SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesli8_gw

So...dear husband is building me a greenhouse from scratch...

lesli8
11 years ago

My wonderfully talented dh is a collector or sorts. He always accepts "stuff" whether he has something already planned for it or not. Quite some time ago, he worked for our local public school and they went through a HUGE renovation. He was at the right place at the right time to collect a lot of "good stuff". They took out all the large alum. windows and replaced them with newer higher tech/effic. windows. DH collected 30+ large alum. windows. They took down the heavy duty galvanized chainlink fencing. He got to collect that also. They tore down many buildings with r-panel siding, he collected the old stuff before they crunched it up, and when they told him they wanted to clean out the bus barn, he did. He was to discard some 3ft pieces of new white r-panel sheet metal that they cut off from the roofing of the bus barn. So he thought he'd build me a greenhouse with all the good stuff. Going by the materials we had and trying to be reasonable also, he is building me a 21'x14'1" greenhouse. Why that weird size? because mostly of the window measurements, that is how it came out... So he is using the galvanized pipe (he is a welder by trade) and bolting it together for future portability for the frame, coupled with these I don't' know what they are 3ft pieces that he said are like metal 2x6's that he welded together to make 21' and 14' long pieces for supporting windows. He is using the 3'white r panel for skirting under the windows and we are buying the clear Suntuf polycarbonate panels for the roof. I have a gazillion solid antique bricks (from the old auditorium) for the floor/pathways. A local garden guru radio talk guy's nursery people suggested we use tar paper instead of weed fabric for the floor and some sort of gravel or mulch to cover. All the windows open and have solar screens they go all the way around thee greenhouse. So I think I have ventilation covered...?

Can you experts look at my descriptions and advise on trouble spots or make any suggestions that would prevent future problems? I am a gardener from way back but new to greenhouse gardening. I have hopes of using it for any silly thing I might think up. I love flowers, starting cuttings of roses, starting seeds. I am a heavy duty veggie gardener, and have a small farmette with my own milk cows/chickens (goats and pigs are gone) I am also considering vermaculture and rabbits to of course go hand in hand and add to my organic gardening/greenhouse.
PS he also "collected" a several hundred foot "board walk -decking" from the portable classrooms that the school used temporarily while the school was being rebuilt. It is all pressure treated, mostly short-ish pieces, but plans to build my greenhouse shelving and benches from these...Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
Lesli

Comments (55)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County