SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Irish Hope....what a remarkable rose!

Irish Hope, Harkness (1998), 48" X 24" moderate fragrance in my garden, 3.5" blooms. Listed as a floribunda (cluster bloomer it is), but at 4+' tall by summer's end I think it is a grandiflora.

This remarkable rose was purchased as a liner, on a whimsical lark, 4 years ago from the much 'discussed,' Heirloom Roses. I liked its photo at HR, and was further wowed by Irish Hope when I checked out the photos of it at HMFR (take a look).

It was unimpressive for its first two years....grew slowly, bloomed sparsely, black spotted with the best of them, and struggled through winter even well protected.

Last year it perked up and started to produce nice basals. It started to show some spunk, and I'm glad it did because I was contemplating shovel pruning it.

This year it has been a star in my garden. The flowers (ivory with light yellow centers), are beautiful, moderately cupped in the English rose style, but without densely petaled, quartered centers, a bit small, 3.5", not strongly fragrant, but adequate. It has gotten considerably stronger in fighting black spot in my garden. Vicious thorns are its liability, but it is stiff straight upright, and canes do not reach out and attack you, just don't get too close.

Most of the blooms are held horizontally, no nodding, downward curved necks at all.

It's main attributes are: dark green foliage; rebar stiff stems...almost the most vertical rose you can find; tall and straight, but visibly husky, not skinny and leggy; and beautiful, fragrant blooms with none of the Austin nodding problems.

Irish Hope is an excellent back of the border rose because you will see the blooms. After the wind and rains its flowers will be straight upright. It is a very narrow bush, only 24" wide and 4+ feet high.

Make sure you view the blooms shown for Irish Hope on HMFR. You will be impressed.

Moses

Comments (14)