SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

End Panels - How Are They Finished

Helen
5 years ago

Could someone instruct me regarding how "end panels" are supposed to be finished. By end panels I mean the portions of side cabinets which can be seen sticking out in front of the rest of the upper cabinets because they are deeper than the upper cabinets (i.e. the depth of the lower cabinets and counter).

I have this situation in a few places:

The panel for my cabinet depth refrigerator

The tall cabinet which houses the wall ovens

Another tall cabinet that houses the appliance garage - this is complicated because the lower portion will have tambour doors to access the appliances

A tall linen cabinet at the end of the run of the bathroom counter in my masters

In another thread, a poster wrote this

"Designer issue. Cover panels aka Decorative Applied Door Ends are required in frameless. Not just finished box ends. Yes, that’s more expensive. It’s the cost of doing frameless properly. That is improperly designed. Someone doesn’t understand frameless design. There may be other functional issues as well. The thickness of the 3/4” cover panels had to the factored into the design. It isn’t really retrofittable. And skins won’t work."

My cabinets are frameless. The end portions will be plain and won't be decorative like the doors I am using. Am I supposed to have decorative ends everywhere as the poster says they are required? I asked my designer and she said that it would look very busy to not just have plain finished ends in those sections since there is a lot of design going on :-). Am I missing something in terms of what a cover panel is?

Comments (7)