SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarabelle24

Building a Greenhouse and Need Input!

tarabelle24
11 years ago

Hello - I will be building my first greenhouse. Okay - I won't be building it, but my husband and brother will be... I have been trying to find somebody in our area with experience, and have not had any success.

So, here is my question... or list of questions...

We live in the high desert. HOT summers, and cold winters. We can get up to 115 in the summer, and -15 in the winter. I want to be able to use my greenhouse year-round. I do have a garden area, which I will use as well. The best location (as far as accessibility and availability) for my greenhouse is unfortunately in a shady area of my yard. About half of the greenhouse would be in the shade about 80% of the time, and the other half would get some morning sun, and basically full afternoon sun. Is this a horrible location? Will plants located in the shaded area grow at all?

This location is great because it is protected from high winds (a must), and it will be connected to my house, allowing the use of heating and cooling from my house, when needed. (Is this a bad or good idea??)

Does anybody have experience with a connected greenhouse? What am I getting myself into? Tips? Suggestions? Warnings??

Comments (7)