SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2manydiversions

Pellet Tube Smoker in Gas Grill Review for ann_t, or anyone else

2ManyDiversions
6 years ago

Ann T, you asked me to share my opinion on the pellet tube smoker once I used it, and thought I’d share it with everyone here.

Preface #1: I’m a novice at grilling, but after posting athread requesting grilling help I received so much wonderful advice, recipes, and tips – thank you everyone! My grilling experiences and repertoire have improved by leaps and bounds! Also, Steve J recommended a leave-in thermometer which has been so useful!

Preface #2: I don’t have a smoker so I’m unable to compare this to a smoker.

Preface #3: As some of you know we are undergoing demo/reno in our kitchen and home and the past 2 weeks have been rather taxing, and I’m cooking in a temp kitchen, so I’ve made some dumb mistakes, taken some bad photos… please forgive!

In a link ann_t posted on a new toaster oven dcarch mentioned the A-MAZE-N-TUBE smoker which piqued my interest (thank you so much dcarch!), so after some research I bought the Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12" on Amazon, choosing it over the A-Maze-N tube because it’s hexagon shaped rather than round, and I could see myself accidentally hitting the round tube and it rolling off the grill onto my feet leaving me with an unpleasant burn (because I am that accident prone!)

After more research, I bought Lumber Jack 100-Percent Hickory Wood BBQ Grilling Pellets.

What I’ve read but can’t attest to:

1) Tubes put off more smoke than trays and some consider to be better in gas grills as they don’t hold smoke as well as smokers. There are several sizes, some are expandable as well. A 12” would be minimum for me.

2) You can cold smoke cheese and salmon in a gas grill with the pellet tubes – with success.

3) People often cold smoke steaks, chops, and fish to enhance flavor prior to grilling – follow safe smoking guidelines.

1. I’ve read: Pecan flavored is good for pizzas, apple for chicken, hickory for all around, mesquite for beef and pork. Your flavor preferences may differ. I chose hickory for my first attempt and purchase.

In short: I used indirect heat, using the pellet tube with 100% hickory pellets in our gas grill on a 5# chicken and it was tender, juicy, and had a lovely hickory smoke flavor – yes, I recommend a pellet tube for good smoke flavor in gas grills!

At length: I’d read that some pellets at the big box stores have a mix of wood which may not provide good flavor, some pellets have been reported as having ‘undesirables’ in them, and some arrive or come with pellets that are badly crumbled, so I tried to choose my pellets carefully.

Filling the tube was my least favorite part but I’ll figure that out later. I filled ours almost full. I lit the top of the tube and pellets with the tube upright, using a simple propane torch wide open, holding it on the pellets for a minute or longer until the pellets had a good strong flame. I intended to leave the flame going for 10 minutes but it went out after 7 and had some good smoke on the end, so I lifted the tube with tongs and gently laid it on its side, losing only a couple pellets. It smoked profusely the entire time smelling of wonderful hickory! I then started the grill heating on high, using only the 2 outside burners (we’ve a 3 burner).

The chicken was a 5# and I trussed the legs, rubbed with salt and lemon pepper, bagged, and refrigerated for 2 hours. Prior to grilling I put a bit of cold butter, 3 garlic cloves, and an herb bundle of rosemary, oregano, and lemon thyme (my sage died back after a freeze) inside the cavity, along with an herb bundle on top. After I placed the hen on the grill I gave it a quick brushing of olive oil and a bit of melted butter. I used a grill rack roaster to hold the chicken – not sure that was needed, but it made lifting the hot chicken easier. I grilled at 388 F for the most part. Next time I won’t bother with anything other than butter and seasoning in the cavity, salt, lemon pepper, and the quick one-time butter/EVO baste on the outside because I’d rather taste only the smoky flavor : )

Photos for uploading · More Info

First Dumb Mistake: I thought the chicken was breast side up (I was tired!) and put the temp probe in the chicken back… duh. You can see I also have a probe in the grill – strongly recommended as our Weber is 90 degrees hotter than the lid gauge reads.

Closed the lid, left it closed except to attempt to take photos of smoke, but the wind was high and would blow it away before I could get a good shot, and when it died down briefly, I was too tired to get up, so I took this photo while sitting on our back porch to show how much smoke the tube produced:

The grill is just behind the chair : ) The smoke was profuse the entire cooking time and smelled of pure hickory wood – intoxicating! I was concerned our neighbors might show up with empty plates. For cold smoking, I’d put a covering over the open areas of the grill to prevent so much smoke escaping. I would suggest to anyone using a pellet tube: When opening your grill stand back or you most likely will get hit with a face-full of smoke, eyes tearing up, coughing! I did, every darned time!

Second Dumb Mistake: I didn’t notice the tube was on the wrong side of the wind until the last 45 minutes, at which point I moved it to the other side of the chicken for better smoking. When the probe alarm went off at 165 F, I removed the chicken – it had a wonderful scent of hickory smoke, let it rest for 10 minutes, and then realized it had been grilling breast side down.

I removed 2 slices and saw the chicken was not done. So back in the grill, breast side up (which was pale with non-crisp skin – and I forgot to tuck in the wings) with probe properly inserted this time. 45 minutes later, the chicken was done, breast side (both sides) nicely crisped, amazing hickory wood scent. After a 10-minute rest, we gave it a try (I cut into the chicken before remembering to take a photo)

but… Third Dumb Mistake: I cut the side that I’d already removed a couple slices before returning to the grill, and seeing the skinless breast area looking rather crisp, set that first large piece to the side thinking it would be dry and nasty.

End results: incredibly juicy, incredibly tender, and a wonderful not-overpowering but also not too light flavor of hickory smoke – both white and dark meat. The Rosemary was the 2nd predominant flavor so no more herb bundles when smoking for us. That piece I’d set aside? After we finished our meal, I tore it in half to give DH some, and we both couldn’t get over the increased smokiness – it was extraordinary (and not remotely dry). So I think the skin kept some of the smoke flavor out. Ribs, or other non-skin cuts would most likely have an even more delightful taste of hickory wood smoke.

The 12” tube I purchased smoked for not quite 4 hours (not the 5 hours advertised). Though it wasn’t smoking at the 6 hour mark it still had hot embers. I just kept the grill closed and it was fine overnight.

So, yes, if you’ve a gas grill and no smoker, I’d recommend any pellet tube, and good wood pellets.

If you’ve got pellet tube or pellet tray experience with your grill, please add your input! Thanks!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County