SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Christmas Eve dinner; what would you add?

caroline94535
12 years ago

I will be hosting a Christmas Eve taco buffet dinner. Let me know if there are any toppings you'd include, or delete.

I'm trying to be "organized" this year to leave time and energy to enjoy Christmas. Is there any streamlining you can add to my prep?

On the 23rd:

+ Brown and season ground beef, ground turkey, and firm tofu. (Each item will be served separately of course.)

+ Make fresh guacamole.

+ Dice & slice - Tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, green onions, jalapeno peppers, and black olives.

+ Set up the buffet server (a cloth covered 24x60 folding table) in the living room. Arrange serving utensils and decorations.

I'll be adding jarred salsas, along with black beans, re-fried beans, sour cream, shredded cheese, and whole kernel corn just before serving time. Someone else is bringing deserts.

+ Set dining table. Cover everything with a big tablecloth to keep it nice until dinner time.

On Christmas Eve Day...

The pre-chopped and chilled toppings will be presented in bowls lined with curly-leaf lettuce. The bowls will be on serving trays.

+ Make hot tea.

+ Broil fresh squash. (Gotta have a 'real' veggie.)

+ Nuke the containers of meats; put the bean dishes in the oven and call it good.

+ Ask someone to put ice in the goblets and pour the drinks. I'll offer hot tea, iced tea, coke, water, and milk. Some people may bring spirits.

+ Set up iron griddle to warm tortillas and taco shells as needed.

Even the picky eaters should find something they like. I'll be in the corner with the guacamole just daring anyone to come close!

Most of the leftovers (it sounds like a lot of food, but I'm preparing smaller quantities of each item) will go into a stock pot and be morphed into a yummy taco soup for Christmas Day.

Dinner shouldn't get any easier than this.

- - - - - - -

My Christmas Eve Taco Dinners are served in loving memory of my dear friend, Susie. She began this tradition about 20 years ago to counter-act "far too many turkey and ham dinners during December" while feeding a big crowd of close, extended, and almost family members, in-laws, out-laws, and anyone 'just passing by', while making time to enjoy herself too.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comments (18)