SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Dear family cooks...write it down

Annie Deighnaugh
5 years ago

Talking to DH's cousin the other day and they were saying how Grammy always made creamed kohlrabi which they loved. No one has any idea how she did it or what was in it. Talking to friends the other day about potato salad, and my Mom's favorite that she always made for the family picnics. I've got no recipe...only a dim memory of the ingredients, or at least some of them.

I think what happens is our most favorite foods are made most frequently so the cooks know them by heart, no one writes them down or the books and bookmarks have been lost, and then they are lost to the family when the cook passes or becomes incapacitated.

I think it's especially true for the simpler recipes. The more complex ones are more likely to be taught and written down by the next generation. I have recipes for pierogis and golumpki and krustchiki. But it's those simpler, frequently made and taken for granted dishes that are apt to be lost.

When DH's mom passed, I went through her boxes and boxes of recipes...poor lady was either in love with or never happy with her pot roast, as I came across 40 different recipes cut from magazines or newspapers for pot roast. But I have no idea which if any she ever settled on, and none of them seemed to match the pot roast I remember her making which had lots and lots of bay leaf.

So maybe at the next family gathering, talk about your favorite frequent dishes and get people to write them down..even if they're simple ones, so they're not lost.

Comments (43)