My very first Canadian Bacon : )

2nd Photos for Uploading · More Info

Above: ¼ of the smoked pork loin

Comments (42)

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

GW Cooking forum (and I am talking about you all!) has opened so many culinary doors for me; new techniques, new flavors, new ingredients, new recipes…

I never knew one could ‘make’ Canadian Bacon until I read bcskye/Madonna’s post on her smoker and she referenced Annie1992’s Canadian Bacon. Annie kindly posted the recipe and ever since I’ve wanted to try it.

Armed with a pork loin, some Prague curing salt #1, a gas grill, a smoker pellet tube, and applewood pellets I finally got around to it!

I used the recipe Annie recommended: Michael Rhulman’s Canadian Bacon and proceeded to brine for 3 days (I cut the loin into 3 manageable pieces, leaving only a little fat). It sat in the fridge another 2 days, dry-aging as I didn’t have time to smoke it. Not knowing if a smoker pellet tube would work, I smoked over indirect heat, keeping the grill at 200 – 220F, and aimed for an internal temp of 150 F. I used Ann_T’s clever method of covering the smoke tube and meat with foil, to better infuse with smoke. I used a remote thermometer as recommended by Lars to watch the grill temp and internal loin temps.

1/4 of the loin just off the grill.

The results were fantastic! Far better than the store-bought stuff, with a deliciously intense smoke flavor.

I sliced (by hand) thicker cuts, as well as some thinner in hopes of using it for Hawaiian pizzas later, and some just chopped for adding to veg and salads. Ready to freeze and enjoy all year… or as long as it lasts!

So the answer to my question, can one successfully make (and smoke) Canadian Bacon on a gas grill using only a pellet tube is a resounding “yes” accompanied by a very loud “yay”! DH was pretty happy about it, too : )

Breakfast for dinner with scrambled eggs/crème fraiche and chives, hash browns:

And another breakfast for dinner – Eggs Benedict with sautéed onions and spinach:

I’m wondering if others have made Canadian Bacon, either on your smokers or grills? Any other hot-smoked meats you like? I’m thinking of attempting corned beef and pastrami someday also! Do you have favorite recipes you’d like to share?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

My gosh, I can't believe you're doing all these things in the middle of a renovation!

2ManyDiversions thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Related Discussions

UPDATE: WoW Thanks! I wanted that! #9

Q

Comments (149)
    Morning all! Fran, I put in a bit more postage than what it was for me to mail my package to you. I don't think that I'll get back what I sent because we have a lot of veggie growers here, BUT if by chanace you dont have enough postage I'd be happy to send more if you need it to get my package back to me. I'm so glad that I bought the veggie seeds, I could almost hear how excited people were when I offered them up for grabs! Thank you to anyone who sent flowers in for me, I assure you that every single seed will find a good home. Lisa
    ...See More

Canadian bacon in the smoker

Q

Comments (9)
    Finally getting back to the Canadian Bacon. annie I did follow thru...ordered the book "Charcuterie" by Chefs Polsyn and Ruhlman. Found it very interesting. Interesting enough we first cured and smoke one pork loins cut in half. Turned out so tasty and by the time 3 kids and families visited we had not enough left to freeze. This past week we did two whole loins cut in half giving us 4 pieces. Again they are so good and enough for each kid and families to have a meal and plenty to freeze. Next a try at Peameal bacon and the Spicy Dry Rub loin. Oh yes did want to mention the book I received was the revised and updated verison. Our smoker setup on first try our first loins done Our second smoking session done And the best part of all.... time to enjoy
    ...See More

Mmmm bacon

Q

Comments (20)
    The temp setting depends on the bacon and your individual oven. My upper oven I set at 350, my lower oven 360. Oddly enough, they were both checked by a tech a few years back who pronounced the temperature settings accurate. I'm a bit of perfectionist when it comes to bacon (an undercooked piece of bacon is a terrible thing to waste), so I rotate the pans once or twice, pull them out and sometimes flip individual pieces, and pull out pieces that finish cooking sooner as they don't all brown at the same rate. I do 4 pans in one batch which contributes to the uneven cooking. I've tried both convection and non-convection, and decided I prefer cooking bacon without convection.
    ...See More

Canadian Bacon, fresh from the smoker

Q

Comments (55)
    Madonna, since it's only in the brine for 3 days/72 hours, and that's in the refrigerator, then sits still refrigerated for another handful of hours, I am comfortable not using the "cure", I just leave it out and otherwise follow the recipe. I'm also diligent about slicing and freezing the meat promptly after it's smoked. I found some other people on a couple of smoking forums that said they left out the pink salt and had good results, so I went ahead. Good luck! Annie
    ...See More
  • fawnridge (Ricky)
    5 years ago

Wow! That looks awesome.

2ManyDiversions thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • bcskye
    5 years ago

Congrats! I've planned on making Canadian bacon and Peameal bacon many times, but every time the pork gets used for other recipes. Annie was the one that inspired me and now you've sparked the interest again. Let's see, I have next Tuesday off and the following weekend. Today is tons of peach purée and Annie's salsa.

2ManyDiversions thanked bcskye
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

writersbock... You made me laugh so hard! Neither can I! The making of it wasn't nearly so difficult as the resulting meals though - that's becoming a real pain with so little prep space, and not being able to operate more than one appliance at a time is the worst! LOL!

Aw, thank you so much Ricky! Coming from The Smoke Master, that's so nice of you : ) I also want to try your Jerk Chicken rub - though it won't be the same w/o a real smoker, I think I can do ok with the grill for us : )

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bsckye, don't tell me that! Ok... I'm coming with packets of CB, and you have some peach puree and salsa ready for me! We'll have our own little oddball feast of it all! LOL!

I'm excited to hear how the peameal bacon tastes or differs - are you using ground peas or cornmeal do you think?

ETA: bsckye, I almost did that, but the pork loin was huge, so the chops I removed from it didn't put too much a dent in it!

My only real problem was the wind and keeping the grill temp low enough. I had to keep running outside (thank goodness for that remote thermometer!) to adjust the temps as the wind blew. Wind finally died down toward the end, but then the day turned hot and keeping low temps was the 2nd chore : ) I didn't know if I should leave any fat on at all, but glad I did as it smoked up crispy and good.

Sure is a world of difference between this and the pre-packed, pre-injected Hormel Canadian Bacon I'd bought a couple times : )

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Like writersblock I can't believe what you can do without a real kitchen. Can wait to see what all you do once your new kitchen is done!

2ManyDiversions thanked cookebook
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ha, tell me about it cookebook! And thank you : )

I am so looking forward to having a sink again (using the utility sink for reno and dishes is not enjoyable) - and no more running back and forth to wash my hands. What I'd give for an oven and cooktop! I can't wait to bake bread again... there's so much I want to cook but just can't.

OTOH, this has been one of the best cooking experiences for me - primarily because of the inspiration, information, help, and shared recipes here on GW Cooking. I've had to learn new cooking techniques (like sous vide is a hardship? I think not! And pressure cooking, steam cooking, with the Instant Pot!) - it's all been quite the crash course! But I've learned so much! Even my grilling has improved by leaps and bounds - all because of everyone here : )

Honestly, this has been the absolute best forum I've ever been a part of, and all the people here are just so incredibly nice. I owe everyone a huge "Thank You!"

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, that looks just perfect. And you are right, the Canadian Bacon we make ourselves is much different than the stuff at the store. Now, peameal bacon? I use cornmeal for mine, I was just happy I found out how to do it. I have family that lives north of Toronto and it doesn't seem that anywhere else in the world has peameal bacon, it's a regional speciality. So, I'd have it when I visited family, but no other time. Now I just make it and have it whenever I want it!

I also make corned beef, more often I make corned venison because I'm not overly fond of those venison roasts, but corn them and they are wonderful. I defy anyone to tell me the difference between the venison and the beef after it's been corned.

The real thanks goes to Larry Englehardt. His wife, Janet, was a member here until she passed away. Being a Michigan girl, of course, Janet and I became friends, she and Larry lived in Southeastern Michigan. They actually ate at the restaurant that belonged to Brian Polsyn, one of the authors of the book "Charcuterie. That book was a gift to me from Larry, and it's become one of the most used books in my cookbook library.

So thank you Larry, and by extension, thank you Janet, for expanding my own food preparation horizons.

Annie

2ManyDiversions thanked annie1992
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I admit, I am looking forward to homemade corned beef!

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Peameal bacon is my favourite. You can find it anywhere in Ontario and probably some of the other provinces. But not in BC. Peameal uses the same cut of pork, the loin, but it is brined rather than smoked. I would kill (almost) for a local supplier for peameal bacon.

Since Canadian Back bacon is really common here, I've never made it. BUT, I have that same pellet smoker as you do 2ManyDiversions, so now I'm really tempted.

Approximately how long did it take to reach the 150°F temp?

2ManyDiversions thanked ann_t
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, that does it, now I gotta try peameal too! In looking at Rhulman's recipe, apparently he uses the same brine and time for peameal, but leaves out the smoking step. Just rolls it in cornmeal and saute's or grills it. Is this correct?

Ann, it took only 2 1/2 hours to reach 150 F, and I was careful to keep the grill temp at about 200-220 F (aimed for 200 for the most part but it got hot that day!). Remember to use your trick of covering the meat and smoker tube with foil - so much better! I know you like to grill in the morning - I started mine early as well.

Also, I cut my loin into smaller sections, partially for the brine, etc., to fit in the fridge, but also because I felt smaller sections would get more smoke. That little bit of fat I left on... crisped beautifully and was full of smoke : )

I'm thinking if I'd not dry aged it for a couple days, but instead for 4 hours or so only, the smoke would've been even more intense. I'm finding the wetter the better to pull and hold in smoke. I even wet salt when smoking it.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, I do use the same brine for peameal bacon as I do for the Canadian bacon, while skipping the smoking step. Then I slice it and vacuum pack it into individual packages and just take one out of the freezer when I want it.

AnnT, it's really easy, just several days of brining, then rolling in cornmeal, slicing and packaging, there's nothing very involved and not a lot of exotic ingredients.

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

Looks amazing. Good for you to take newly learned methods and run with it....the shrink-dink food saver and the smoking. The more 'arsenals' you have at your disposal, ...familiar and do become second nature, the options are limitless for good meals quick, healthy, and varietal.

My smoked ham packets look just like yours. l still have a couple packets and will smoke more in September/October for the winter months. I use them in frittatas, quiche, bean soups, baby grilled ham and cheese with tomato soup.

We are about 10% meats now...that keeps shrinking but have no plans to give up good seafood and pork and beef...just smaller portions, good quality. Even just a shared 2ounce in a veg dish gives so much flavor. DH is satisfied. : )

2ManyDiversions thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

Oh wow 2Many, that looks fabulous! Since I'm also Canadian, I have to call it back bacon though. :) Annie is right about peameal bacon, it definitely is a regional thing. I hadn't heard of it prior to moving to Toronto from Manitoba almost 20 years ago, and I've never seen it in the stores there when I've been back.

2ManyDiversions thanked sherri1058
  • bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

2MD

where did you find your pink curing salt? I had to order mine from online ...it was MUCH less expensive than the billy sonoma store

2ManyDiversions thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie, thank you for confirming the difference between Canadian Bacon (er, I mean back bacon!) and peameal. Ann, Annie’s right, not a lot of work at all, and the smoke flavor is truly amazing with the pellet tube you have if you make the smoked version.

Thank you Sleevendog : ) Yes, I can vacuum seal in no time flat now (ha ha!), and as many previously mentioned in threads on Food Savers – wish I’d gotten one years ago. I can freeze and store in the freezer far more, and it’s much neater (not to mention nothing gets nasty thus far!). I do double seal. Being able to pull something out quickly to thaw has been a tremendous time-saver – (not to mention pre-sous viding proteins. Now that’s my real time-saver!). I remain grateful for your guidance on that.

Sherri, your comment made me laugh and gave me a good dose of happy nostalgia! I remember the comedy duo Bob and Doug McKenzie (Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) which my best friend and I had many laughs over some decades ago – and I always wondered what the heck back bacon was, eh? And what is a tuque, eh? So now I know… Beauty, eh?! So, Good Day!

Bragu, I couldn’t find pink curing salt locally – even at our few kitchen specialty stores, so I waited until I had a larger order on Amazon (to save shipping) and got mine there. Hoosier Hill Farm Prague Powder Curing Salt #1. Given DH’s propensity to eat anything lying around, I wrote TOXIC on it in big letters (I had visions of him seeing ‘salt’ and pouring it on something – the man needs to cut back too). He saw that and asked why it was in the kitchen. I had some explaining to do : )

I made a quick meal with kale, northern beans, onions, stock, and Canadian bacon... (back bacon..!) the other evening. I mostly winged it after seeing a similar recipe online. The flavor the of smoky Canadian bacon made the whole dish delicious and DH ate two helpings.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

Nice Canadian bacon!

Going to rent the movie Canadian Bacon. I was told that it's an interesting movie.

dcarch

2ManyDiversions thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • ann_t
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions, I can't tell you how many times I've come back to look at your back bacon. Definitely going to give this a try next week.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

OK, the pink curing salt has arrived. Time to go get a pork loin ... and begin the countdown ... to bacon, eh

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chickadee, I used everything but the sage as it died this spring and I never replanted it. So yes, I used thyme and lemon, as well as all the other ingredients minus the sage : )

I mixed my brine in a large (large!) bowl, then stirred well, then poured it into a ziplock big bag, then added the raw pork loin (trimmed with most fat, leaving a bit on one side). I tried to get all the air out of the bag, then placed the bag in a large bowl (in case of leaks) and into the fridge. I turned the bag over twice each day, but once probably would've been fine.

Wow! 3 more people making back bacon, eh? Beauty! (sorry, that's probably not even Canadian-speak, but only what I remember of the Great White North comedy routine) LOL! I wish you all - Ann, Bragu, and Chickadee as much luck as I had - and yes, again it's truly easy!

Please report back! I'd love to hear (and I'm positive others would as well) as to your experiences and impressions.

Hope you enjoy the movie dcarch - I've not seen it yet : )

If I hadn't made 3 recent recipes using Canadian Bacon, I'd soon prepare a simple dinner of Hawaiian grilled Canadian Bacon and melted provolone cheese sandwiches - and I'd definitely use pineapple in mine :) DH would not want pineapple.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chickadee, I used everything but the sage as it died this spring and I never replanted it. So yes, I used thyme and lemon, as well as all the other ingredients minus the sage : )

I mixed my brine in a large (large!) bowl, then stirred well, then poured it into a ziplock big bag, then added the raw pork loin (trimmed with most fat, leaving a bit on one side). I tried to get all the air out of the bag, then placed the bag in a large bowl (in case of leaks) and into the fridge. I turned the bag over twice each day, but once probably would've been fine.

Wow! 3 more people making back bacon, eh? Beauty! (sorry, that's probably not even Canadian-speak, but only what I remember of the Great White North comedy routine) LOL! I wish you all - Ann, Bragu, and Chickadee as much luck as I had - and yes, again, it's truly easy!

Please report back! I'd love to hear (and I'm positive others would as well) as to your experiences and impressions.

Hope you enjoy the movie dcarch - I've not seen it yet : )

If I hadn't made 3 recent recipes using Canadian Bacon, I'd soon prepare a simple dinner of Hawaiian grilled Canadian Bacon and melted provolone cheese sandwiches - and I'd definitely use pineapple in mine :) DH would not want pineapple.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions did you use the sodium nitrite in your brine?

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann, yes, that's the pink curing salt #1 I linked to above. (#2 is for dry curing). The dye in the salt is so one doesn't accidentally use it as normal salt, and also gives a slight pink tinge to the brined meat. Just rinse the pork after your brine, not excessively, there's not enough in the brine to harm.

ETA: Smoking adds more pink/color to the final product.

• ann_t
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions, Thanks. I was having trouble finding it locally but a wonderful little specialty shop called Cure Artisan Meats and Cheese, will sell me 50gs for $1.00. Stopping there on my way home tonight to pick up.

• chickadee2_gw
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions, thank you for all the info. Looks like I’ve got some shopping to do.

2ManyDiversions thanked chickadee2_gw
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann, sure wish I could have gone with you to the Artisan Meats and Cheeses shop - I bet they have some lovely cured meats! We've nothing like that close to us. That was very generous of them.

Good luck Chickadee : ) Nice thing about the curing salt (be sure it's #1, not #2 for this purpose) is it'll last so you can make back bacon again and again as needed.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

AnnT, that sounds like an interesting little shop. Here I have to get it on line from Detroit Butcher and Packer (who are very nice, BTW), or see if one of the very few actual butchers will sell it to me.

Here I'm not making Canadian Bacon, but I have corned beef curing in the refrigerator for tomorrow's dinner. I used to say it was just too much time for the end product, but the price of corned beef went up enough that now I think it's worth it again. I checked at the store, $7.99 a pound for corned beef. Nope, I'm back to making my own. Plus, a venison roast makes really good corned "beef", since I'm not so wild about venison roast. Healthy, organic and low in fat, but definitely not my favorite cut, but it's great corned.

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie, when I first saw the Canadian Bacon recipe, I also looked for corned beef... I could not believe how it was also made, and the cost compared to buying pre-made - our pre-made corned beef has skyrocketed in price also. I cringed this year when I bought it.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, the "hardest" thing about corned beef is finding space to keep it in the refrigerator for several days while it cures. I finally broke down and bought suitable sized and shaped containers, which makes it somewhat less an egregious use of space.

But yes, it's expensive, and I guess only because it can be. I used to be able to buy corned beef in March for St. Pat's for less than $2.00 a pound, but not any more. And that was the good flat part, not the fattier "point" portion. (shakes head) My daughter used to buy several and use them for corned beef hash through out the year, we all like hash better than the corned beef itself.

I'm not a regular consumer of commercial beef anyway, so it's just as well that I make my own....

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie, while on the topic, you've made the pastrami tasting corned beef, right? Can that be used for a corned beef sandwich? DH and I do love corned beef, and before packing the kitchen but after I get that much needed room in the fridge you mentioned (the canadian bacon took up room brining also), I'd like to make one or the other to freeze now for easy sandwiches or something to thaw and just nibble on.

(Who am I kidding? We'd probably just eat most of it right away!)

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, Elery and I have made the pastrami, starting with corned beef. I'm in charge of the brining and Elery is in charge of the smoking. I crushed fresh black peppercorns and some coriander seeds for a rub before the meat was smoked. It was pretty good, and I'm sure it would freeze just fine, although we just ate it. Yeah, that happens. (grin)

Annie

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

BRINING ...

• annie1992
    5 years ago

bragu, I'm sure you are going to like it, whatever you are brining. Pork? Beef? Venison? All of the above? Not tofu, probably......

Annie

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

two monster pork loins, cut in thirds ... then am going to smoke it in my new smoker. I've been rotating the zip bags daily. It's supposed to be for a gang Saturday Soup & Sammy feed

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm so excited for you!!! That's what I did, cut mine in thirds for easier brining and better smoke flavor! Wow, 2 pork loins - you'll have leftovers even with a croud (and leftover Canadian Bacon is a good thing!). Can't wait to hear how you like it! Remember, Canadian Bacon is salty, so keep other salt content down to compensate : )

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Yum, bragu, that sounds delicious. You may not have as much leftover as you think you might, and it freezes very nicely, just in case.

Have fun! Here I'm making hot pepper relish, that would go nicely with your pork loin!

Annie

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

Well, mine turned out to taste like Black Forest ham ... with a wonderful Smokey flavor; two massive pork loins cut in thirds, and brined for 4 days. Will do it again. Rave reviews from the peanut gallery of about 30 guys. They made sub sandwiches out of it ... thin sliced with stacks of meat per Sammy. Need to find what to add to the brine to closer approximate Canadian bacon. Didn't have thyme so that might be it. I used powdered bay leaves instead of intact leaves.

Next I am going to try an old bay mix with the curing salt ....

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bragu, I'm completely stymied! Mine tasted like Canadian Bacon, no doubts, although when I added some to some kale and northern beans for a thick soup I thought it made a good sub for ham. Nothing like Black Forest Ham though - and I love that!

I don't think the fresh thyme will make much difference. I'm thinking since you said you fed 30 guys (mine would never have!) perhaps you had a truly huge loin and maybe the brine didn't become as intense? Perhaps try a smaller loin and still cut it up to brine?

Sure would love to know how you got that black forest ham flavor! Sounds like you had quite the smoking going on, and happy to hear all enjoyed it!

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

Had two loins, about 9 lbs each ... cut in thirds. I did NOT use the optional SAGE either and am guessing that would have helped. I Did take two of the hunks and sliced it thin (borrowed a meat slicer) into 20 zip bags with 16 slices each for the lads to take home ... figuring it would be enough for 8 nice Sammies (if they shared) or four tasty subs ...

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Hmmm. Mine has always tasted like Canadian Bacon too, and never like Black Forest ham. Too bad, the kids would LOVE that!

Right now I have beef "corning" in some brine, maybe next week I'll break down and do more Canadian Bacon. More likely Peameal Bacon, as we have CB left but none of the peameal (which is just the Canadian Bacon cured, but not smoked).

I'll bet your made some darned fine subs, though!

Annie