SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

Mmmm bacon

chiefneil
11 years ago

People sometimes ask me if I like to cook when they hear about something I made recently. I always reply, "Not really, but I like to eat."

Below are a couple of examples of things I made this weekend that exemplify what I'm talking about. I'm not so much excited about the process of making them, but OMG the end results are worth it. Sadly, the Chief must now do double-duty on the treadmill.

First up, maple-glazed bacon! This is center-cut bacon, baked until nice and crisp. I then coat one side with a glaze made with maple syrup and white wine vinegar (red wine vinegar also works well). I coat only one side of the bacon as doing both sides is a bit overpowering, but ymmw. Crisp, crumbly, salty, sweet, and sour all in one bite. I could eat this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

What's the only thing in the entire world that can make bacon better? Chocolate!!! It was DW's bday this weekend so I made some truffles with Guittard chocolate and mixed in some of the maple-glazed bacon pictured above. Top with flaky sea salt and you're looking at a lot of time on the treadmill. I think they're better than anything from Godiva, but I'm a little bit biased.

And the obligatory kitchen content so this isn't too far off topic. Sometimes people on this board ask about how big an island should be, or do you really use your island, or how much space you really need? Here's a photo of the island with some of the materials gathered up. It's a big island but I manage to use most it.

Comments (20)