SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

Fast growing tall perennials that don't attract bees, JB etc

glaswegian
15 years ago

Hello there,

I wonder if you can recommend a list of fast growing tall perennials for my zone 5b that don't attract bugs like the japanese beetle, bees etc please

Last summer we had problems with these bugs and were unable to enjoy the pergola I built in the back. This year, I want to avoid that....

Thanks

Comments (38)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

Hi glaswegian!

There are a few things we need to know before we can help. Such as: Is the area in which you plan to grow the tall plant in sun or shade? Is the soil dry, moist, or somewhere in-between? What color you would like this plant to be? Any particular month you would like this plant to bloom in?
    Once we know you will have tons of great suggestions! The people here are very good at helping a person with plant shopping!
    CMK

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Area = full sun

Soil = between dry and moist

Plants = various colours

Month of bloom = starting from spring onwards

• Related Discussions

Does anyone grow 'Jolly Bee' Hardy Geranium with their roses???

Q

Comments (15)
    Yes! Highly recommend it. I got some on clearance at Lowe's last summer-early fall ($1 for a very nice-sized pot; quart maybe? I'm bad at sizes) mostly to fill in what I had of Rozanne. In the short time they were in the ground during the growing season, they went gangbusters. I can't say enough good about this plant. Long bloom, good recovery (from floppy-sad to fabulous in very little time), vigorous and I think there's a little more pink in the eye, too, but I could be mistaken. I won't buy another Rozanne unless it's a sub for Jolly Bee. That said, JB does seem harder to find. I hope they all made it through the winter.
    ...See More

Will Rosemary attract bees?

Q

Comments (9)
    Honey bees or bumble bees showed no interest in rosemary in my garden with four honeybee hives 100 feet away. One of the all time great fragrances though, Rosemary. Daylilies attracted an occasional bumble bee who quickly gave up (the pistil is too far from the stamen). Roses attract fewer bees than you would expect, though Japanese beetles love them. Sunflowers attract a lot of bees, and birds later. Cosmos attracts a lot of bumble bees. All cucumber related plants attract bees (and gourds, pumpkins, etc). Big flowers, easy to get to the pollen.
    ...See More

Attracting bees to your gardens...

Q

Comments (32)
    Todancewith wolves, I like that Mason bee house too. I wonder if I drilled holes into some of the dead snags (dead trees and branches) or a log if they would use that. Kiddo, I like your clover lawn. Looks like lots of potential there for some gardens or maybe a mini-meadow along with the clover. Every few years, I cast some clover seed over the grass, although there is not that much grass on my lot (coincidentally also 1.25 acres). Clover is a good companion to grass because it is a legume and fixes nitrogen which nourishes the grasses. Common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) is very attractive to pollinators, has showy pink flowers that smell heavenly, and is an excellent Monarch host plant, however it's kind of a coarse plant and not well-behaved in the garden. It sends out fairly long runners every which way. I have some growing in the wild area in the back-backyard, where it can spread hither and yon if it wants. The Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) is clumping and well-behaved. I think the foliage is much more attractive. In my garden it reseeds readily. I saved seeds from the light pink in the picture above, and also have seeds that are white and a few seeds that were from a dark pink. I winter-sowed the dark pink last year, and it hasn't bloomed yet, but can't wait to see the color. Send me an email, I'd be happy to share some of these. Another bee attractor - Echinacea -
    ...See More

How fast will SRBs grow?...sort of lengthy...

Q

Comments (5)
    HD, the pest that's doing the most damage is the cabbage looper. I have to wait a little longer to buy some Bt, and I don't have anything that's working on them, so I'm just trying to pick them off, but it's hard because they're not that large and they're the same color as my tomato plant. I could never find what was damaging the sunflower leaves...maybe slugs, but that wouldn't have been my first thought because the slugs around here are so tiny(I come from SLUG country, the PNW)and I never saw any slime. I saw my first JB of the season yesterday...they are attracted to my basil, so much so that it kept them away from my beans last year. I popped in a few SRBs near the base of the sunflowers and we'll see what happens. I've found that the SRBs are best eaten quite small, as they get stringy(and hairy)quickly, so I usually use them as ornamentals.
    ...See More
  • katefisher
    15 years ago

What kind of bees are we talking about? I know some people think of all bees as a nuisance and fear them but if it is bumble bees they are really quite docile and harmless. In fact when I am trimming roses and working in my veggie garden the bumbles are definitely present but not the slighest bit interested in me.

As mentioned above it will depend on what you plant. On the back of our fence we have grown California poppies in the past and it is bee madness back there. I just let them alone and it works out great for everyone. I wait until the end of summer when its cold to cut the poppies down with the weed eater for next year and the bees have moved on for the season.

Hope this helps.

Kate

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Flowering plants and bees go together - it is hard to have one without the other :-) Moreover, bees are pretty necessary as they are one of the primary means of pollination. As Kate has stated, I wouldn't overly worry about bees being present. Those that are attracted to flowering plants are not aggressive and if you don't bother them, they'll not bother you. Some plants are particularly attractive to them when in bloom and you might want to avoid those just to limit their numbers. Or if you or members of your family are allergic to bee stings, avoiding any flowering plants in this area is recommended, just to be on the safe side. Wasps and hornets are another matter - these tend to be very aggressive but they are attracted to food sources and scents rather than flowering plants - if you eat in the pergola or wear perfumes or have a compost pile nearby, you will attract them but you can hang traps to keep them at bay.

As to Japanese beetles, they are pretty much a fact of life in many parts of this country. While they can devastate some plants, they are not of any concern to humans - you could easily coexist if you can tolerate the plant damage. Some of the perennials they tend to avoid are threadleaf coreopsis, rudbeckia, liatris, chelone, iris, peonies, hosta, heucheras, yarrow, shasta daisies and asters. A vine climbing on the pergola would be a nice addition - try clematis, wisteria or honeysuckle.

You can also limit the J. beetle activity in your garden by hanging pheromone traps for the adults or treating with milky spore for the larvae. Both are considered natural (non-chemical pesticide) controls.

Here is a link that might be useful: managing Japanese beetles

• coolplantsguy
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how you're defining "tall", but here's a few that are usually greater than four feet:

Eupatorium
    Heliopsis
    Miscanthus
    Rudbeckia
    Thalictrum

For most of the above, some varieties are taller than others, so keep an eye on that.

The Thalictrum might not appreciate the full sun location. The others would make a nice combination however.

Finally, I don't think there's too many perennials, if any at all, that are "tall" and flowering in the spring (April-May). The earliest (greater than 4') might be some of the Lilies flowering in June.

As mentioned by someone else, most of these will still be visited by the bees, but I don't think the JB will be a problem for these.

Cheers.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't ask for a lecture on bees and jbs, I just wanted fast growing giant perennial suggestions period.

We have an 8months old baby, and it was uncomfortable last summer sitting in the back there. If anyone hasn't got a suggestion for what am asking, please refrain from answering!

I am in Canada, not the US, if that makes any difference? By tall I mean something that can be used as a "screen"

Cheers

• coolplantsguy
    15 years ago

Well then!

To be on the safe side re the bugs, and to create a screen, I would go with a planting of one of taller grasses such as Miscanthus 'Giganteus'.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

glaswegian your response came across as rude, I hope it wasn't meant to be. Everyone is just trying to be helpful.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Well, excuuusssee me!! My, that was a lovely and gracious response....NOT! Forget the flowering plants entirely and go with a conifer or ornamental grass (nice suggestion btw, cpg).

FWIW, you don't get to choose who responds to your questions or with what information - that's the nature of a public forum. Obviously, it was thought the additional information would be of value to you. If not, feel free to ignore but you don't need to be rude about it.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wasn't being rude, and am sorry if it came across as that! I just thought people could have concentrated on the info I gave and what I asked for, rather than the lecture about bees.

These plants by the way, are for the front lawn side of the house and along the fence in the backyard, something to look at when we sit out.

By tall, i Meant 4-6ft in height

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I'll leave the plant suggestions to others but what I have done is made a couple of pseudo wasp nests out of a stuffed T Shirt bag (taped into the shape of a wasp's nest) spray painted grey and hung in our sitting areas. This has helped keep the yellow jackets away. Yellow jackets seem to be the only ones around here that give us a problem. A

• susanzone5 (NY)
    15 years ago

Your rudeness is possibly the worst I've seen on this forum.
    Maybe you should just do a search for your answer so you don't have to interact with people.

• nancyd
    15 years ago

No one is lecturing you on bees, but trying to get the message across that if you plant a flowering plant, you get a bee. They're pollinators and that's their job. If I understand you correctly, these plants are going to be used some distance away. So I'm baffled why you're having problems under your pergola. Perhaps there is something nearby that is attracting them to you. Wasps can be more of an annoyance and they can have nests where you don't even see them. Bees don't bother me on the patio at all. They're attracted to the plants nearby and that's it. You should check out the area to see what's going on.

If your husband (or wife), you or your baby are using scented hairspray, perfumes, lotions, etc., that can attract insects. Also, certain colors of clothing can attract them. You can't avoid bees or other insects with flowering plants, vines or shrubs, and those are the most interesting plants. No matter how fast growing the plant, it will take time to reach 4 - 6 feet in height. You won't find anything like that in the spring. I'm in Rochester, just south of you and it takes perennials at least until mid-late July to get that tall. For no bee activity, you'd have to plant evergreen shrubs or use screens and those are pretty boring.

Do you like birds? Put up a few bird feeders, bird houses and baths/fountains. I like the hummingbirds that visit and your baby would really enjoy that. You can easily put up a hummingbird feeder. You'll have something fun to look at without worrying about insects in your face. I enjoy bird watching all year round and the babies that come in summer. Happy gardening.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Will throw this out for what it's worth since others have hinted - if you want a perennial screen that is nice to look out at while sitting out and not be bothered by bugs, think in terms of conifers. For your zone, there are enough varieties, textures, colors, shapes, and sizes to please virtually anyone and compliment any yard. Well thought out conifer arrangements can be every bit a piece of eye candy as a bed of blooming perennials.

• terrene
    15 years ago

Gardengal's and other's posts seem completely innocuous to me. I agree that the most interesting and beautiful plants have flowers and pollinators go with the territory. I just love all the butterflies, bees, etc. and grow flowers purposely to attract them.

In my experience, bees and wasps are not at all aggressive while they are pollinators flowers - they are aggressive if you get near their nests. The only time I was badly stung, was stumbling across a Yellow Jacket nest while working out back in a brushy area. Ouch! It's a good idea to keep an eye out for where those buggers are nesting, and avoid the area or deal with the nest.

The flowers that seem to attract the least pollinators include most bulbs, Irises, Peonies, Daylilies, Lilies and Hostas. Pretty much what's been mentioned here. Maybe some nice Lilacs? A dwarf variety would not grow too large. The only thing I've ever seen pollinating a Lilac is Swallowtail butterflies, and those are gorgeous. JB's are not a problem here .

• lexer
    15 years ago

I'm in zone 8 so most of what I'm used to is very different but I have had a bed that I look out on and really enjoyed having red-twigged dogwood there (hedgerow's gold). It's variegated so has interesting foliage and the twigs are pretty in the winter. I'm also crazy for Acanthus mollis but I don't think it can grow in your zone.
    Wish I could be more helpful, it's an interesting puzzle.
    Lex

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Although I haven't paid attention to those plants that DON'T have bees on them, here's some suggestions as to what NOT to plant:
    AVOID a garden mum. Although they tend to be the one thing that is LEFT near the end of the season, they are always covered in bee activity- especially on those warmer end-summer days when you want to be outside.
    Monarda/Bee Balm- lots of activity there, too.
    Centaurea Montana- Mountain Bluet: Attracts hornets.
    Gaillardia also is an insect/bee magnet.

In my experience as a relatively new gardener, the poofier/fluffier and more colorful the flower, the more insects love it. Zinnias, marigolds, calendula, that sorta thing.

Daylilies might be the "perfect perennial" for you, since they are available in so many colors, heights & bloom times that you can literally have color from late spring to near frost. Someone already mentioned their lack of pollinators; I typically only find a stray ant in there. They aren't especially fast-growing, though, so if you can find a daylily farm nearby to get you started, that might be your best bet for some instant offerings. Or you can find inexpensive ones on eBay. That's what I did when I first got started; found several 'Lots' from sellers which gave me a good start to fill my spaces.

Mixed in with the evergreens, you might find a nice combination with the DLs. Personally, I find evergreens to be incredibly boring LOL.

Will you be planting 'under' your pergola? If there's a little shade under there, or even still some sun, Coleus might be a nice filler for under there to give some color. It's obviously an annual, but no insects to worry about. There are some varieties that will tolerate sun these days. Check out Rosy Dawn Gardens (dot com) for their offerings, as they carry a lot more than you'll find in your local garden center.

Another thing you might consider is to email the 'powers that be' over at someplace like Bluestone Perennials, who might know exactly what to suggest for you.

And for the record, please don't knock those who would offer you additional information. There are many folks who simply love to teach and inform, and you will find several on every board here. Had you stated in your original post that you realize there will likely be some bee activity but you are trying to limit it because you simply aren't looking to create a Bee Haven in your yard, it would have been better than snapping that those who provided the information as a courtesy to you.

• Charmaine Carvalho
    8 years ago

glaswegian - I do get where you're coming from as I'm more thab a little "afraid of bees, wasps, and flying thingees" in general. And, although in my case, it's not about a baby, my paranoia (read illogical fear) turns me into a bigger baby than most. So, yeah, when someone is scared, it's pointless for those who are not to explain that they are harmless as fear is senseless. However, perhaps, your words of "a lecture on bees" had a bit of a biting sting to it, in itself :) Funny thing is, I came upon this forum in my search for fragrant flowers that do not attract bees! and, yes, I live in montreal, quebec, so I share your zone in ways. Though, as a montrealer, i swear there is no place colder in the world than Quebec.

you did get some good suggestions on planting options. at this point, your baby is a toddler (!) and either running away from insects (learned behavior), or loves them (a brilliant thing, in my opinion). I adore gardening and the outdoors and my paranoia is a royal pain. yet, i've figured out how to enjoy my hammock, eat outdoors without a netted hat (!), and not run in circles in front of guests - too often !!!! Here is what i found in my search; tall or otherwise, please do your own further research with these varieties, should you wish it. lots of love in the garden - in the outdoors - in the shade and in the sun - with the birds, bees, the flowers and the trees !

Flowers that are RED (bees can't see red and buzz past)

Flowers that have dense petals as opposed to wide flat surfaces

Flowers that have long tubular shapes. (bees have short tongues and couldn't be bothered - or so they say !)

Flowers that are natural insecticides. (bees can't tolerate the aromatic oils)

Flowering Tobacco (evening fragrance), Fuchsia (hanging baskets), Geranium (musky fragrance - butterfly love), Roses (red with dense petals), Feverfew (natural insectiside, plant everywhere), Hyssop (tubular petals - hummingbird love)

Chrysanthemums and Carnations

Marigolds

Foxglove and Datura (check into the toxicity of these with pets and little humans!)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Perhaps if you want plants that are tall in spring you should look into mixing in some flowering shrubs.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'll risk my 2 cents worth. I notice that plants that attract butterflies also attract bees and they always have pollen and are all in the obvious categories -- for example the asteraceae family.

On the other hand, plants that attract hummingbirds & hawk moths (hummingbird moths) have nectar and don't seem to attract bees. It would be lovely to have a pergola with plants that attract hummingbirds as an added attraction.

The list is long & I'm not going to take the time to list all the plants that attract hummingbirds in that zone, its easy enough to find online, they have tubular shaped flowers-- too deep and narrow for a bee's butt to get into.

I didn't read through all those long posts so if I am repeating info, I'M SORRY.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Although I am a bit reluctant about responding to this thread again, there's some confusing info that's being presented that may give those who are fearful/allergic to bees some misleading advice. Bees are attracted to flowers by scent, by their pollen content, by the amount of nectar they contain, by their shape and to a far less degree, their color.

As to bees ignoring red flowers, that is not necessarily true. Bees do not see the color red (or rather they see it as black) but they can still be attracted to red colored flowers provided other necessary factors (those listed above) are present. Bees visit my monarda Jacob Cline, red salvias and crocosmia for the very same reason hummingbirds do - they are excellent nectar sources. Same with my Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame' and Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' - while not necessarily red-red, they seem to attract as many bees as they do hummers, so I'm not sure just eliminating red colored flowers or those attractive to hummingbirds is going to solve the bee problem.

• User
    8 years ago

I will amend my comment too. Hummingbird favorites with flowers such as those on Flame Acanthus or Hesperaloe are very narrow, too narrow for a honeybee to pollinate, they can't get to the stuff.

However, they will and often do attract wasps. Outdoor is outdoors. There are mosquitos, ants, bees, hornets, centipedes, snakes, stinkbugs, gnats etc. There is no 100% solution.

Some flowers I grow for bees attract flies and its sort of disconcerting to see flies pollinating. Seems you just can't win a contest with Ma Nature.

I wonder nowadays how we less protected kids ever survived childhood. We used to play with bugs, got bee stings on clover growing in untreated yards but somehow we made it into adulthood.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

I agree ;-) Bugs are part of life - tough to have any sort of a garden and not attract some insect activity. Even conifers, although they do not produce plant parts necessarily attractive to bees or J. beetles, have their own share of insect visitors including spiders, bag worms (ick!!) aphids/adelgids and scale. It's nature, folks - deal with it or stay indoors!!

• stonethegardener
    8 years ago

I was extremely disappointed by the Rudbeckia Submentosa this year... Almost zero pollinator activity! :(

The rudbeckia nitida herbstonne was far more satisfying... Absolute magnet for activity!

http://gardens-in-the-sand.blogspot.com/2015/07/triple-digit-heat.html

Personally... I want the bees and wasps...

If you want a dead zone... Maybe check those new cross generic hybrids they're touting... Useless! No seeds for the birds... No way to reproduce... Yuck!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I've just realised we are adding to a 6 year old thread. The baby will be in school by now and perhaps has grown used to, or even interested in, insects.

• User
    8 years ago

I hadn't noticed how old the thread is either, I was too busy getting blinded by the caustic remark. No wonder the OP is MIA. Still its an interesting subject about pollinators. Many people want to attract them & considering the ecological benefits and loss of native habitat any efforts in this direction is a small way of creating island habitat area to help preserve native plant species and beneficial insects.

The city where I live is depressingly full of dead zones. Deserts of bermuda or fescue lawns, ground cover plants, non flowering clipped hedges and shrubs, hybrid plants and too many trees creating too much shade where nothing much grows underneath. Once upon a time it was vast prairie teaming with wildlife and hardly a tree in sight.

• Judith Schiano Jevnik
    5 years ago

Hello, I live in New York and I have a pergola attached to my home. I also want to plant some type of ivy to grow up and make a “roof” on top of my pergola. I also don’t want anything that flowers because we don’t want the bees buzzing around us when we eat there. The ivy seems to grow very slowly. Can anyone recommend a green type of plant that will adhere to my pergola but grow fast? Remember, it needs to be cold hardy... it gets cold here in the winter. The pergola gets sun. Thanks

• princeton701
    5 years ago

Judith, on my pergola I went with a wisteria. In the spring, huge purple pendants of flowers hang down through the "ceiling" which is lovely. Oddly enough, I've never really noticed any bees there (although they are plentiful in other areas of my garden). Since you ask for fast-growing, wisteria is one of the fastest-growing (think like a weed) I've done. (I have also grown honeysuckle, but that is not fast-growing & it attracts bees like crazy.) While you did ask for non-flowering, the flowers do not last very long, so for that week you will have flowers, but for the rest of the season, you will have green shade, which may be worth the tradeoff for the fast growth.

• Faith
    5 years ago

What about something like Virginia Creeper? Fast growing, minimal flowers, great red color in the autumn.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Judith,

What do you mean adhere? It sounds like you mean a vine, that part I get, but there are different types of ways they hold on. There are clinging (ivy and Virginia creeper), tendrils, and scrambling. Do you want only clinging vine suggestions?

• WoodsTea 6a MO
    5 years ago

Dutchman's Pipe comes to mind. There are several species, but Aristolochia macrophylla (a.k.a. Isotrema macrophyllum) might be the one for NY.

It flowers, but the flowers are fairly inconspicuous and are not bee-pollinated. It can grow quite large and is often used to cover structures like pergolas, etc. If you're lucky (from my point of view), pipevine swallowtail butterflies will use it as a host plant:

https://the-natural-web.org/2012/06/29/pipevine-swallowtail-butterflies-and-their-host-dutchmans-pipevine/

• User
    5 years ago

9 yr old thread.....

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

even if it is old, there was a new question on it and/or people still want to know the answers, which is how it got resurrected :)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Since wisteria has been recommended, you need to know that the support structure/arbor/pergola needs to be really stout - 4"x4" supports won't suffice. They also tend to seed around, send out underground shoots, and tend to need a fairly large amount of pruning, so if you plant one be aware that it may be a good amount of work. Grown within reach of a building they may lift shingles.

Check out Boston ivy/Parthenocissus tricuspidata or Virginia creeper, both of which may also need a fair amount of trimming, but IME don't tend to seed around as aggressively as wisteria. Either will need a flat surface (such as the side of a 6'x6") to climb so if your pergola is metal, it may have difficulty gripping.

WoodsTea's suggestion of Aristolochia is also a good suggestion. It grows by twining and so would do better on a narrow support.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Grapes are a possibility as well. Very little flowering and relatively early. Then you have the benefit of an edible (or drinkable) pergola cover :-) Fast growing, easily trained/pruned and often with stunning fall color. A bit of a Mediterranean approach - grape covered arbors and pergolas are common in Italy and in wine producing areas.

If you can't be bothered with the fruit, there are some gorgeous ornamental grapes you could plant instead.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

Grapes attract a LOT of bees and insects, especially around ripe time.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    5 years ago

What about actinidia kolomikta? Such pretty foliage - I wish I had a place to grow it. I know that it is dioecious, and have also read that it is insect-pollinated, so maybe fewer bees? (and get a male plant so, even if a neighbor DOES have a female, you won't get fruit, which could be messy.)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting