: Managing the 3 Points of Home Projects
When you're decorating or building, it helps to be realistic about what's possible. Here are some equations to ponder
Full Story
GARDENING 101When Should You Prune Your Trees and Shrubs?
Pruning keeps plants healthy. Find out the best time to cut back roses, flowering trees, needle-bearing shrubs and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNDesign an Easy-Clean Kitchen
"You cook and I'll clean" might no longer be a fair trade with these ideas for low-maintenance kitchen countertops, cabinets and floors
Full Story
THE ART OF ARCHITECTURELaser-Cut Focus: The Future of Design Is Here
Discover how this laser technology can make almost any pattern a reality
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNExuberant Self-Seeders for Gorgeous, Easy-Care Gardens
Keep weeds down, color high and maintenance low with beautful plants that sow themselves
Full Story
MOST POPULAREasy Green: 23 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home
Pick from this plethora of earth-friendly ideas to send less to the landfill and keep more money in your pocket
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGThe Quick and Easy Way to Clean a Microwave
All you need is water and a couple of other natural ingredients to get your appliance sparkling and smelling fresh again
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSKitchen Counters: High-Tech Solid Surfaces Make Maintenance Easy
Sculpted by heat and nonporous by nature, solid-surface countertops bring imagination and low maintenance to the kitchen
Full Story
CONTAINER GARDENS8 Easy Container Plants to Grow From Seed
Get beautiful blooms and herbs in summer by starting these choice garden picks from seed in spring
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES7 Ecofriendly Gardening Ideas That Also Cut Chore Time
Spend less time weeding, less money watering and more moments just sitting back and enjoying your healthy garden
Full StorySponsored
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH
Lars