SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Christmas Eve Dinner Recap

moosemac
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. Dinner was a huge success.

Below is the final menu. The one fail was the veal consommé, too bland. The two favorites were the scallops (actually the grapefruit buerre blanc) and the ravioli. The only glitch in timing was I forgot to soften the lemon sorbet! Also I made a new discovery; I prepared the apples and pears the day before and vacuum sealed them. They stayed nice and white.

I don’t claim to have knowledge of wines, I just serve what I think we might like. Thanks to the staff at the NH State Liquor Store, we didn’t have a dud in the bunch.

I prepped ahead as much as I could for example: The day before, the scallops were seared, slightly under cooked. When the salad was served, the scallops were placed in the warm buerre blanc and the pan was covered. I did not turn the scallops so the seared presentation side was preserved. By the time the salads were consumed, the scallops were perfectly cooked and ready to be plated. The duck breast was seared rare, sliced but kept in shape then sous vide to a perfect medium rare. This allowed me to hold it and the only slightly overcooked slices were the outside ones. Orange leek puree was made ahead and heated at the last minute while the ravioli course was being consumed.

DD & DS served and cleared while I plated. Everything went smoothly and I got to spend plenty of time with our guests.

I commented to my husband that this dinner had me using almost every kitchen gadget he has ever gifted me. LOL

Veal Consommé with Fresh Herbs - 2015 Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

Assorted Baby Lettuces, Pecans, Granny Smith Apple, Manchego & Apple Vinaigrette - 2016 Les Boucauds, Claude Riffault, Sancerre, France

Seared Scallops, Grapefruit Buerre Blanc - 2015 G. Metz, Melody, Pinot Gris, France

Herb Ricotta Ravioli, Fresh Tomato Sauce - 2014 Iron Horse Vineyards, Unoaked Chardonnay, Russian River, California

Seared Duck Breast with Orange Leek Puree - 2012 Iron Horse Vineyards, Pinot Noir, Russian River, California

Intermezzo - Lemon Sorbet

Prime Rib of Beef, Garlic Rosemary Baby Potatoes, Panko Parmesan Broccoli, Sautéed Mushroom Medley - 2013 Gerard Bertrand Languedoc Syrah/Grenache, France

Chocolate Crème Brûlée - Le Contesse Prosecco DOC, Italy

Assorted Fruits (Sliced Pears & Green Grapes) & Cheeses (Hannabell’s- Button de Culotte, Bell & Goose – Caerphilly and a Clochette goat cheese) - Lustau Amontillado Los Arcos Jerez-Xeres Sherry, Spain

Happy New Year!

Comments (9)