SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertmarcy

Need window advice for spa/greenhouse building

desertmarcy
14 years ago

I am planning a house addition which will be used as combination exercise pool/spa room and sub-tropical/tropical greenhouse. I have questions about windows for it. Since I live in hot, sunny Tucson, Arizona, keeping it from getting too hot in summer is important, but I plan to use the pool year round and so I would like the heat/sun to come in during the winter. I was planning triple pane windows because I wanted the increased sound proofing, but from another thread, I have read that might not be the best option. Still confused about that. But the other question is, the building asks do I want low-e in the windows? I understand where the low-e coating is applied (outside or inside the pane of glass) depends on whether you want to keep heat in or out and that there is also variation in the % light transmission. For growing plants, is there a detriment in keeping some of the UV light out? And is there any option out there that allows for both: more heat/light getting inside during winter and keep it out in summer, or is it only one way or the other? Thank you for your expertise!

Comments (3)