SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti43

I'll Share My Recipes If You Share Yours 2/9-2/16

patti43
10 years ago

I hope we get more recipes this week. Seems like the same people every week posting. Maybe it's outgrown the need here. It'd sure be nice to see some new faces here along with the regular people who are so kind to share.

Dijon Tarragon Chicken

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon

Melt the butter and heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium, cover and continue cooking 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Set aside and keep warm.

Stir cream into the pan, scraping up brown bits. Mix in mustard and tarragon. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet to coat with sauce. Drizzle chicken with the remaining sauce to serve.

This post was edited by patti43 on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 12:43

Comments (45)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

Chicken Almondine

4 - 6 boneless breasts, skinned and trimmed
    1/2 cup flour mixed with salt and pepper to taste
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons water
    1 cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs
    1/4 cup blanched sliced almonds
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    Milk or half and half
    Butter and oil for frying
    1/4 - 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)

Make egg wash by mixing together egg, oil and water. In blender on high speed, blend bread crumbs and almonds for 10 seconds. To bread chicken, dip in flour mixture, then egg wash, then bread crumb mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Heat butter and oil for frying over medium heat in saute pan. Add chicken and saute until well done, about 10 minutes. (If using mushrooms, saute them along with chicken.)

Meanwhile, make sauce: In pan, melt butter, add flour to make a roux. Add chicken broth, boil and stir constantly until thickened. Thin to desired sauce consistency with a little of the milk or 1/2 and 1/2. Keep sauce warm until ready to serve.

Spoon some sauce on serving platter (or individual plates), place chicken on sauce and add more sauce on top. Garnish with toasted sliced blanched almonds. Serve with rice pilaf and a fresh green vegetable.

Sue

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Caramelized Cauliflower (Lidia Bastianich)

1 head cauliflower, cut in florets
    1/4 cup olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, sliced
    1 tsp red pepper flakes

Saute garlic and red pepper flakes until fragrant. Add cauliflower and stir well. Cook for a few minutes and add some water.

Cover and saute/steam until almost tender. Uncover and let cauliflower caramelize, stirring periodically.

• Related Discussions

I'll Share My Recipes, If You Share Yours 1/26 - 2/1/14

Q

Comments (21)
    A friend of mine sent me this recipe, and she makes them. She's never baked them in the microwave. I doubt if I would either because I wouldn't bake just one, but it might be worth a try. It sure would be a handy dough to have on hand. Refrigerator Applesauce Wheat Muffins Favorite Recipes --The Muffin Cookbook Mix up this batter and refrigerate in a tightly covered plastic bowl. If you cook for one, you can scoop out batter for one muffin at a time. Bake in the microwave oven for 30 to 50 seconds, or in conventional oven. 3/4 cup All-purpose Flour 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp Salt 1 cup Quick-cooking Rolled Oats 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar 1 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 3/4 cup Buttermilk 1/4 cup Applesauce 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil 1 egg, beaten 1/4 cup Raisins Directions: In large bowl, combine flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In small bowl, combine buttermilk, applesauce, oil and egg until blended. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 10 days. Microwave: Line 6 microwavable muffin-pan cups with double paper liners. Spoon batter into each cup filling 1/2 full. Microwave at HIGH (100%) power, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Rotate dish 1/2 turn halfway thru cooking. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure. For last 3 muffins, line 3 muffin cups with double paper liners. Microwave at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Makes about 15 muffins. Conventional: Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease or paper-line 12 (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups. Spoon batter into cups. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean Makes 12 muffins. Note: Have never cooked in the Microwave
    ...See More

I'll Share My Recipes If You Share Yours 2/16 - 2/22

Q

Comments (21)
    Haven't made these yet but every time I see a picture of them on Pinterest, I want one! Glazed Donut Muffins (Sweet Pea's Kitchen) For the Muffins: 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/3 cup brown sugar 2 large eggs 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 teaspoon cinnamon 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup milk For the Glaze: 3 tablespoons butter; melted 1 cup confectionersâ sugar; sifted 3/4 teaspoon vanilla 2 tablespoons hot water Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With the mixer on low speed, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and mixing until just combined. Do not overmix! Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes before glazing. To make the glaze, In a medium bowl mix together the melted butter, confectionersâ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth. When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Once hardened, dip a second time and allow to harden then serve.
    ...See More

I'll Share My Recipes If You Share Yours 2/2-2/9

Q

Comments (12)
    I made Ina's Apple Crostata the other nite. It's our favourite apple pie, by far. I thought of taking a pic, after we'd already had our pieces. Apple Crostata (Ina Garten) Pastry: 1 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons granulated or superfine sugar 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 pound (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, diced 2 tablespoons ice water For the filling: 1 1/2 pounds Macintosh, Macoun, or Empire apples (3 large) 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest 1/4 cup flour 1/4 cup granulated or superfine sugar 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the feed tube. Keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass. Turn the dough onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate one for at least an hour. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet. For the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into eighths. Cut each wedge into 3 chunks. Toss the chunks with the orange zest. Cover the tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle. Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the appl
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, June 2, 2011

Q

Comments (3)
    These meatballs are great and you can use any sauce you want to. I've used the entire recipe for a party and they were a hit! Cranberry meatballs 2 pounds ground chuck 2 large eggs 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon thyme 1 (16-ounce) can cranberry sauce OR you can use the whole cranberry suce. 1 (12-ounce) jar chili sauce 1 Tablespoon brown sugar 2 tsp lemon juice Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Shape mixture into about 54 (1-inch) balls.***I made 75 with smaller balls Cook meatballs, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned (about 5 minutes); remove meatballs from pan, and drain well on paper towels. Stir together cranberry and chili sauces, sugar and lemon juice. in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and cook, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes or until smooth. Add meatballs; reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until centers are no longer pink. **Because my meatballs were smaller, cooked in 10 minutes. ***The thyme, etc added an extra delightful taste to the meatballs
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    10 years ago

oops

edited wrong thread

This post was edited by glenda_al on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 20:17

• trixietx
    10 years ago

I got this recipe from the Bisquick website and have made them several times. They are great to have in the freezer and very good.

Impossibly Easy Mini Breakfast Sausage Pies

Sausage Mixture
    3/4 pound ground pork breakfast sausage, 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup,) 1 can (4 oz) Green Giantî mushroom pieces and stems, drained, 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Baking Mixture
    1/2 cup Original Bisquickî mix, 1/2 cup milk, 2 eggs

STEP 1Heat oven to 375ðF. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with
    cooking spray.
    STEP 2In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat
    5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink;
    drain. Cool 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms, salt, sage and cheese.
    STEP 3In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or
    fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each
    muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup sausage mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon
    baking mixture onto sausage mixture in each muffin cup.
    STEP 4Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center
    comes out clean, and tops of muffins are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.
    With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan and
    place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve.

(I didn't use the mushrooms and sage, but I used 4 oz. green chilies.)

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Speaking of Bisquick, back in the '70s they put little cookbooks in the box and there was one my daughter really liked called hamburger pie. Well, I lost the recipe and have been looking for it all over the web. It was a little like a meat loaf with a lattice crust on top made from Bisquick. That crust was really good, as I recall.

Well, yesterday I found it. I'm going to try it again just to see if it is as good as I remember. Also think that crust would be good on other things. Here's the recipe:

HAMBURGER PIE W/ BISQUICK LATTICE CRUST (CookShareLove)

1 pound ground beef
    2 teaspoon minced onion
    1 teaspoon chili pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 egg

1 c. Bisquick mix
    1/4 c. soft butter
    1 Tbsp. boiling water

Mix beef, onion, chili powder, garlic salt, pepper, and egg. Spread in ungreased pie pan.

Combine Bisquick, butter, water, and stir till the dough cleans the bowl. Gently roll out dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Remove top paper and cut into strips. Form a lattice on top of the meat mixture and bake at 375 degrees for 30 min.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

This came into my email today and I definitely plan on making them. I have all the ingredients. Although, it calls for table salt specifically, and I only use kosher. I can't stand the taste of table salt. Would the larger granules make any difference, do you think?

The reviews were all 5 starts, and a number said that they are even better the following day.

Bittersweet Cocoa Brownies (Fine Cooking)

2-1/4 oz. (3/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
    1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. table salt
    5 oz. (10 Tbs.) hot melted unsalted butter
    2 cold large eggs
    1-1/2 oz. (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
    1 cup broken walnut or pecan pieces (optional)
    Heat the oven to 325ðF. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan (preferably metal) with foil across the bottom and up two opposite sides of the pan.

In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, salt, and hot melted butter with a hand mixer or with vigorous strokes of a whisk. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until the batter is thick and lightened in color, 1 to 2 min. Add the flour and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended. Fold in the nuts, if using. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until the top is puffed and slightly crusted and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little fudge batter clinging to it, 28 to 30 min.

Let the brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack. Lift the ends of the foil to remove them. Invert the brownies on a tray and peel off the foil. Turn the brownies right side up on a cutting board and cut into squares (wipe the knife between each cut, as the brownies will be soft and sticky).

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Patti, if you're seeing this, on your Dijon Chicken recipe, the fraction is blacked out. Is it 1/4 or 1/2 cup of cream?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Patti, I have one observation about this thread. It always seemed to me that our WalnutCreek herself was responsible for many of the posts in her threads. The draw seemed to be in the 'genre: of recipes requested. Some categories were more popular than others.

I always visit this forum, but rarely post because my favorite dishes aren't made with a recipe! :-( I want to support this thread and will use my favorite cook books to come up with some good suggestions.

Don't give up! I appreciate your time and effort....you're the best!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

Lime Jello and Pineapple Salad

1 (85 g) packages lime Jell-O gelatin small box
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup chopped canned pineapple ring
    1/2 cup grated carrot
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional) or 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
    1 cup boiling water

Directions

Using a large bowl completely dissolve Jello in the boiling water.
    Mix in sour cream and whisk until there are no lumps.
    Stir in pineapple, carrots, celery and nuts.
    Pour into a ring Jello mould.
    Place in refrigerator and chill for at least three hours.
    When ready to serve unmould Jello by dipping the bottom in very hot water for a few moments, place a plate over the top and turn upside down.

I found this on line as I have been looking for a recipe like this. I plan on trying it this week.

Sue

• luckygardnr
    10 years ago

Bacon Wrapped Arugula and Mozza Stuffed Chicken Breasts

4 chicken breasts, almost butterflied
    Arugula, cleaned and dried (spinach can be substituted)
    8 slices bacon
    Fresh mozzarella ball, sliced into 4 pieces
    Salt and pepper

Slice large pockets into the chicken breasts. Season lightly, as the bacon is a bit salty. Wrap the mozzarella slices with arugula leaves, and stuff into the chicken pockets. Wrap each breast in 2 slices of bacon, securing with toothpicks.

Barbecue at 425â until the bacon is almost crisp.

Enjoy!

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I don't want to see this thread end! It's been going over the years, and I like people posting whatever recipe they want to post.

A lot of times (today's for instance) I'll post a recipe that catches my eye and is in my to-try binder. They aren't always TNT, although I will mention it if it is one of our favourites.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

One of my couisins sent this recipe to me. I love everything that is in it, but have not tried it, but want to do so. I have been doing very little cooking recently.

Caponata (Eggplant with Capers)

Serve this dish hot as a side dish to accompany fish or chicken, or at room temperature for an antipasto.

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
    1 16-oz can Italian plum tomatoes
    4 - 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    6 ribs celery with leaves, diced
    1 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb) unpeeled, cubed
    2 Tbs sugar
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup pitted green olives
    1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the oil in a skillet over moderate heat.

Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peppers and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, heat 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the oil over moderate heat.

Sautee the celery for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the thyme. In the skillet used for the celery heat 1/2 cup olive oil and sauté the eggplant for 5 minutes over moderate heat. Transfer the eggplant and celery to the tomato mixture.

Simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, olives, and capers. Season with salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 8 to 12 as an appetizer.

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jasdip--I edited the recipe so it's right now.. It's 1/2 c. cream and worth every clogged artery!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

No, we won't let it end....and here's a recipe I've made several times after having it in S. Carolina.

Mango Grilled Shrimp

1/3 cup mango chutney

1/3 cup fresh lime juice (not the bottled stuff)

1 T peeled and minced fresh ginger

1 T minced garlic

1 tsp. olive oil

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Mint and lime slices for garnish

⢠Combine chutney and next four ingredients in zip-lock bag, add shrimp, and marinate for one hour....not longer.

⢠After one hour, remove shrimp from bag and reserve marinade.

⢠Thread shrimp on skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water while shrimp is marinating, and use two at a time so that the shrimp can be flipped easily) and place on hot grill.

⢠Grill 3 to 5 minutes (until shrimp are pink and firm), flipping once.

⢠Boil reserved marinade in small pan to pour over shrimp, garnish.

Wonderful with mango rice and a crispy, colorful salad.

From "Full Moon, High Tide ", a cookbook published as fundraiser by Beaufort Academy, Beaufort, South Carolina.

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

This is for the old fashioned "Johnnycake" that my grandmother made many, many years ago......

Combine:
    3/4 cups sugar
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3 tsp. baking powder. Set aside.

Mix 3 eggs
    1/2 cup shortening or oil
    1 cup milk. Add to the first mixture.
    Pour into a greased (BTP works well here) 9x13 pan. Bake at 375ú for about 25 minutes.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Oh, I loved Johnnycake as a kid; Nan made it all the time!
    I think she made it in her cast iron frying pan. Thanks for the memories, Phyllis.

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

Here's another tried and true....this is from MIL of my DD#5

Cherry Bars

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup shortening
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. vanilla
    4 eggs
    Beat until creamy, then on high speed for three minutes

Blend in 3 cups flour. Spread 2/3 in a large greased (again BTP) jelly roll pan. Spread one can cherry pie filling over the batter. Drop the remaining batter, by spoon, over the cherries. Bake at 350ú for about 40-45 minutes. Drizzle with a glaze made of 1 cup powdered sugar, a little milk and 1 tsp. almond extract.

I have used other fruit pie fillings, and it is really good, whatever kind you choose.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

Phyllis, what is BTP?

• angelaid
    10 years ago

Can't remember where I got this. I think it's supposed to be an Olive Garden copycat:

Grilled Chicken and Alfredo Sauce

Serves: 2

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts
    salt and pepper
    2 teaspoon olive oil
    8 ounces dry pasta
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)

Instructions

Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Brush with oil and then season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill 5 to 7 minutes on the first side and then flip the chicken over and grill for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked through.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Prepare the Alfredo sauce by combining the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Do not let the mixture come to a boil, but heat until small bubbles begin to form. Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk quickly. Add the garlic powder and continue to whisk. The sauce will thicken after a minute or two.

Cut the chicken breasts into strips. Serve by placing half the pasta on each plate, then topping it with sauce and a sliced chicken breast.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Mammie, the BTP that Phyllis referenced, is the Better Than Pam coating that is popular here.

I'll post the recipe for anyone who hasn't heard of it. It replaces greasing and flouring baking pans. You just spread this on and pour in your batter, bread dough, etc and bake. It won't turn your non-stick pans all gunky like the spray does.

Better Than Pam Coating

1/2 cup corn, canola or vegetable oil
    1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
    1/2 cup flour

Beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until it has increased in volume slightly and resembles marshmallow cream.
    Store in a covered container in the cupboard. If it separates upon sitting, just stir before using. You can spread it with a brush, but I just scoop it up with my fingers.

• Lee
    10 years ago

JASDIP: regarding your question on salt in the Bittersweet Cocoa Brownies (Fine Cooking) recipe, curiosity led me to a search engine.

Quote from the linked website: "This salt [kosher] is also not the best choice for baking, since the grains will clump in baked goods, rather than separating out and melting into the recipe, as is desired."

Interesting, huh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wise Geek

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Wow, Thunderboltlee, thanks for noodling around for me!!!
    I guess I'd better buy a little container of table salt, just for baking. Weird, I do use kosher salt in my breads, but just a small amount.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

Thanks, jasdip! I knew the letters sounded familiar but couldn't remember what they meant. :)

• stacey_mb
    10 years ago

This is a rich and delicious flourless chocolate cake. The recipe came from a magazine of recipes that became lost during a move.

Chocolate Cloud Cake

8 oz. (250 g.) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    1/2 cup (125 ml.) unsalted butter
    3 eggs
    1 cup (250 g.) granulated sugar
    2 tbsp. (25 ml.) orange liqueur
    1 1/2 tsp. (7 ml.) grated orange rind
    3 egg whites

TOPPING:
    1 1/2 cups (375 ml.) whipping cream
    2 tbsp. (25 ml.) icing sugar
    1/2 tsp. (2 ml.) vanilla

Line bottom of ungreased 8-inch springform pan with waxed paper; set aside.
    In bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with butter, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
    In separate bowl, whisk whole eggs with half of the sugar just until turning pale and starting to thicken; whisk in chocolate mixture, liqueur and orange rind.
    In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tbsp. (25 ml.) at a time, until stiff shiny peaks form. Fold one-quarter into chocolate mixture; fold in remaining whites in two additions.
    Pour into prepared pan. Bake in center of 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is puffed and starting to crack but center still looks wet. Let cool completely in pan on rack (center will fall, leaving higher sides). (Cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days or over-wrapped in foil and frozen for up to 2 weeks.) Run knife around cake to loosen; carefully unmould onto cake plate.

TOPPING: In bowl, whip cream with sugar and vanilla; mound in center of cake, swirling lightly. To serve, cut with wet hot knife. Makes 12 servings.

Tip: If desired, garnish with strips of orange rind or sieve cocoa powder over top.

• stacey_mb
    10 years ago

This recipe is from an old KT recipe site, contributed by nodakgal. It's one of my favorites, delicious and easy.

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Take 15 minutes to toss 7 easy ingredients into a slow cooker, and you'll have a warm and delicious soup to satisfy hungry appetites.

Prep Time:15 min
    Start to Finish:7 hr 45 min
    Makes:8 servings

1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (5 thighs) or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
    1/4 cup fresh or frozen chopped onions
    2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed cream of potato soup
    1 can (14 oz) roasted garlic-seasoned chicken broth
    2 cups fresh or frozen sliced carrots
    1 cup half-and-half

1. Place chicken in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. In large bowl, mix wild rice, onions, soup, broth and carrots; pour over chicken.
    2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
    3. Stir in half-and-half. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 15 to 30 minutes longer or until hot.

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't these sound decadent? I haven't made them yet.

Pecan Pie Muffins

1 c. chopped pecans
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. flour
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the nuts, sugar and flour in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Beat eggs until foamy. Stir together the eggs and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.

Place baking cups in muffin pans and coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter into cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done. Remove from pans immediately. Makes 9.

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was one of my favorite meatless Monday recipes and will be again. Just have to make a salad and heat some garlic toast and you have dinner. Very fast!

Pasta with Olive Oil and Garlic (Cooks.com)

1 lb. spaghetti or vermicelli
    3/4 . virgin olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    4 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
    Freshly grated Paarmesan cheese

In a skillet heat the oil, add the garlic and cook just until garlic begins to color (do not brown garlic). Add salt, pepper and parsley. Stir well and remove from heat immediately. This should only take several seconds. Toss with cooked pasta. Serves 4. You could add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes for color. You can also add shrimp or chicken, if you like.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

This is an oldie in my recipe book.

Banana Cream Brownie Dessert

Ingredients

1 package (13x9-pan size) fudge brownie mix
    1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
    3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped, divided
    3 medium bananas
    1-2/3 cups cold milk
    2 packages (5.1 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
    1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
    Instructions

Prepare brownie batter according to package directions for fudge-like brownies. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup peanuts. Spread into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Makes 12 to 15 servings.

Slice bananas; arrange in a single layer over brownies. Chop the remaining chocolate chips. Sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped chips and 1/4 cup peanuts over bananas. In a mixing bowl, beat the milk and pudding mixes on low speed for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over the top. Sprinkle with remaining chips and peanuts. Refrigerate leftovers.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

And since we have been discussing the meatloaf on another thread thought I would post my own recipe which is not a typical meatloaf but it is very very good.

Saucy stuffed meatloaf:
    3Lbs lean ground beef(can use less meat)
    1/2cup raw oatmeal
    2Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    2Tbs Cajun seasoning (I prefer Tony Chachere)
    2Tbs mustard(yellow)
    4-5 chopped Roma tomatoes(fresh not canned)
    1lg chopped onion(purple if possible)
    1jar RAGU Roasted garlic Parmesan sauce**
    In mixing bowl add meat,oatmeal,worst sauce,seasoning,mustard. Mix well with hands.
    In a large rectangular baking dish spray pam (NOT a loaf pan). Add the meat and form into loaf shape, then make a well down the length in the center of the loaf. In the well add some of the chopped tomatoes and onion. Squeeze the meat closed over the top of the well. Pour remaining tomato and onions around the loaf. Pour the RAGU sauce over it all. You can add a little milk to the jar to"rinse" it and get all out (couple of tablespoons not much don't want to water it down). Bake at 350 for an hour- check for doneness(clear juices). Let cool for 5 min or so then skim off excess oil or soak it up with bread and discard bread.
    *Optional ingredient chopped mushrooms.
    *Optional sprinkle top with grated cheese
    **If you can not find that specific RAGU sauce one of the other white RAGU sauces can be used like the Alfredo, and add garlic.

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those sound good, Raven! Great dessert!!

This recipe would be great to take to a cookout--remember those? After this cold winter, it's nice to look forward to summer recipes. My sister makes these but she uses Italian dressing to marinate hers. They're yummy!

ANTIPASTO SKEWERS (Recipelink)

A slice of hard salami, folded into a triangle
    A slice of deli pepperoni, folded into a triangle
    A cube of provolone
    Black and green olives
    Pieces of tomato (or you can use cherry but they don't absorb the dressing so I don't recommend)
    Red onion slice
    Two pieces of tortellini or other durable pasta

Dressing:

1/2 c. Olive Oil
    1/4 c. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 tbsp. Basil
    1 tbsp. Oregano
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper

I put the skewers in a large tupperware container and pour the dressing over them and let them marinade overnight or at least for several hours, shaking them up often and sometimes I drizzle a little vinegar before serving depending upon how much dressing was absorbed.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Patti that would be a good low carb dish, I can leave off the pasta and add a piece of zucchini or yellow squash. We like that kind of snacker. I have a lb of freshly bought sliced Lebanon bologna sausage which would be great for this.
    It tastes a lot like summer sausage and nothing like bologna lol.
    I am addicted to all the wonderful flavored vinegars so I think I have everything I need.
    My lab report shows how well this Low carb real food diet is working, our blood glucose levels have been amazing. Definitely worth the effort.

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This should be pretty low in carbs, too. I've made this a couple of times and it's pretty good.

Taco-Stuffed Zucchini

2 6" zucchini
    1/2 lb. ground beef (or turkey or pork)
    Taco seasoning (make your own or buy a packet)
    1 Roma tomato, chopped
    1/2 small onion, chopped
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. cheddar cheese, freshly grated

Trim the ends from the zucchini and slice them in half lengthwise. Cut out the insides of the zucchini to form boat shapes. It helps to use a spoon to scrape and smooth out what you can't do with a knife. Roughly chop the zucchini pieces that you have removed.

Brown the meat in a saute pan. Add a little water and the taco seasoning. Add the onions, tomato and zucchini pieces to the pan. Cook until most of the water released from the vegetables has evaporated.

Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the cream cheese. Place the zucchini boats in a baking pan and stuff each one with some of the mixture. Top with grated cheddar. Carefully add about 1/4" of water to the baking dish so the zucchini are sitting directly in the water. This will keep it from drying out while cooking and will result in the vegetable being tender, but not mushy. Bake about 25 minutes at 400 degrees.

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

I'm a big lurker on these posts and I've made many of the recipes posted here. Today I will share a recipe that we make often in our house. I got this recipe from The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004). Oh..and we're not a fan of cucumber, so I leave it out and we don't miss it.

Spinach Salad with Warm Maple Syrup Dressing

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans
    1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, torn, or 12 cups baby spinach
    1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Gouda or Cheddar

Preparation
    1.Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
    2.Toss spinach and cucumber in a salad bowl.
    3.Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
    4.Immediately pour the dressing over the spinach and cucumber. Toss well and sprinkle with cheese and toasted pecans.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Hi vanislegirl88 , glad to see you come out and join in the fun. I love new salad recipes because we now eat a lot of salads.
    Thanks for the recipe!

• suzieque
    10 years ago

I like looking at this thread and save lots of the recipes. My question, though, is whether the recipes are tried and true, in other words, if the poster has made and enjoyed the recipe. To me, that matters.

In my case, I've got many, many recipes and it's easy to find recipes online; I don't need more. My strong interest would be in recipes that someone here has made, perhaps tweaked, and wants to share. It would be good to know that.

But that's just my opinion. Sorry I don't typically post any; I don't have many successes!

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vanislegirl88, so glad to meet you and thanks for posting. I love the sound of the maple dressing. Hope you'll stick around.

Suzieque, some recipes are T&T, some aren't. It isn't a requirement. Some of us (probably a lot) have files of recipes we plan to try, but haven't yet. Sure you can find recipes anyplace on the internet, but I hardly think it's fair of you to comment if we've tried it or not, if you aren't willing to share your recipes. JMO and don't mean to sound as harsh as that probably did. We just love recipes around here!! And you never know when someone will try it before you get around to it and let you know how it tasted.

• patti43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't wait for summer squash to be in season again! This is a new recipe for me, but if there is a topping of Ritz crackers involved, I'm in!! (I will mix them with a little butter since it isn't decadent enough.)

SQUASH CASSEROLE (Add A Pinch)

2 tablespoons butter
    4 cups sliced yellow squash
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 eggs
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons butter (in addition to the two above)
    ü teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    ý teaspoon salt
    ý teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed (I will toss with a little melted butter)

Preheat oven to 350ú F. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet or saute pan over medium-low heat. Add squash and onions and cook until tender.

To a large bowl, add eggs and lightly whisk. Add cheese and milk and whisk into egg until well-combined. Add cooked squash and onions to egg mixture and stir well to combined. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet used to cook squash and onions. Add to squash casserole mixture. Add cayenne pepper, if using, along with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.

Spray a 9ÃÂ13 casserole dish with cooking spray and pour squash casserole mixture into the baking dish. Top evenly with crushed Ritz crackers. Place in preheated oven and bake 45 minutes, or until top has lightly browned and casserole does not âÂÂjiggleâ when the dish is moved.Allow to sit for about 3 minutes before serving. Serves 12.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I love this thread. Whether they are personal favourites or not doesn't matter to me. If I think it looks like something I would like, I'll make it.

• suzieque
    10 years ago

>> but I hardly think it's fair of you to comment if we've tried it or not, if you aren't willing to share your recipes. JMO and don't mean to sound as harsh as that probably did.

Huh. Yes, it did sound harsh and exclusionary. All I did was ask a question and give my opinion, since the OP is concerned about the thread dying. Again - just asking a question. My post was not judgemental or nasty. So I can't ask a question or voice an opinion (clearly identified as such) if I don't post a recipe? Only people that post recipes (any random recipe at all) can offer an opinion on how to keep it going? Ok, then, carry on. Sheesh.

This post was edited by suzieque on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 14:34

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I usually do try to mention if it is a new to me or a long time favorite, but since my brain doesn't always remember to do that it might not be stated. I don't mind if someone asks me about that.
    I think if you find one that is not clear about this then just ask, I can't imagine that anyone would mind answering that question.

I am one that enjoys seeing both new found recipes and long time faves. I quite frequently Google for recipes for the ingredients I have on hand. Doing this I run into some that sounds so good I want to share it. If someone beats me to making it I appreciate their critique and tweaks.

I am sure Patti didn't mean to be taken as rude, she is just not that kind of person.
    Written word doesn't always convey context and emotions.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Okay, just found a recipe on the side of the Costco Chicken Stock box I was breaking down for recycling...
    It caught my interest because it has leeks..not tried and true...but looks to be a valid recipe.

So here's a new one for ya Patti..

Asparagus and Leek Bisque

Serves 6 to 8
    Cooking time 1 hour

Ingredients:
    4 T butter
    1 c leeks, cleaned, thinly sliced, white part only
    3 lbs fresh asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1" pieces
    1/4 t white pepper
    3 T flour
    1 qt Chicken Stock
    1/2 c sherry
    2 c heavy cream
    1 t salt, to taste

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and saute until softened, about 4 min. Add asparagus and pepper. Saute another 4 min. Add flour and saute until mixture begins to bubble and just starts to toast lightly. Gradually stir in stock until smooth. Add sherry. Simmer until asparagus is tender, about 20-25 min. Remove pan from heat. Transfer soup in small batches to blender and puree until smooth. Return soup to pan to heat. Add cream and stir until just heated through. Do not boil. Serve immediately.
    Variation: Add crab to the soup with cream.

• luckygardnr
    10 years ago

Amen

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I just got this one in e-mail. It sounds quick and easy and good to me. Of course, since I just got it, it is not tried and trie (T&T). I will half the recipe when I make it for testing.

As I am getting older, I like easy, simple recipes.

Apple Nut Ring

2 8 oz. refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 Tbl cinnamon
    1 stick butter, melted
    2 med. granny smith apples
    1/3 cup chopped nuts

Separate the biscuits into 20 biscuits. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip biscuits into melted butter, then roll in sugar mixture. Arrange biscuits in a pie plate.

Peel, core and slice 2 apples into thin slices using your apple peeler corer or use your knife. Cut your slices in half. Place an apple slice between each biscuit and place apple slices all around the outer edge of the deep dish. Mix nuts with remaining sugar mixture and pour over all.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 min. Makes 20 rolls

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

That spinach salad dressing does sound great,
    I make one very similar but use brown sugar and balsamic.
    I would much rather use the maple syrup.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I use Redmond Real salt for every thing.
    I replace it in recipes measurement for measurement for kosher. Which I guess technically gives me more salt since I use the fine..but, I have never noticed my recipes tasting saltier than when I did use kosher for most everything.