SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_perry_gw

Some San Jose Heritage Rose Garden mysteries

jill_perry_gw
7 years ago

I found "Coulterville Yellow" on Main St. there, and can't even figure out what class of roses it belongs to. Very shiny foliage, red pistils, bronzy new leaves. "Irish Tea-Noisette" is from a Sierra Foothills cemetery. The pink probable tea was purchased but the label became illegible. It was possibly bought at one of the Sacramento Cemetery's Open Gardens sales some years ago.

Coulterville:

Irish TN:

Pink:

Comments (41)

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

I love the "Coulterville Yellow". What shining foliage it has. The 'Irish Tea Noisette" is very nice also. Any chance of these making their way into commerce in the future?

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Jill, is there any perceptible scent from the new growth, ovaries, peduncles and sepals of Coulterville? The foliage and flower color are from Foetida. If you can smell the "Juicy Fruit Gum" scent to any of the growth and flowering parts, it should point toward something early. If there isn't that type of scent from those parts, it's more likely a later Pernetiana/HT. Does it climb or is it more of a bush?

• Related Discussions

San Jose Heritage Rose Garden

Q

Comments (3)
    Krista, I'm so glad you got to visit this beautiful garden. I haven't been so lucky yet and so doubly appreciate the pictures people are kind enough to post. I think you're right about the first picture being Duchesse de Brabant. It's a really lovely bush. The one you've labeled "Tea Rose" looks quite a bit like Mrs. B.R. Cant, although smaller than a mature bush. Thanks for posting! Ingrid
    ...See More

San Jose Heritage Rose Garden- Oct 10 planning meeting

Q

Comments (3)
    Here's the meeting agenda, so you can all get your 2 cents worth in. Even if you can't be at the planning meeting, we'd love to hear your ideas: 1. the date. Has to be between the middle of Sept. and middle of Oct. Any earlier and it's too hot, any later and it might rain. But I don't want to conflict with other rose events (which is the whole reason to hold it in the fall). And I want it to be on a date that it can always be, like 'the second Saturday in October' or 'the last Saturday in September'. If you know of standing ARS events the might compete, let me know. 2. Plants to sell. We'll need volunteers to propagate them. We'll need to decide which of our rare varieties are most important to grow for sale. Recommendations welcome. 3. Workshops. I'd like to have some hands-on workshops, charging a small fee to participants to cover the workshop leader's costs.What would you like to have a workshop to learn to do? Who would you like to take a workshop from? Also talks and demonstrations- any topic ideas? Someone has already mentioned "Roses in the Landscape Garden". 4. Vendors. Do we want to have vendors, and if so, what kind? Just rose vendors or all gardening type vendors? 5. Any other ideas we should consider?
    ...See More

Open Garden Day, San Jose Heritage Rose Garden

Q

Comments (4)
    I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was good to see friends, hear talks, buy roses, and admire the garden. I found it to be noticeably healthier than in times past. They have been working on the soil and it really shows. Rosefolly
    ...See More

San Jose Heritage Rose Garden talk notes

Q

Comments (1)
    Thank you, Jill! Kim
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Could the pink one be 'Rainbow'? The weak stems seem to indicate a tea rose.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought of that when I saw the stripes on those three outer petals, but it seems to only be on those. I've seen another tea with a distinctive bend in the pedicel like this one has, but I can't remember which it was. I'm hoping someone will notice that and remember another tea like that.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kim, it'll be a couple weeks before I can check scents. The foliage shape and color looks nothing like foetida to me, though the persistent yellow color may well be from that. Do you know any species with a bunch of red pistils like this has?

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Banksiae, for one, but this isn't related to nor bred from Banksiae. What I see from the foliage texture, gloss, shape and color, and the flower petal coloring is a Foetida massaged Tea hybrid/Hybrid Tea. The part that throws me off are the yellow stamen. For something like a Doubloons or Golden Showers, they should be red. For most of the Foetida-based Tea hybrids, they were usually red.

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

Under wild guesses department, might 'Sungold' from Capt. Thomas be a possibility for the "Coulterville Yellow"?

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6040

One parent is a Pernetiana, 'Souvenir de Claudius Pernet',. Pix of that rose do show the shiny foliage and yellow stamens.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think you're right that 'Souvenir de Claudius Pernet' is a good starting place for the foliage and yellow color. Coulterville Yellow doesn't look like a hybrid tea, though, more like a hybrid musk or shrub. I'm also not sure if there is rebloom. There are so many descendants of 'Souvenir de Claudius Pernet' to look at!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I wonder if the yellow one could be Lawrence Johnston. It looks very similar to that rose.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They would be related through the foetida ancestor, but LJ doesn't have red pistils, and CY doesn't climb. I looked to see if LJ had descendants, but there are none listed.

• Jill Perry
    7 years ago

I came across another photo of the bloom on "Coulterville Yellow". It's a much better view of the pistils and stamens.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    7 years ago

Have you looked at 'Poulsen's Yellow' as a possibility?

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4935

:-)

~Christopher

• ksgreenman
    7 years ago

How about Cläre Grammerstorf? I was looking her up for a possible order from Burlington.,

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.89801

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Good guess, but Clare has red stamen. Coulterville, doesn't.

• jerijen
    7 years ago

Poulsen's Yellow sure does strike a resemblance.

I'd wondered about Golden Showers, but no . . . The Poulsen's Yellow, though . . .

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The color of the pistils and stamens are the problem with most suggestions- I really don't know of any rose with red pistils and yellow stamens. The neatly cupped semi-double form is another issue- none of the suggested roses have it. Any ideas about Irish Tea Noisette? It may well be a Dijon Tea, but is a paler yellow than any I've seen pictures of so far.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Could that yellow be a much more recent rose? the petal form in your last photo (as well as the leaves and new growth) remind me of Golden Holstein.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

According to HMF, 'Poulsen's Yellow' is at the SJHRG, so you could compare it directly. And if you ever get to propagating PY, I'd love it if one were to make its way here, hint-hint. It's not carried by any US nursery.

;-)

~Christopher

• roseseek
    7 years ago

BTW, Chris, Poulsen's Yellow is another fertile triploid... something which may prove useful in breeding difficult types. Well worth investigating...

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    7 years ago

Yes, I wanted it for that reason. Plus it's early and one of the few Yellows without HT in it. And no one carries it anymore.

:-/

~Christopher

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did look at Poulsen's Yellow at the Heritage, but again, red stamens and yellow pistils, as with most other yellows, instead of red pistils and yellow stamens. I took more pictures of "Coulterville Yellow, showing details of leaves, leaf reverse, bracts and buds, and those red pistils.

• User
    7 years ago

I don't recognize Coulterville, but the final pics you posted, Jill, makes me think of Crepuscule, and R. wichurana, and R. bracteata. Its got a bit of "Tea droop" to its foliage, and yet the first of the four recent pics screams bracteata hybrid, architecture-wise. But, but..... that foliage gloss is so very wichurana......

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I took another look at Coulterville Yellow. It's thornless! I hear that the owner of the original plant only planted it 15 years ago. The only scent I detected was some spice on the stands. Here are pictures of one bloom that had more than the usual 10 petals and one of a faded bloom showing the red pistils.

• User
    6 years ago

Jill, do you know anything about who planted it? Was this a division of something that person had in their own collection? Suddenly I am wondering if this might have been one of the Bracteata seedlings I shared with Mel years ago.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Paul- I collected the cutting in Coulterville in 2010. Fred was there last week and talked to the homeowner who said they planted it about 15 years ago. My cutting grown plant has been at the Heritage for a couple years.

• User
    6 years ago

Thanks Jill. That eliminates my theory. I have a Bracteata hybrid I made about 10 years ago that is remarkably similar in look and style to that plant.

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Not that this is likely to help matters, but another rose with red pistils and pale stamens is this rose, which is an unstriped version of "Smith's Parish". The striped version also has red pistils, which is one reason I finally figured out the ID for my "Smith's Parish White"...

Virginia

• Jill Perry
    6 years ago

Virginia, that's interesting, because the only other rose with red pistils I've seen is Austrian Copper. As far as I know there is zero relationship between that and Smith's.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

That's facinating about AC's red pistils...and CY's. I don't think yellow R foetida has red pistils. (Or does it?) CY is a very mysterious rose! Carol

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

If the assumption is that "Smith's Parish" is actually 'Fortune's Five-coloured Rose', then it is very puzzling.

I'd love to know when "SP" was first noted as growing in Bermuda. It may not be very old at all... the earliest date I can find mentioned is 1954.

When I was first searching for an ID, the light green foliage had me thinking there might be Pernetiana ancestry, so that's an interesting parallel with the red pistils observation.

There is a record of a single-flowered rose, Rosa lutea pallida that was a seedling of Austrian Copper. No known offspring, but I do like to get my exercise jumping to conclusions...

Virginia

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

"...I do like to get my exercise jumping to conclusions...". Ha! Ha!

I think Basye's Purple has red pistils. Mine isn't blooming, darn it. Maybe the photos on the internet are revealing.... Carol

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Well, Carol, have a look at this parent of 'Basye's Purple':

R. foliolosa

Now is when I want a botanist to step in and say if those are red pistils or not...

Virginia

• roseseek
    6 years ago

I would suggest a whole lot of folks go out to their roses and begin pulling flowers apart. You will learn a LOT about what's inside of them. Red pistils are the norm for MANY roses. I find them all the time harvesting pollen from moderns, OGRs, minis, etc. So much so, I doubt it is a useful trait to use for identification. I would post some examples, except the wifi in the hotel in which I am staying this evening is so lousy, photos on HMF won't open. Look at Gloire des Rosomanes, Banksiae, Flamingo (Rugosa), Frances Ashton, and a host of others. The actual filaments (pollen tubes?) which carry the sperm into the ovary are red. The sticky tips are often red, but just as often clear, white, or translucent.

Basye's Amphidiploid 86-3 (Banksiae X Laevigata)

Frances Fisher

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Kim, what can you tell us about red pistils... how common they probably are and how (and where?) the trait shows up in breeding lines?

I know that when I was trying to ID my mystery white ("Smith's Parish White"), the lack of red pistils amongst contenders was striking. And helpful, ultimately.

Virginia

• roseseek
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Virginia, red pistils and red stamen are as common in roses as blue or brown eyes are in people. Meaning they are not rare. They happen. You can tell what colors are possible in a cross with a rose by what colors occur in the entire plant. A yellow with yellow stamen and pistils or white ones, is "unstained" and will breed a pure yellow, an "unstained yellow". If you want to stabilize a purple, you can cross it with a strong yellow and it will enhance the purple. If there is red anywhere in the yellow flowered plant (including foliage, prickles, stamen, etc.), the purple can be "stained" with red. Think Paradise and Angel Farce. If there is no red in the yellow, there should be no red in the purple cross. But, the red occurs all the time and sometimes appears out of seemingly no where.

Now, we saw Coulterville Yellow today at the Heritage. Susan (poorbutroserich), Jill and I scoured the plant. Here are photos.

Notice this weird trait. Three leaves on new growth and it's virtually prickle-free.

Now, lookie here! "Cl. Yellow Blaze", which is Climbing Sunflare. It has similar foliage, similar blooms, the same three leaflet new growth that "morphs" into the usual five with age, and it has prickles. So, this must be "Cl. Yellow Blaze" with some mutation, perhaps Round Up? I dunno, but it shouldn't "rare". Yes, I edited this to change from my mis typed identification to Cl Sunflare. I had originally typed Cl Gold Badge. Sorry about that.

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

You guys are pretty clever to solve that one. Thanks for the info on red pistils, stamens, etc.

Have a safe trip home,

Virginia

• roseseek
    6 years ago

Thanks, ma'am. Perhaps, but luck played a significant role. The potential mate happened to grow not too far from the unidentified plant. The really fortunate part was both expressing the same foliage color and texture as well as that odd three leaflet new growth. I honestly figured it had to be something like that from the first photos. When you see a plant and it "speaks to you". I'm sure you've experienced some of that before. Thank you. We head up to a large garden in Aptos in the morning, then off to San Juan Bautista to play in the "heat". My two partners in crime head back up here to Santa Cruz while I head south to my own warm, snug, overly populated bed for the first time since last Sunday night. It's been a real blast, but there still is no place like home and your own bed. You well understand that. G'nite!

• mcnastarana
    6 years ago

It is a significant discovery if someone has found a non-virused specimen of 'Cl. Sunflare', which unfortunately became infected with RMV sometime in the late 90s or early 00s. I had some correspondence on the subject with Malcolm Manners about seven years ago. At that time, he stated he might be interested in using 'Cl. Sunflare' in the virus cleaning program at his university. I was at that time not able to supply cuttings so nothing came of it then.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Coulterville Yellow is not Cl. Sunflare.They have several similarities, and there is likely to be a relationship, but the shininess of the leaves on CV looks different from Sunflare, and Sunflare is well armed with big prickles, while CV is thornless. The bloom form is a bit different, too. Kim thinks it could be a sport, but I think there are too many differences for that. A seedling or product of the same breeding seems more likely to me.

• mcnastarana
    6 years ago

There is a lengthy list on HMF of first generation progeny of 'Sunsprite', including a lovely single yellow floribunda from Warren Millington which won't have made its way here on account of rose wilt disease; one wonders how Australians manage to grow roses at all with so deadly a plague rampaging through their gardens. 'Mirabella' was sold in the US in the mid-90s, but seems in pix to have a few more petals than CY.