SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathyinpa

BBQ Ribs -- Share your rubs, tips, recipes -- No judgment:)

cathyinpa
5 years ago

There was some discussion on the What's for Dinner Thread about BBQ ribs. I posted some ribs that I made in the Instant Pot and told 2Many I'd share the rub I used. Please note, this may not be for card-carrying BBQ devotees -- it's just a recipe. If you have a recipe, a tip, or method you use, feel free to share. If you want to help improve this one with ideas, please do -- really (note that there's no onion or garlic -- would that be good? I thought maybe some cayenne?). As an aside, if you have a recommendation for a basting brush, I'd love to hear. I have a silicone OXO one that kind of "globs" it on, and another natural bristle one that proceeded to deposit lots of bristles on the ribs -- not good:)

Dry Rub

2 Tablespoons light brown sugar

1 Tablespoon Chili Powder

2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika

1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt (*)

1/2 Teaspoon Pepper (*)

1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard

Rub on spareribs (I also use this to make pulled pork). *** This is definitely low seasoned -- I usually taste and add -- your mileage .... Let ribs sit for a bit (technical, I know)

Instant Pot

1 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock

2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar

1 1/2 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke

~ 2 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce

Put liquids in inner pot and place trivet (handles up) in the bottom. You can cut your ribs into sections of four bones or I just spiraled them but kept separated. Pressure cook -- Manual 25 minutes if you want a bit of chew or I go 30 minutes for fall of the bone. Let NPR ~ 15 minutes. Take out ribs and put on foil lined pan. You can defat the liquid and brush some of that onto the ribs. Brush with your favorite BBQ sauce (I used one from a man called Ray, aka Sweet Baby -- keeping it real:) and either grill until charred a bit or broil (watch, cause they go quick.)

CathyinSWPA

Comments (54)

• User
    5 years ago

We actually prefer ours without a rub. I get baby backs or St Louis cuts. Preheat the grill with the charcoal on one side only. Position the top vent over the non charcoal side. Take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil about 12" longer than the slab of ribs. Spray with Pam. Place ribs bone side down. pull the foil up around and fold ends tight. Do not close completely. Leave open along the top. Place on grill on the side without charcoal.

I cook for about an hour, turning the entire slab so that the long side alternates next to the coals. I turn the foil and all. After 45 minutes or so, I punch holes in the foil to let it drain and cover with barbeque sauce. I make a sweet/hot tomato based sauce or sometimes buy Sticky Fingers Memphis sauce. They just fall off the bone with no precooking.

Sometimes they take a little longer than an hour if they are thicker than usual.

cathyinpa thanked User
  • fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

One of the best cuts of pork ribs is called Loin Back Ribs. You can google a pig's geography, but they're much thicker and longer than Baby Back Ribs and they have a strip of loin meat running the length of the rack.

The perfect way to cook pork ribs is in a smoker, but few have one. Second best is a charcoal cooker like a Weber kettle that will let you do indirect heat. A gas cooker will work if you add some wood chips for flavor and smoke. If you must bake them in the oven, avoid making rib soup. Cook them low and slow with ample foil so they don't dry out, but don't dump a gallon of liquid on them and boil out all the flavor. (Jeez, I know there's gonna be some angry voices here, but when it comes to barbecue, I just have to stand my ground.)

The last thing in the world you'll get me to argue about is the need for sauce. To 90% of the barbecue eating public, sauce is the boss. To those of us who understand meat, it's just another rarely needed condiment.

cathyinpa thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • Related Discussions

I'll Share My Recipes If You Share Yours 2/16 - 2/22

Q

Comments (21)
    Haven't made these yet but every time I see a picture of them on Pinterest, I want one! Glazed Donut Muffins (Sweet Pea's Kitchen) For the Muffins: 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/3 cup brown sugar 2 large eggs 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 teaspoon cinnamon 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup milk For the Glaze: 3 tablespoons butter; melted 1 cup confectionersâ sugar; sifted 3/4 teaspoon vanilla 2 tablespoons hot water Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With the mixer on low speed, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and mixing until just combined. Do not overmix! Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes before glazing. To make the glaze, In a medium bowl mix together the melted butter, confectionersâ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth. When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Once hardened, dip a second time and allow to harden then serve.
    ...See More

I'll Share My Recipes If You Share Yours 2/9-2/16

Q

Comments (45)
    I can't wait for summer squash to be in season again! This is a new recipe for me, but if there is a topping of Ritz crackers involved, I'm in!! (I will mix them with a little butter since it isn't decadent enough.) SQUASH CASSEROLE (Add A Pinch) 2 tablespoons butter 4 cups sliced yellow squash 1 medium onion, chopped 2 eggs 1 cup grated cheddar cheese 1 cup milk 2 tablespoons butter (in addition to the two above) ü teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) ý teaspoon salt ý teaspoon ground black pepper 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed (I will toss with a little melted butter) Preheat oven to 350ú F. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet or saute pan over medium-low heat. Add squash and onions and cook until tender. To a large bowl, add eggs and lightly whisk. Add cheese and milk and whisk into egg until well-combined. Add cooked squash and onions to egg mixture and stir well to combined. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet used to cook squash and onions. Add to squash casserole mixture. Add cayenne pepper, if using, along with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Spray a 9ÃÂ13 casserole dish with cooking spray and pour squash casserole mixture into the baking dish. Top evenly with crushed Ritz crackers. Place in preheated oven and bake 45 minutes, or until top has lightly browned and casserole does not âÂÂjiggleâ when the dish is moved.Allow to sit for about 3 minutes before serving. Serves 12.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, April 19, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    I made these for dinner last nite and used bone-in, skin-on breasts. DH couldn't say enough about them. Just loved them. So much that he thought they deserved a glass of wine, and he doesn't drink! Once in very long while he will have a glass of wine, when the meal is special. So we did. This is out of yesterday's local paper. Grilled Chicken Thighs in Hot and Sour Glaze (The Record) 10 to 12 skinless chicken thighs (your choice of bone-in or boneless) 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil 1 or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 125 ml (half a cup) dry red wine 30 ml (two tablespoons) soy sauce 15 ml (one tablespoon) wine vinegar 5 ml (one teaspoon) hot sauce (adjust amount to taste) Heat the grill or barbecue. In a frying pan, heat the oil on medium-high and brown the meat several pieces at a time. Set aside on a plate and do the next batch until all are done. Throw the chopped garlic into the hot oil, it will quickly turn to a pale gold. As soon as it does, pour in the wine, soy sauce, vinegar and hot sauce. Stir as it sizzles and let it boil for a few moments, then turn off the heat. Pour the sauce into a small bowl, saving about 3 tablespoons for your final glaze. With a fork, pierce the chicken meat in several places. Then use a brush or small spoon to cover the meat with the remaining sauce. There will be some left over. Arrange the chicken thighs on a baking sheet under the grill in your oven, or on your barbecue, and grill another 10 to 15 minutes or until well browned. Every few minutes, brush more sauce onto the chicken. Arrange cooked chicken on a serving dish and brush the rest of the sauce on top. Makes 2 large servings, with leftovers for next day.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, December 8, 2010

Q

Comments (9)
    I've made this Honey-Whole Wheat Bread twice now and we love it! I'll post the complete recipe. My bread-maker doesn't hold 6 cups of flour, so I cut the whole recipe in half. I use it to knead the dough, then put in a loaf pan and bake. Honey Whole-Wheat Bread (2 Loaves) 3 1/2 cups white flour 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 2 pkg yeast 2 tsp salt 1 cup milk 1 cup water 1/2 cup honey 3 tbsp oil 1 egg In large bowl, combine 2 cups white flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, the yeast and salt and mix well. In saucepan heat milk, water, honey and oil until a thermometer reads 120-130 degrees. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Beat this batter for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in the rest of the whole what flour and enough remaining white flour to form a firm dough. Sprinkle work surface with flour and knead dough, adding more flour if necessary, 5-8 minutes, until smooth and satiny. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning the dough to coat the top. Cover and let rise until double, 1 hour. Punch down dough and divide into 2pieces. On lightly floured surface, roll or press each piece of dough into a 14"x7" rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal and place dough, seam-side down, into greased 9x5 bread pans, making sure short ends of bread are snuggly fitted against the sides of the pan. Cover and let rise in warm place until the dough fills the corners of the pans, and is double in bulk; 30-40 minutes. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 35-40 minutes until bread is golden brown. Bread may brown too quickly because of the honey, so cover with foil if needed. Also try baking the bread on a lower rack. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. I like to brush the bread with butter when it's still hot for a softer crust.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

Yeah, to me pork without sauce is just grilled not barbeque. I want sauce cooked into my pulled pork. And I DO understand meat! LOL!

Grilled chops, steaks, or chicken. Barbeque pork, beef, and chicken have sauce. Tomato based with brown sugar and a nice touch of heat.

ETA: I have to cook my barbeque to get what I like. No one in North Alabama cooks it the way I grew up with. Heavens, they put slaw on the sandwich.

cathyinpa thanked User
  • Louiseab
    5 years ago

The above recipe from Cathy is the one I used last weekend. It was fantastic! I prebaked them long and low then just finished them on the grill with a Bobby Flays bottled sauce. Really good.

cathyinpa thanked Louiseab
  • cathyinpa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ETA Please share pics if you have 'em!

So glad you asked this question 2Many (and there's some smoker talk, cough, cough:) -- flavors/combinations, techniques varied and complex-- all good!

arkansasgirl -- Tony Chacheri's? Love that! and I never would have thought to use it, putting in my arsenal.

chloebud -- DH rib cook? ribs are always great? Win-Win right?:) IDK why I never thought of apple juice -- that would really work for me. I actually use that when making corned beef.

plllog -- Setting you up with my DH plllog! The whole beer factor and Fred F. would have him hovering HA! Not kidding. You need to try some in your PC.

Sherry -- I can actually see how your making those ribs, Sherry! Great description And I'm laughing about your slaw comment! Here in Pittsburgh there are folks who LOVE sandwiches not only with slaw on them but french fries HAHAHAHA! (Restaurant Primantis) LIke that sweet/hot description too. I think my rub is missing a bit of heat.

fawnridge (Ricky) -- I love your passion (no lie) and wish we could all hang out grilling -- what a great way to learn! Couple of things. Brilliant about adding orange -- wow, I can see even maybe a bit of lemon in there for some citrus tang. I'm probably going to mix up 1/2 of that rub just to see a) cause I have everything b) cause I like everything in it (except the garlic and I'd prob reduce cayenne!:) But, the garam marsala? Major intrigue.

I'm laughing "While I continually chant "Good barbecue don't need no sauce" and I know you'll get what I tell my kids: "Know your audience.":)))))!

And I've made rib soup (actually, several types of meat soups in the PC:) where my liquid is full flavored cause it's sucked every vestige of life out of the meat:) Find that sweet spot.

louiseab -- Great minds:)! Going to look at Bobby Flays too. I hope they have it here -- such a limited selection. Of course, there is Amazon:)

As an aside (and I know nothing about this cause I DON'T SMOKE:) I have the Cook's Illustrated Cook's Science book (you know, the folks that quantify everything:) and thought I'd see if you smokers agree/disagree (always knowing CI can be a bit woo-woo aka over-the-top:):

Wood: Chicken, Fish, Beef/Pork Comments

Apple: Great, Great, Great -- All around hit, with "sweet, "fruity, subtly complex" flavor.

Cherry: Great, Great, Great -- Well liked for "mild/fruity" sweetness.

Hickory: Good, Good. Good -- Overall "generic but good with "balanced' flavor.

Oak: Good, Good, Good -- "Mild" "nutty" "herbal" with hints of vanilla.

Maple: Good, Fair, Good -- Evoked pleasant memories of "bacon" for some but was "resin-y" on salmon.

Alder: Fair, Good, Good -- "Delicate" flavor with "coriander/juniper" notes. Some found "bitter" with chicken.

Pecan: Fair, Fair, Good -- "intense" and "spicy" with pork brought "cigarette-like" off- flavors to chick and fish.

Mesquite: Fair, Fair, Fair -- In general, "harsh" "acrid" reminding of "burnt rubber."

Funny, I would have selected mesquite as a first attempt:)

CathyinSWPA

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

I'm with Ricky - if it's not smoked, it's not barbecue. I have nothing against oven roasted ribs, just don't call them barbecue! Anyway, the list of woods from Cooks Illustrated is interesting but it really is a matter of personal taste, as well as dependent on the temperature at which you smoke. Any wood can produce acrid flavors at high temps or if you smoke for too long. Mesquite is the one you have to be most careful with, as it really can be overpowering. I'm rather surprised that pecan rated so poorly in their tests because it is by far my favorite wood for pork. I love cherry too, but I'm less of a fan of apple.

As for the rub vs sauce vs both question, I'm generally a rub-only person as long as the meat has been seasoned and smoked properly. Oven baked or crockpot meats generally need sauce to make them interesting. My favorite commercial bbq sauce is Stubb's spicy, but I generally make my own if I'm serving bbq to guests. I enjoy experimenting with regional styles and sauces (for example, mustard or vinegar based rather than sweet/red).

I make different rubs for different meats, but my basic rub for pork includes salt, white pepper, brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, cumin and jalapeno powder. From there I sometimes add a small amount of other spices to change things up - a bit of cinnamon or ginger, or a little ground sage and thyme. Experimenting with rub and wood combinations is part of the fun!

cathyinpa thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • User
    5 years ago

We like spare ribs rather than baby backs. We use "Oklahoma Joe's (Now Joe's KC -- famous KC BBQ restaurant) rub on our ribs and then DH smokes them low and slow. It's KC BBQ ribs at their best! Our BBQ sauce is added as we eat them.

cathyinpa thanked User
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Cathy, I have so enjoyed just looking at those ribs – from rubbed, to cooked and sliced, to the plating! The rub looked amazing, the ribs look tender and juicy, and now that I’ve read the ingredients I definitely want to use it for our next racks of ribs – thank you for generously sharing it!

I’m in the camp of ‘there is no one way to make ribs, and there is no one way to make the perfect ribs for me and mine’. I also think there are a variety of ways to make ribs that might fit your current cravings more so at certain times, or for certain occasions, or even for certain weather. And I for one never want to stop trying new recipes or methods!

I’m also in the camp that believes a good grilled rack needs no sauce, but I find sauce to be like the au jus or horseradish sauce for prime rib – without it, it’s good, with it you’ve got another layer of flavor. I’ve added a wee bit of sauce at the end of grilling sometimes, and like it like that as well.

I have use ann_t’s recipe for Greek ribs: first I remove the membrane, then rub the racks with salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh lemon juice, and minced garlic, wrap the ribs and let them sit in the fridge for 6-8 hours. That’s it. Simple.

I grill our ribs on a gas grill, often (now) using a smoker pellet tube with hickory pellets (I now have apple and will try those next. (CATHY, DID YOU HEAR THAT? SMOKER TUBE. SMOKER TUBE. Smoker Tube… you know you want one (nudging you in the ribs… oh! Pun intended, HA!)

My method is low, slow, and stacked. Heat the grill to high as it will go, then I bump it down to about 365 -375 F on my wired temp gauge, and stack one rack directly on top of the other – bone side down for both. I grill 4 hours, and every 30 minutes I put the top rack on the bottom, the bottom rack on the top – this lets all those lovely juices drip back onto the ribs underneath. Pork fat rules in my house! The last 30 minutes I sometimes brush just a little of BBQ sauce on each rack. Sometimes I don’t. BTW, the ribs aren’t greasy one iota.

Ann_t mentioned TBQ sauce, so I found this recipe:

TBQ Sauce

1/2 cup Ketchup

1/2 cup prepared mustard

1/2 cup vinegar white

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 cup white sugar

…then, because I’m a total wimp, I mix this sauce with Stubb’s BBQ sauce (giving a wave to biondanonima!) : ) About less than ¾ TBQ and a little more than ¼ store-bought sweeter sauce. It’s served on the side, and I think there is something in it that’s addictive!! I freeze leftover ribs so we can enjoy them whenever, and always freeze servings of BBQ sauce to serve with them : )

These were grilled for 3 hours at around 400 - 450 + F. Still incredibly tender/fall off the bone even though the rib bones weren't poking through, but I prefer the 4 hour method.

Photos for uploading · More Info

Sauce on the side : )

Photos for uploading · More Info

cathyinpa thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • User
    5 years ago

I like the ribs that have already been trimmed and membrane removed before purchase. Lately this brand of St Louis cut has been very good.

http://www.smithfield.com/products/extra-tender-fresh-pork/

cathyinpa thanked User
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Struggled with ribs for years.

The way Mom made them was to dry roast in the oven with just S & P and garlic powder. Those were delicious but the pork was from either our home grown hogs and from the day when grocery store pork had a lot more flavor than the factory farm pseudo pork that is prevalent today.

A couple of months or so back, 2Many inspired me to get a pellet tube smoker. Inaugural ribs, no rub, no nuthin' were freaking delicious. (Cherry, hickory, maple blend IIRC.) Will be my go-to for ribs from now on. Except maybe, if I get some heritage hog ribs, I'll go with Mom's method just for nostalgia's sake.

Agree with CI about mesquite. I don't like it. At all. Disagree w/ their opinion on pecan. Love it for pork and chicken but definitely not with beef.

I keep Sweet Baby Ray's to use in cheater baked beans but it's just tooo sweet (to my taster) for anything else. It has a great balanced flavor, though. Thinking maybe I need to mix it some vinegar based BBQ sauce to rein in some of the sweet?

cathyinpa thanked ci_lantro
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Well, Houzz at it again. I posted a thread titled "Share your hot weather simple recipes" with the herbed potato salad and it was listed in my 'activity', but I didn't see it on GW Cooking. Now it's not listed. I'll give it a day in case it pops up again!

ETA: The above is not very clear... I posted the above (or tried to) for Cathy as she so generously shared her rib recipe in trade for the herbed potato recipe (though no trade ever needed!).

cathyinpa thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • shuffles_gw
    5 years ago

In order of percentage, our rub consists of coriander, dry ginger, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and sometimes merquen. Merquen is like chipotle except from Chile. We use back ribs and never use sauce. When available we use feral pig ribs. We cook on a gas grill with a pan of water over the burners at 270 for four hours.

cathyinpa thanked shuffles_gw
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

Sometimes I go to extremes with a hundred spices and seasonings, spend hours to make a rub.

And sometimes simply brush on a thick coat of hoisin sauce in a few seconds and grill. Just as good.

dcarch

cathyinpa thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Barbecue is simple cooking. When you start getting a dozen spices together to make your rub, you've crossed the boundary between simple and fancy. I cooked several times against a guy from North Florida who had a rub made up of 30 different spices. He scored well but always at least 5 places below me and that simple rub I posted above.

On the subject of wood, simple again rules the day. I've watched cooks put six different varieties of wood into their smoker at the same time! What I've found that works best is just one variety of wood per cook. I only use hickory, which, if you read a million barbecue books, is considered to be the traditional wood for barbecue.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

@Sherry: Your statement about the membrane being removed from the Smithfield St Louis ribs is interesting. That is the brand I purchased to use for the 4th of July - it had the membrane which I had to remove.

cathyinpa thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • User
    5 years ago

I didn't see one on mine? I have cooked them several times already this year. I always buy Baby Back or St Louis. I never buy regular spareribs. I"ll check the next time I buy.

cathyinpa thanked User
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

This is a good place for me to discuss something thats been on my mind. You are all seasoned cooks and won't get sick. My son cooked ribs once and brought them to my house saying the pork had parasites and wanted me to see before tossing them. LOL. I knew before he even arrived what he was seeing..the Cartledge. They do gross me out but I sure wouldn't toss the ribs. I told my grands to prepare for a snack where we sat at the table and enjoyed the delicious ribs. My son was disgusted. LOL. I told him next time trim the ribs before cooking or buy St Louis or baby backs that are already trimmed...these two are already trimmed right?? Course if they arnt I'll have another slab of ribs sent to me..LOL.

cathyinpa thanked mamapinky0
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Sherry, the membrane was extremely thin and hard to see and very hard to remove, but it was there. At first, I did not think there was a membrane, but I kept looking and finally saw it - it ran the whole length of the rack.

• User
    5 years ago

Well, we didn't notice it when we ate them either! LOL!

cathyinpa thanked User
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Well shoot! If you didn't notice it, I won't fool with it the next time. As I said, it was very hard to remove.

• User
    5 years ago

Maybe it is the way I cook them. They simmer for 45 minutes to an hour in their own juices. In a boat of aluminum foil.

cathyinpa thanked User
  • fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Every now and then you'll buy ribs where the membrane has already been removed - good catch. I use a teaspoon with a rounded handle to remove the membrane, but you can use any dull rounded tool such as an old butter knife or an oyster shucking knife as well. Start in the middle, where it's easiest to get underneath, and just work your tool back and forth a bit until you can get a finger under the membrane. Then just slide right and left, and you'll get it to release. Spares are more work than Loin Backs or Baby Backs and it's best to remove the membrane before you trim them to St. Louis style.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Yours truly cooking loin backs on the best cooker I ever owned - The Backwoods Party. Over 8-1/2 years, I took more than a dozen trophies with this rascal. I finally burnt up all the insulation and donated it to a friend who refurbished it for a Boys & Girls Club. Glaze going on for the last 10 minutes.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

I want the three on the bottom rack. They have all the wonderful juices from the two racks above.

dcarch

cathyinpa thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • Steve J
    5 years ago

And put these under the bottom rack of ribs, or au gratin potatoes.

cathyinpa thanked Steve J
  • Steve J
    5 years ago

I never seem to remember to take the after pics cuz I'm too hungry, but here's a few slabs on the egg above those beans. I normally use Dizzy Dust by Dizzy Pig because I'm lazy... but sometimes make my own.

cathyinpa thanked Steve J
  • cathyinpa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! I feel like a kindergartner here HA!

Also, am I the only that finds some brands of smoked paprika have heat? I used Penzey's just smoky, bought another (either Trader Jo or Whole Foods?) and was like wow!

biondanonima -- I appreciate your thoughts on experimenting with rub and wood combinations. I have only ever used the sweet and red, but keep looking at the vinegar. May pull the trigger.

2Many -- Dang, those ribs look good. And I actually think sauce on the side is a great idea! Your cooking style evokes kind of an architect's rendering or better yet -- lego/lincoln logs HAHA! Your maxim "‘there is no one way to make ribs, and there is no one way to make the perfect ribs for me and mine." is spot on here. BTW, I literally LOL'd about nudging, but I couldn't quite make out the sentence right before it:) Need to try Stubbs too I guess.

Sherry/Walnut -- Goodness! Please do not tell me there is a membrane that needs to be removed from
    baby back ribs????????????????????????????? GAH! I thought that was
    just silver skin/membrane pork tenderloin? I have to go google a pic!

ci_lantro -- you have a smoker too????? 2Many at it again;) Very interesting about your findings re home grown vs factory farm. Gosh, I bet that is a delicious memory and probably spoils you for some of the stuff we think is exceptional. Like the SBR in the baked beans idea too. Using that one.

shuffles_gw -- off to look at merquen, and I like the ginger. Something I wouldn't have thought of. Candidly though, totally fascinated that you have feral pig available.

dcarch -- I can admit this to you because we both appreciate flowers on a plate:) I have a jar of hoisin sauce that I've never opened cause I feel a little tentative about it. HA! Maybe I'll at least open it up and taste it now:)

mamapinky0 -- HAHAHA! Story is priceless.

fawnridge(ricky) -- if that picture doesn't epitomize true joy, I don't know what does. Gosh, do you look like your in your element! Going to investigate Loin ribs -- do they have that membrane????

Okay, happened to have Mark Bittman How to Grill Everything from the library, and I shared on the WFD thread he has a recipe for Smoked Mac 'n Cheese -- oh my goodness.

Some snips from his book.

Chris's Best Ever Rub

2 T Sugar

2 T Paprika

1 T salt

1 T ground cumin

1 T black pepper

1 T chili powder (gives directions to make your own)

For five-spice: sub 2 tsp five-spice for chili. For Chipotle: Sub 1 tsp chiptole chile powder for the chili powder. For Smoked Paprika: Sub smoked for regular.

He also gives 9 spice blends you can make: curry, chili, jerk, five-spice, garam masala, za'tar, baharat, ras el hanout. Very nice.

Classic BBQ Sauce

1 T butter

2 T minced onion

1 T minced garlic

1/2 Cup ketchup

2 T cider vinegar

2 T brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp worcestershire or soy sauce.

Summarized directions by me -- cook onions and garlic in butter till soft. Add all other ingredients whisk to combine. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.

Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce

1 T butter

1/4 Cup minced onion

1 Cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 1/2 T distilled white vinegar

1 T honey

1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard (ballpark stuff)

1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cayenne

salt and pepper

Same directions as above.

Have to run. Thanks everyone for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

CathyinSWPA

2Many -- I'll be looking for that post:)

• User
    5 years ago

Mine looked like the ribs at the end where the membrane is pulled up. I really think it was already removed. I have bought ribs before with it on and it is very chewy and never gets tender.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/remove-membrane-from-pork-ribs-995303

cathyinpa thanked User
  • plllog
    5 years ago

Cathy, by PC do you mean pressure cooker? Maybe one of those big canning varieties, but the Flintstone ribs don't fit in my multipot. :) They didn't have any ribs at the store, but when I asked the butcher, he found a rack and a half of beef (no bison!) in the back. :) Just have to decide between the Corona which is good for baking or a more pungent ale.

BTW, to be clear there are several different meanings to "barbecue":

1. The solid fueled, grill topped cooking device, sometimes extended to gas grill appliances.

1. The food cooked on a barbecue.

2. Barbecue flavor, usually spices and/or smoke, such as barbecue potato chips.

I agree that food cooked in an oven isn't barbecue, but it can be "barbecue style" or "barbecue flavor". :D

cathyinpa thanked plllog
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Ricky, it's nice to "see" you!

Because I grow my own beef, chicken, sometimes pork and recently, duck, and I've done it my whole life, plus cooked it and eaten it, I think I know meat, from the ground up, LOL. I have often said that good beef doesn't need any help, but that's usually referring to steak because I like sauce with pork, even smoked pork shoulder that Elery has done in the smoker. (shrug) Taste is subjective, not objective.

I also like the Stubb's BBQ sauce, and I like mine a little sweet and just a little hot. Right now I have a new batch of my homemade tart cherry BBQ sauce, so that's the sauce of choice for now. I usually start the ribs in the oven, wrapped in tin foil. I always remove the membrane, usually by starting one edge then just grabbing it with a paper towel and pulling, often it comes right off in a big hunk. After a couple of hours in the oven with either a rub or just salt and pepper, depending on my mood, they go on the grill to crisp up. That's when the sauce gets added. Is it BBQ or is it just grilled? I guess I just don't care, I like them the way I like them.

When Elery does use the smoker we usually use apple wood because we have apple trees that require annual pruning, so we have lots of it. Sometimes cherry, because we have that too. Occasionally he'll buy hickory or mesquite.

I'm normally not a big fan of pork, I've even lost my taste for bacon and ham, but I just really love good ribs with lots of sauce. Not so tender they fall apart, but tender with just enough chew that you know you're eating something. Texture is very important for me in most things, including ribs.

Annie

cathyinpa thanked annie1992
  • cathyinpa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

plllog -- I did mean pressure cooker, plllog. Out of my element here, but I've left the ribs intact and then curled the ribs to fit inner pot standing on end. I'm going to google some bison rib pics. Like your bbq clarification. What's a person called who really doesn't like the ribs per se and just picks at the charred pieces:D? BTW, if you have beer, whatever kind, my DH will keep you company.

fawnridge(ricky) -- So are these loin ribs labeled or is this a case where there are a bunch of names (like steaks)? Certainly not definitive/authority, but I have the Bittman book open. Which category (or not) are the loin.

Quick Survey of Ribs

Baby back ribs: The leanest and smallest of all rib. Cut from near the back bone, a rack will weigh 1.5 to 2 lbs, the cook up fastest on the grill. When you go to buy them, look closely to avoid "shiners" -- racks where you can clearly see the bones showing htrough on both sides. Shiners cheat you of meat. (* I didn't know this)

Spare ribs: These are cut from closer to the breastbone and much fattier (largely in the form of marbling, which will melt and deliver delicious flavor) than baby backs. A full slab of spare ribs weigh between 3 and 4 lbs. and is irregularly shaped, somewhat like a fan.

Center-cut ribs: Also know as St. Louis-style ribs, this is a squared-off slab of spare ribs. You'll know you have center-cut ribs (it's not always marked on the package) if you find an odd flap of meat included underneath the rack. Grill it along with ribs, although it tends to remain chewy.

Steve -- good grief, those beans would be crazy good. And there would only be "before" shots if I made those ribs too.

Sherry -- Great visual! (I actually clicked on the Beginner's Guide too, cause that's me) Mine didn't have the membrane. Whew!

Annie -- I hear that mom's really like cherry BBQ sauce:) "I like them the way I like them" Yes! I'm a charred piece picker:), but I do have "chew" raters. I've kind of hit the sweet spot in my PC (look away true BBQ enthusiasts:) 25 minutes chew/30 fall off; the assemblage dictates the timing.

CathyinSWPA

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Cathy, I'm going to throw a wrench into your list, I have about 10 pounds of something called "riblets" in the freezer. They are the curved end of a side of ribs, the butchers cut them about in half and want that flat piece to package, and sell the "riblets" separately. When we got that hog butchered we got several beautiful flat packages of ribs and a bag of "riblets".

Yes, Moms do tend to like that cherry BBQ sauce, as long as they don't know what they are eating. (grin) I just canned 5 pints of cherry juice yesterday so I can use it in marinade. Maybe ribs, but probably for the ducks that are in the freezer.

Annie

• User
    5 years ago

Annie, Cathy just copied the main section of ribs normally sold. Here is the complete list for anyone who needs it. I'm sure you don't raising your own meat! LOL!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/pork-ribs-a-beginners-guide-995246

When I was a kid, spareribs were huge curved things with very little meat on them and those hard to eat riblets attached. needless to say, I didn't like ribs. Even when I was first married, that was the only pork ribs available. I would cook them maybe once a year. It was fantastic when the stores started carrying what I call "good" ribs. I like Baby Backs and St Louis cuts equally. They cook fall off the bone tender on the grill in about an hour or so with no precooking. I also buy those country ribs sometimes for crock pot recipes in the winter. They can be kinda iffy, since every store has a different idea what country ribs are.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Both Costco and BJ's stock Loin Back ribs. They're usually Smithfield brand, but they have had others. Loin Back ribs are becoming more and more popular thanks to these two merchandising giants. I haven't seen them in King Soopers out in Colorado or Safeway, but they'll be there eventually.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I use a home-made spice blend that I use on almost everything......eggs, fried potatoes, pork chops, fish fillets, in the hamburger to make tacos. etc etc.

It has a bunch of stuff.....cayenne, paprika, dry mustard, cumin, garlic powder, dried coriander, a bit of curry, chili powder, and much more.

I rubbed that with some brown sugar and black pepper on my back ribs this morning, stuck them in the frig for a couple of hours, and they're in the slow cooker for dinner tonite.

Brushed with AnnT's TBQ barbecue sauce (upthread) (I cut down on the yellow mustard), and grilled or broiled.

• plllog
    5 years ago

Annie, you bring back childhood memories! My mother bought meat by the side, cryovac, and we always had barbecue lamb riblets. They were SO good!

Cathy, the beer is for cooking! Not that I wouldn't share, of course, if y'all were coming by... I've tried a number of liquids for braising beef/bison ribs and beer seems best. The best for ribs is dark Yorkshire ale. Old Peculier. But any decent beer in general will do. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Ricky… now that’s a photo of a man in his element, happy as can be!

Steve J, those ribs look amazing! I’ve never seen that many ribs on an egg- way to grill!

Annie, I like my sauce a little sweet and a little hot too. The mix of stubb’s and the TBQ sauce is perfect for us.

Here's the method I use to remove membrane - if I'm freezing my ribs I remove the membrane first. I have never had it break on me while pulling with a paper towel.

• Islay Corbel
    5 years ago

No advice to give...... I get total rib envy when I see what you all do with your ribs and grills....its not something the Europeans do well compared to you all at all. Bbqs here are very tame affairs compared to what im seeing lol

• chloebud
    5 years ago

"I have never had it break on me while pulling with a paper towel."

Same here, 2Many...works really well.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Hah, I was removing the membrane on the weekend with my paper towel as usual. It tore cleanly down the middle in half. I had to start it again to remove the other half. I hate taking off the membrane.

• Louiseab
    5 years ago

When I bought the case of Danish baby backs for our party last weekend (22 lbs), I was very happily surprised and relieved, to find that the membrane had already been removed. I find that sometimes the membrane on some ribs comes away easily, and some I just give up on.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

I think the paper towel is simply for cooks that don't want to touch the meat with their bare hands. Of course, in competition you were required to wear gloves, but I never saw anyone use a piece of paper towel to pull off the membrane. I would think it would get damp and tear. Whatever. I been using my spoon and finger technique for so long it's just second nature.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

The paper towel really helps you grip the membrane. I have no issue touching meat but I always use a paper towel for that particular task, just for the grip.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

The pic is great. That is one happy smoker, : )

Smoked a pile of ribs early Spring. Low and slow packed tight. open the packets at some point...no competing here. I only get the Costco ribs. Planning another round this coming weekend. Garden is planted and on its own now except for minor up-keep. Ribs are a good project.

I like the GaramMasala addition to the rub. I make my own GM so I just may do one of the packs using that version. My spice rub falls into the complicated category but I have the spices and like fresh roasted, ground fresh. Doesn't take long at all and I can stock up other blends that are low at the same time.

I bbq a big batch while I'm at it. I swear the neighbors can smell it. One is a football field away and the other is 3 fields away. We do fair trade with the closer. His leeks are baseball bats and mine are toothpicks. He brings leeks and I give all the rhubarb they want. "whatcha cookin'?". The other neighbor is 6'6 and huge. He could use the walk but he drives. "whatcha cookin'?". He offers nothing but an appetite, lol.

Plenty for everyone.

I plan on 8-10hours. Start about 9am. All I have patience for. I aim for fall-of-the-bone with a tug. I like it to hold on. Leftovers I pull off the bone and food saver in packets for the freezer for mid week quick tacos.

I use wood, side fire box. Free fuel. Maple, birch, pear, plum, apple. Old trees.

Mesquite powder is a great ingredient. From the seed pods, not the bark/wood. Smells like milk chocolate. HERE

• User
    5 years ago

My son does the BQ competitions and he uses the paper towel. I don't have to, because the ribs I buy are already missing the membrane.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I think removal techniques for the membrane depends on personal preference, how dry the meat is, how stuck to the meat the membrane is, and hand/finger strength. I tried the paper towel method first, which worked, then tried the butter knife in the middle technique and never could get the knife all the way under in the middle without tearing the membrane. I’ve also been in a hurry and used a sharp knife to pick the membrane away from an end, them skipped the paper towel and used bare hands – worked with the first rack, but my hands were too slippery for the second and my grip isn’t the greatest maybe.

Sleevendog, no wonder your neighbors can smell those ribs, I mean, big batch at 8-10 hours… pretty sure I’ve smelled them too : ) You know how I love herbs and spices as you do, but I’ve not made nearly the custom spices I want. Now mesquite powder? Added to my future list : ) I know mesquite isn’t popular with some, but my taste for it is well-developed after living in New Mexico. Also sage. Oh leeks! Leeks here are so darned expensive. Last time I made leek soup I almost had to take out a loan, ha ha. You are so lucky to have that neighbor! He’s lucky to have you and your ribs!

• cathyinpa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

plllog -- you may think that beer is for cooking -- it may go among the missing if DH were around:)

You guys, this whole membrane thing???? I'm like louiseab. I've never seen it, and I'm really glad;) I will say though, that I bought some baby backs at Whole Foods this week, and I saw "shiners"! Of course, I didn't notice them until my son and I were putting on the rub:)

In any event, I forget which thread I posted these (lost my mind), but son made some the other day in the Instant Pot. I still need to try some of these homemade BBQ sauces -- this was the rest of Sweet Baby and broiler.

shambo -- I'm so happy it worked for you and your husband! My dad has Parkinsons (swallowing difficulties too) and enjoys these also. And yeah! to having some flexibility, right? Heat, spiders, bug repellents -- no match for the Instant Pot HA!

CathyinSWPA

• Sooz
    4 years ago

Time to resurrect this thread and maybe add some more posts?? I do loves me some ribs!

Smiles,

Sooz

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

I remember this from last year. Good thread. I just used my mesquite powder last weekend making my rub. Just now put another pound in my cart and it is on sale.

Like said, it is from the pods not the wood....

A staple food of indigenous cultures, mesquite powder provides a unique flavor to a wide variety of culinary preparations; from baking to cooking, seasoning, and even barbeques. Naturally sweet molasses-like flavor with rich nutty hints similar to carob. It is a tasty addition to smoothies and "super" shakes, coffee, baked goods, and chocolates.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor