SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntevie_in_utah

Building a Greenhouse Shed

auntevie_in_utah
14 years ago

Ok, folks - I'm planning on building a greenhouse lean-to attached to the side of our shed, and after looking through the FAQ stuff, I thought it may be good to get feedback before I actually start the build.

The GH will be about 10 feet long, and 4-5 feet wide, on a concrete pad. The roof will be slightly slanted for winter snow removal. I'll be building it with 2x4 anchored to pressure treated lumber (which will be anchored to the concrete)and two layers of the wavy plastic stuff (dead air between for insulation). I have a 4' x 4' plastic window for the long side, that will have bubble wrap in the winter for insulation, and will be removeable with a screen in its place for the summer. It's south facing, but the tree from next door shades it some in the summer, and there is full sun in the winter. I'll be putting wire-type shelving in along the window wall for seedling starting (Since starting seedlings in the no-sunlight-in-any-space-at-all house is a no-go.) For ventilation, I can add hinges to the slanted tops of the short sides and screening - but will that do it? Do I need to have the ventilation come in lower on the structure? It seems to me that the higher up, the more heat loss... In the winter, water outside is turned off, so that will still have to be done by hand, maybe with a sprayer system that I haven't thought out yet... but we really want to have a place to start our garden before the snow melts here in Utah and we can play in the actual dirt. Any input and ideas will be muchly appreciated.

Comments (3)