SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Leap into Spring with Us - Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
29 days ago
last modified: 29 days ago

Some of us have lept quite far into spring and are nearing very close to summer, while others are newly enjoying flowers and warmth....and then there are some of us who still have snow. lol Whatever the case, we're here together filled with hope and friendship.

Comments (462)

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    3 days ago

Sorry if I misled anyone about my fuchsia tree, I believe they are known as uprights. There are 2 types, upright growing & trailing. I call mine a tree as it's almost 6 ft tall & the main branch is very thick.

It was in a small pot many years ago & I didn't have a good shaded area so I plomped it under my Sharifa Asma & forgot about it. One day I noticed blossoms intertwined with the roses so it was a happy accidental "planting" as it was never removed from its plastic nursery pot. It eventually broke.

rosecanadian thanked Soozie Q, zone 10b
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Carol, our 80's F. is only for 2 days then back to reality... lol...

Been working on getting Gracie & Savanah used to each other...It surely has been quite the challenge Carol... But slowly getting there...lol...

I grass seeded Gracies large sink hole today from that strong urine of hers..lol...Guess I will have to water grass down every time after she urinates...Here at my new house she urinates in the same area... AT the old house she had burnt circles everywhere I always had to fix...lol

Neighbors tree...

This area will fill in fast within the next couple months...BabyOso Easy Double Red rose bush on the far end of first pic... And a couple Diervilla Kodiak Blacks shrubs... etc

Other end...

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • Related Discussions

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 4

Q

Comments (229)
    Hi Lavender! It’s been a while since I’ve seen anything from you. Merry Christmas, and great to hear from you. Diane, I did order Boscobel from them last year. It’s sure worth requesting a catalogue, if you don’t get one. Mine just arrived yesterday, so maybe some are still on their way? It’s 172 pages without the index, and loaded with gorgeous pictures. I just wish I could get my hands on the DA florist roses, as plants. I know they aren’t meant for home gardeners, but I’d sure like to give it a try. They are absolutely incredible. I’ll see if I can get a picture of a page without disturbing my little lap friend:) ‘Charity’ is so unique with her little green pip. Either this one or the next are my favorite. This one, ‘Edith’ might be my favorite. Those antique gold centers are so beautiful! Here’s one more picture. I love the ruffles in ‘Beatrice’. I don’t know why I’m drooling over the couple pages of roses that we CAN’T order for the garden. They’re just irresistible to me. I think ‘Edith’ could be one of the DA roses my niece, Jenna, used in her wedding last year. It sure looks like it. Jenna used lots of warm colors, while Sarena,(the recent pictures I posted) used more subtle colors. They both used lots of gorgeous DA roses, but very different from each other. I hope everyone gets their DA catalog soon. I think it’s the best edition they’ve ever sent me, but I haven’t been getting them for all that many years. I’m impressed by nice selection of non-DA roses, as well. This “Index By Color”, at the end of the catalog is a nice feature, although it doesn’t include all the DA roses they offer. Evelyn and Bishops Castle aren’t in this index. It’s a great way to see color graduation, and I appreciate that they mixed in non-DA roses. It would be a great tool for designing a bed. Too bad it’s too late any new designs around here. I mostly just winged it, and they are where they are...... Lisa
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 3

Q

Comments (249)
    @Flowers - I have a pagoda dogwood & a magnolia called yellow butterflies. They both are happy here. The magnolia is more tree like than shrub shaped. I bought it as a single trunk tree. I would have like one of the kousa dogwood trees, but I don't really have a spot for it. I purchased both as smaller plants, so they are just starting to get some size. I will take photos as they progress. @Diane - her illustrations are fantastic! It's very time consuming & tedious to do this type of work. Hope she really enjoys it. You are right about all the spring bloomers going so fast. But I think in my area where we have had 6 months of cold, the first buds & blooms of the season are magnificent! It's nice if a tree or shrub can give you the spring blooms, ornamental feature like berries and have fall colour. My serviceberry trees & dogwood do this. I would like to add a Red bud some day as well. Yesterday I found my first flower of the season! We went for a walk in the woods near us & we spotted these little blooms. The forest floor was covered in these popping up between all the leaves! I will post photos next.
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 4

Q

Comments (201)
    How are we supposed to get any gardening done with this thread moving like lightening and photos I can hardly tear myself away from! Lisa, those pale pink and pale yellow roses are my kind of colors. They would be dreamy together in a bouquet. Your garden is exploding this year. I had to go back and look once again at your front garden photos, Dianela. Some of you have gardens that are so inspiring and motivating for me to work a little harder on mine. I'm on my way to Northland to pick up another Raspberry Cream Twirl for $9.50, the special of the week. This rose gets such good reviews, I think I need two. I WISH she would cover an arbor like yours, Dianela!, but I can't expect that here. Here's a pic from Northland of their mini roses. I might pick up a couple of these to tuck in some open spots in the garden. Northland's photo. Last week, these two round tables were all blue and chartreuse annuals and perennials. I could just move in and live happily ever after.
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 7

Q

Comments (210)
    Oh, what a long day, and I still haven't had a decent dinner. I deadheaded til the sweat ran down my face, hand watered a bunch of stuff, and sprayed every rose in my garden with deer repellent. To top it off, Jemma and I found over 200 more pics on a second file in my memory card, so we now have organized, filed, cropped, etc, over 700 photos! Jemma will be taking my camera away from me. I plead temporary insanity. All those days I didn't post, I was taking photos--ha. And you thought I was working in my garden. Pippa, I've always wanted to grow Gruss, and your photo reminds me why. She's such a lovely rose. I love the linaria. I've become interested in wispy delicate plants to weave amongst the roses. I've been trying out anchusa for the past year or two. Thank you, Flowers. Love Song is a favorite of mine, so I guess that's why I have two of them. Yes, from now on Jim is Sir James, OBE. Sorry, Jim. Kristine, I'm glad you're getting some help because your day sounds like mine--only I don't have a baby to care for. I can't imagine how exhausting it must be, but you still grow lots of lovely roses and other plants. Did you grow delphinium this year? Deadheading is my biggest job right now, too, so I can sympathize. It gets me that we work so hard all year so the roses can bloom a while, only to have all those luscious blooms dry up and die. What a waste of beauty, it seems like. Thanks, Blondie. What a shame that some Canadian roses don't take the cold well. Your Morden Sunrise may be small, but it's quite cute, plus nice and thick. It will be lovely all covered in blooms, so be sure to post a photo. I guess MS does better in zone 7 and above--ha. I'm interested in baptisia, so would love to see more photos of Sparkling Sapphires. It should be a stunning plant in full bloom. Love the solar egg. Now I will show you our Finn on a Bike whirligig. Diane
    ...See More
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 days ago

Just going to chime in briefly, in case anyone is considering Russian Sage that has not grown or seen it around before, it suckers like crazy and is quite bossy, at least here in my area. I wouldn't consider it a good companion plant unless you have very spacious beds.

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 days ago

But it is glorious, Magpie! I love Russian Sage.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 days ago

Yes it's beautiful and smells so very good, but I still wouldn't put one in my narrow borders :) I just enjoy it growing in other people's front yards.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

I've never had Russian Sage sucker, just produce a couple of new seedlings. But I don't grow it anymore because I only have space for lavender. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Diane - Your 2nd pic of The Prince took my breath away!! :) :) :) What a rose!!! That's a win when working with sprinklers...not getting hit in the face/hair with the water. :) :) Good job!! :) Nice....Elaine sure spoils you...already hardened off snaps. :) :) Also good job in getting your roses shipped...I'm really, really excited to see you do your magic with Ashley!!! Lily of the Valley blooms are supposed to smell wonderful...do you agree? My goodness...those 2 tone pics are insanely beautiful...especially the first one!! Hmmm...I have nothing to offer anyone about growing Austins. So far they've all hated me. I mean, they HATE me. lol

Kristine - I'll trade you your rain for our snow. lol Yes, it snowed again today...twice. It didn't last...but my roses stayed in the garage again. Ugh.

Soozie - wow...it broke through the nursery plastic pot! I think your uprights are what we call standards. Must be really pretty to have a standard fuchsia! I'd love to see a pic of the pairing if you can easily find one. :)

Jim - When our two dogs were fighting, we had them separated for a few months...it's quite challenging. They now get along really well...so there's hope. Good going on what you've accomplished....where there's a will, there's a way. :) :) You could put some rocks/gravel in an area and bring them there every time for potty, and they'll eventually learn...especially if cookies are involved. :) :) My dogs eliminate on our rocks. I can walk around on the grass in bare feet. :) That tree is exquisite!! We still have no leaves at all. Thanks for the leaf pick-me-up. :)

Good to know, Magpie. :)

I almost choked to death today. We were at a Vietnamese restaurant and eating with chopsticks, so I couldn't cut this long piece of meat...I put it in my mouth and it went down my throat and was stuck. I was coughing violently and then I wasn't. Kedra (just came back from Mexico) came over and was going to Heimlich me and then I reached to my throat and pulled it out. I coughed for a long time after that...I had turned completely beet red. Kedra said that the things most people choke on are meat and huge pieces of lettuce. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Oh, Carol, I'm glad you're OK. It must help to have a doctor daughter at the ready. My family are all proficient with chopsticks, and I'm lazy and refuse to use them. I'm also careful to cut up meat no matter what kind of food I'm eating. Just get out the old knife and fork and forget about chopsticks is my motto. Anyway, did Kedra have an interesting trip to Mexico? Elaine and I had a nice lunch and a pretty drive afterward. Very pleasant and so many beautiful trees were in bloom. The pinks were stunning, especially a round, small dogwood in the most perfect pink. Our small red crabapple is eye popping right now. I must get more pics tomorrow. It's Jemma's birthday and we're having brunch at a restaurant. I'd rather be in bed-ha. She made another fantastic three layer cake, which I can't wait to sink my greedy teeth into. I'm sorry you're still getting snow. Here's to getting the roses outside for the season. Thanks about The Prince. I hope he forgives me for the hard pruning.

Jim, everything looks great at your place. I liked the photo of Gracie and sorta friend. So cute, but I hope they can be good friends finally. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    2 days ago

Diane, Yep Yep! I ordered Bl Baccara since my 2 prize wine roses may not come or at least not come until later???

Kristine, I also jumped on “the waiting lists of Rogue Valley for ”The Prince,” & High Country for ”WS2000.” they're currently out of stock, but I may get them later this season or next year as long as I watch for them to come available. They cost similar prices.

Either GR LLT will deliver or I will get them from these other reliable nurseries. Black Baccara will enhance my garden until soneday they arrive! I have not given up on GR LLT-it’s goid you are holding out! They may come!!!!

Jim,

It’s wonderful to see Gracie & Savannah get along. Sharing your home and gardens is a good idea for both dogs! Btw, It’s more work, but I walk Amastasia on leash when she uses the yard to a different spot…. so she doesn’t over do one spot. And where we both trampled the grass with snow/ice this winter she went her business , too, & it looked very trampled down during mid-winter!!! Whole corners of back yard trampled and used for dog business. But come spring-she really fertilized it well-spread out in a few corners of theyard-longer-greener due to great “dog manure!” Maybe I should sell her manure-the grass grows super -better-long-green-thick in all spots she went! LOL! Woohoo!

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 days ago

Carol!!! holy moly! not much scarier than choking. I am so glad that you are ok. yikkks

Jim, wow! you have accomplished so much and your yard is going to burst in to color and look so great!

Kitty, I should get on some wait lists as well. Diablo Hawk is a really beautiful Paul Barden rose that I would love to grow.

Diane, the Qween of all things purple. Your Prince is fab

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Thanks, Kristine and Kitty, there's nothing like a good discussion about dogs pooping before breakfast--haha. I'm waiting to go to Jemma's birthday brunch. Normally, I'd be in my rocking chair in a robe, sipping coffee. It's a windy day, darn, so I probably won't be planting the new snaps later. Going to be windy Monday, too. Our spring is back to typical Idaho--windy and not very pleasant. It's hard on all the blooming trees. I'm on a wait list for Scentuous from Home Depot, of all places. This is Augusta Luise's sister, a gorgeous Evers/Tantau rose, and Home Depot had it in a group of special roses all over California, of course. See the Scentuous thread for details and Ben's gorgeous rose. Diane

Ebb Tide 2023 My Ebb Tide roses currently have buds but nothing's blooming.

• KittyNYz6
    2 days ago

Diane, Gorgeous The Prince! And is that sumptous Ascot?! Ebby is very enchanting, too!

I’ll send you some ”home-made manure, if you like?”

Jim, We could both sell it??? And Carol, Kristine?

Zephyr could finally be put to good use? 🤪🥀😊😇, Lol! Love my green patches on the lawn where Anastasia blessed it!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Thanks, Kitty. Above is all Ebb Tide. Here is Ascot. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    2 days ago

Diane, You’re welcome! Super gorgeous Ascot!

Oh, today, My Fig tree went outside to live! I kicked her out! Ha, ha! At least she isn’t homeless. She’s bathing in the flower bed in a pot! It’s supposed to rain soon just for a few hours. Time to get used to living out in the great outdoors! I read figs should form in the next month for a mid-summer harvest!

Seeds in kitchen are sprouting! After 5 days: Zinnia, Scabiosa, Bachelor Buttons, Cosmos!

Cosmos are an inch tall-they grow like the EASIEST! And zinnias, too! Those grow lights really make them grow fast or a window!

Carol, I meant to say, co grats on your seeds in milk cartons! As long as no freezes they will be good! Put ’em in basement next to your other plants temporary if any nightly freezes?

Today,

Bring Me Sunshine came in mail! She’s soaking in a pot! From DA, she is grafted & had a ton of big dry thorns on canes. Not liking thorns! She is supposed to get maybe 6 ft. I’d like her pretty ruffly blooms-Hamilton says sge has tons of blooms. Well, I need some sunshine in my garden-lots of yellow blooms would be nice!

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    2 days ago

Rose Canadian, absolutely terrifying. So glad you are okay. so scary.

rosecanadian thanked Echo_Texas_zone9a
  • Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Back from birthday brunch, and in a daze. How can people eat so much for brunch? Not my time of day for big eating. I did enjoy fresh fruit and a huge glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. But even that was about twice as big as I expected. Burp. Sorry. We're waiting for the rest of the group to get back to finish bday. They are hitting Good Will first. Gah. I'm already thinking about Jemma's fabulous cake which she made herself.

Kitty, poor little figgywiggy. He has to take on the big outside world. I love his leaves. I'm excited to see how Bring Me Sunshine does for you. I'm on another waiting list, thanks to Ben, for Golden Zest. More about that later. Cosmos and zinnias like it really warm, but the others can go outside sooner I'll bet. Cosmos grow so well here, normally I would just toss out seeds in May, but quail just devour them and cosmos seedlings. The blasted things devour bachelor's buttons, too. It's so frustrating. Thanks about Ascot. I have two Ascots, and have grown them since 2012. Palatine carried Ascot back then. It is Evers/Tantau. Diane

More Ascot 2023 I can't wait for them to bloom. Julia Child is the friend. Ascot's blooms are actually larger than Julia's. But the photo fools you.

• romanszone8
    yesterday

Diane those are SWOON worthy. Absolutely stunning. I impulsively purchased 2 At Last roses today and I’m kicking myself for not reading reviews first. Grrrrr do I take them back? Anyone have any experience with them? The reviews are horrible.

rosecanadian thanked romanszone8
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Yay, Bernstein has a bloom a really wonderful bloom Last year I got maybe 3 puny little blooms but this is his year apperently

Easy Does It

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Kristine, I'm so happy Bernstein is coming through for you. They are gorgeous blooms, and I see some lovely buds. Is your plant still small? This rose never gets very big, so it's easy to squeeze it in. Lovely Easy Does It as well.

Romans, thank you about Ascot. I don't grow At Last, but I suppose it depends on the seller and their return policy as to whether you can return those roses. I hope this works out well for you. Diane

yesterday

It's been raining steadily for 25 hours now.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    yesterday

I hadn’t heard bad reviews concerning At Last. There is an Instagrammer I’ve seen with beautiful At Last roses. I’ve definitely considered buying it. When it’s good its very lovely.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Magpie, how I wish I could take some rain off your hands. We need it. Has it stopped yet? If not, how are things doing--are you up on a hill, by any chance? Your tulip is so beautiful, the kind of look I like in a tulip.

Romans, if you're looking for a really nice orange rose that blooms continuously, try Double Easy Orange, or what I call him, Orange Dude. I love this guy, but he won't get very big, which is fine with me considering the small space he was allotted in my garden. He's available from Jackson & Perkins, but time is running out on their rose shipping, I think. Diane

Both of these photos were taken in August 2023. This rose blooms for months, right through the heat.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

I noticed that longagoroses is selling Ascot on eBay as an auction. With nearly a week to go, there are already three bids. Notice that Long Ago doesn't ship to lots of states before you bid. Diane

• berrypiez6b
    yesterday

With Spring heating up , so are the beautiful flower photos . I have loved seeing everyone's prize plants the past few days.

Diane, Birthday brunch sounds so fun, it's the company that makes it memorable. Jemma's fabulous birthday cake sounds better than the sauerkraut I was looking forward to for a Sunday sandwich. Once and only once, I made a chocolate sauerkraut cake. The recipe said the cake would be moist, and sauerkraut flavor not noticeable ... yeah , UNTIL you take a bite . It was a historic monumental flop in my baking history.

My dicentra has pink hearts hanging all over it now, the only flowers in my garden. I thought the fern was dead - it plays possum every year . I almost dug it out to make room for Madame Dubost's arrival in a few days. The first rolled up frond is peeking out of the brown sticks, making ready to announce it's still alive . It's so cool how fern fronds unroll.

Magpie, it won't be long before we will be roasting trying to keep our thirsty flowers watered in the heat. The tiny poppy seedlings I planted a few weeks ago are glad for the rain , it's amazing they weren't washed away.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Diane - thanks, Diane. :) :) Yeah, it really does put one's mind at rest having Kedra around. Although she says that no one would ever be able to save her if she was in trouble because none of us has taken first aid. I'm with you now about the chopsticks. I did try to tear the meat apart with my chopsticks...but it didn't work. Yes, Kedra and her fiance, Chloe, went to Mexico with Chloe's family for a destination wedding for Chloe's sister. They had a really fun time. They saw iguanas, an agouti, cormorants, etc. The day she came back there was snow and Kedra was used to the heat of Mexico (she put on sunscreen 8 times/day!!). I'm glad that you and Elaine had a nice time together. There's nothing like a really long time friend. :) :) I think that flowering trees are heavenly with their masses of fragrant blossoms. Please show pictures of your crabapple in full bloom!! Mmmm...three layer cake...yum!! I love going out to eat...you'll have fun. :) We're likely to have 4 more days of snow this week. Can you believe it? Heavy sigh. Your Ebb Tides are stunning...especially the first glorious EB pic!! Ohhhhhhh....I hope you're going to be able to get a Scentuous!!! My goodness...what an exquisite rose!!! And then you show us your marvelous Ascot!! :) :) Happy sigh. :) :)

Kristine - thanks...I remembered that Kedra has always told us that if we ever choke we shouldn't go run to the bathroom because we're embarrassed. So I stayed at the table. :)

Kitty - lol...I'll pass on composting dog poop. lol That's good news about your Fig tree getting kicked out to stand on her own. :) :) Hard to believe that baby plant will provide you with figs already. I sure hope you do get some. :) Sprouting seeds...excellent!! You chose some really beautiful plants to try. I was thinking that light freezes should be okay since they're on the deck and in the plastic. But maybe you're right. Bring Me Sunshine will be just what your garden needs...a touch of brightness. I love the song Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone. :)

Echo - thanks!! It was pretty scary and it took a long time for the coughing to completely go away.

Diane - I love brunch...bacon!! :) Maybe they wouldn't miss a small slice taken out of the cake. You've all already had some cake so my advice (not good advice, but advice) to have some cake before they came home didn't come in time. So how was the cake? I've wanted Golden Zest for a long time. I hope you get one this summer. Julia Child and her friend Ascot look great together! Mmmmm

Romans - it may do better for you than the reviews say. And hmf reviews do say that the fragrance is excellent. :) :)

Kristine - so nice to see that your roses are blooming...how is Our Anniversary doing for you?

Magpie - the tulips look mesmerizing with the raindrops. :)

Diane - rather than take Magpie's rain, you could take our upcoming snow!! I'd really appreciate it. lol Your last picture of Orange Dude looks juicy, like a weird looking orange. Love it!

Berrypie - note to self...no sauerkraut cakes! :) :) I hope your Madame Dubost does amazingly for you (and mine too...lol). :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Carol, I'm so sorry about the snow. I know it cools down here some in the next few days, but that's OK because things get too rushed when the heat comes on too fast. Those flowering trees lose their blooms so quickly, especially when it's windy like today. I did get some more pics of the red crab that's really a dark pink. We had a great brunch, but I think I ate the least, though Jemma's boyfriend, skinny guy that he is, didn't eat a lot, plus he had a Coke. Now I love my Coke, but not at a brunch. I had a huge glass of fresh squeezed OJ, the first in decades for me. I do drink frozen OJ every morning for breakfast, though. The fresh was such a treat, plus we had these wonderful fresh fruit compotes. Really good fresh pineapple, and other yummy stuff. Jemma's cake was scrumptious, and you have reminded me I wanted a little more before I go to bed. I'm glad the trip to Mexico was a great success, but so much sunscreen for Kedra and in April.

Berry, love little Winnie. I want some rain. I've heard about the sauerkraut cakes, but I wouldn't trust the stuff as a cake ingredient. That is so neat you have a fern, something I've never grown. Do you have trouble keeping it moist enough? I've never grown dicentra, either. I love it, though. Take care and migraines be gone forever. Diane

• romanszone8
    yesterday

Thank you all for the encouragement and also your lovely suggestions. I appreciate it 😊

yesterday

This is the Avacado tree that Azalea and I started from a pit

• KittyNYz6
    yesterday

Friends,

Beautiful flowers/roses on this sunny day! Lovely Ascot-Diane!

Amazing Avocado tree, Kristine!

TODAY,

I received my 6 tuberose tubers today.” I added a soray if moist water to them & will pot them tomorrow, after soaking. Cool Tuberoses! I love growing tubers/corms/bulbs!!!! (My Anemone corms are planted, but no roots for another week maybe.) My Gabriel Oaks & Bring Me Sunshine are soaking in kitchen pot-today I washed them with dish soap & gave them clean water. It’s rainy outside/cool….. another frw days & we will have warm warm weather. Now 8 days of 70Fs, but looks cool… too rainy to put all outside. Nights are 50F.

I wash my DA roses: BMSunshine & GOaks roses because canes looked dusty-not sure how healthy before I washed them -at least no bugs and greener clean now and greener! They sorkle after their bath-Lol! BMSunshine had burnt black thorns-I washed-oruned the canes-They look little better., Both have nodes growing! i am not fond of bare roots-tgey don’t akways look great when delivered, but afterca bath they look nice! Lol!

Carol,

seedlings & plants are cooler in pots than in the ground. The soil in pots-airpasses through faster due to fast draining potting soil. Cool air oasses tgrough to pot roits faster than in ground plants. If you had an enclosed deck with roof it wouod keep seedlings warmer., All my seedlings go inside home unless it is above freezing on porch outside.,,

I put potted “kinda thick stemed plants/roses in my enclosed porch with burlap, sometines to keep warm if skightly rainy, or almost freezing 34F. My pirch has a roof, walks, but no door. It’s warm but gives them some outside weather-to harden off.

However, seedlings have different temps they grow in & most seedlings don’t tolerate any freezes. So I would put them outside only if sunny. & above 33F.,Check each seed you planted to see how cold they can tolerate. Some if the seeds may need 60F or warmer to grow, may not tolerate ubder 50F. Each seeds needs different temperatures. you can research temps fir seeds on internet.

Zinnias & Scabiosa seeds like 60-75F to sprout/grow/ideal!

Below 50F, zinnia roots rot.

Scabiosa seeds can be winter sown, but not necessary. They sprout between 60-75F.,

poppies can be winter sown, but not necessary. they sprout at 70F in 4 days.

My kitchen is 64-70F , grow lights, and Zinnia/Scabiosa seeds sprouted 4-6 days.

I have Bachelor Buttons, Cosmos, & more seeds sprouted, too!

DAHLIAS

Dahlias in baywindow/grow lights are 4 inches to 1 1/2 feet! Many are very tall!!!!!! Very big dahlia dinnerplates already. Living room & kitchen turning very green Jumanji , again! Lol!

I have to wait naybe 2 weejs before consistent 70F to put outside many flowers.

Photos tomorrow! Amazing growth!

yesterday

Echo_Texas_zone9a , I grow AT Last rose here... Has great disease resistance so far here & has nice fragrance, blooms well, BUT the blooms blow very quick... 1-3 days depending on the heat...Its only drawback that I can see so far...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5202662/at-last-rose-performance#n=211

• romanszone8
    yesterday

Jim, that’s one of the main kickers for me. We get quite a bit of rain and high heat/humidity the roses already seem to get wiped out in a day. It was a Home Depot purchase so at least they have a good plant policy. I might be swapping out.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    yesterday

Yeah I can definitely see how that would not be ideal.

yesterday

Roman, I loved the color and size of At Last but maybe a day or two before it blew. Too bad because it was such a pretty rose.

• Diane Brakefield
    20 hours ago

Love your avocado tree, so shiny and healthy. When do you expect your first avocados? Sorry. Will you try moving it outside when it's nice and warm?

Well, I've had blast setting out little sprinkler and getting my pants good and wet. I'm not done yet. Tell me when gardening is supposed to be fun. Diane

18 hours ago

Carol, & everyone...

We left Gracie & Savanah mingle together off leashes here at my house today...They were kissing each other so all went good... :-)

It reached 83 degrees F today...Just the other night we had a frost so it was a shock to the system ....lol...but a welcome shock... :-)

18 hours ago

wondering the same thing Diane. As I see my yellow leaves and many weedy areas and we still meed to get our drip system reworked but, I do have a few blooms so things are waking up

Darcy Bussel

These petunias have been coming back for 4 years now.

18 hours ago

Carol, Our Anniversary looks amazing but no blooms yet. Eisvogel has a ton of new growth. I cant wait

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    17 hours ago

Jim, so glad to read the dogs are

getting along!

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Diane Brakefield
    16 hours ago

Kristine, those petunias are gorgeous. Are they those same colors every year? Your pretty Darcey Bussell looks like a lovely Valentine. Yes, for me it's the tree root suckers, and invasive lawn grass that are so much worse than weeds. Last year, I paid out big buck to get new valves for the drip system. One nice thing is we did have a lot more rain this winter and spring than normal, and I can see the difference in the roses and other plants, especially the snapdragons. My purple poppies are going crazy, and I'm going to have to thin them again and some are ready to take off growing upward. I can't wait to see how Eidsvogel does for you. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on Grace Rose Farm for Ashley. I'm not going to give them much longer. Why are there so many problems with online rose sellers this year? It's awful and I'm not going to order online again, unless it's a tried and true seller with a long track record. At my age, I should be selling off my roses--haha. How much could I get out of my four Evelyns?

Jim, I was so happy that Gracie and Savannah are becoming friends. Patience paid off. And how nice for both of them to have each other. Wow, 83F. You're hotter than here. Spring temps are so weird. Kitty is now warmer than we are, too. Nanadoll

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

Diane - thanks, Diane. :) :) Supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow. Blech. We have had a busy few days. We've been raking...which takes so much effort. Don and I are both completely exhausted and sore all over. lol Plus, we're still bringing in/out the roses and I carried (2 at a time) my 26 strawberry plants (in pots)...I'm tuckered out. :) :) Mmm...fresh squeezed OJ...that's a rarity for us too. So fresh and delicious. Yes, really hot weather and strong winds can stay away while your trees are blossoming. Hey, Don checked my Snowball bush and it has some thin leaf buds!! :) :) I'm excited to see how it'll do this year. I'm glad your brunch was so yummy!! I'll let you know when gardening becomes fun. lol :) :) It's so exhausting!!!

Kristine - oh that is such a sweet looking avocado plant! Will you plant it outside? Is it warm enough where you live so that it would overwinter for you? Tell Azalea from me that I'm proud of her. :) :)

Kitty - You're taking very good care of all of your newbies to the yard. :) :) Oooooh!!! Seventies temps are my favorite!! I wish all year could be in the 70s. :) :) Good advice on the seeds/germination/weather. :) :) I'm probably going to leave them outside and if they die, they die. I'm too lazy to dither with any other plant than roses/strawberries. I'm hoping that the seeds I already put in the garden will sprout. If they do, from now on I'll just fling seed and forget about germinating others. Yay for easy!!

Jim - Excellent job with the dogs!!! I'd still be very careful for awhile. But, it looks VERY promising!! What did you do that you think made the most difference with them?

Kristine - no way!!! Petunias are winter hardy for you? I had no idea. You live in the Promised Land. lol Your Darcey looks great!! My Eisvoegel from last year was sent from Hortico as a tiny, crappy little thing (like 2 toothpicks). It didn't make it over winter (and barely grew at all)...but I ordered another one from Wildwood that looks great! I'm excited about it. Post pics as soon as yours blooms!

Diane - Oooh!! Your poppies are going like gangbusters!! They're going to be amazing!! Come on, Ashley...we all need to see you in Diane's yard. :)

My rose leaves are starting to green up. The best leafed out one is Violet's Pride. The rose with the most buds is Nicole Carol Miller with about 14. I don't think the stems will support the blooms. Lots of roses have no leaves because I cut off a lot of browned new growth. But things are getting better. Now we just have to stop snow from falling this week. Ugh.

5 hours ago

Carol, we put gates up separating them for a few times... and we noticed no growling SO then we put them on leashes and let them get used to each other that went fine for a few times SO decided yesterday to keep Savanah on a leash in the yard but let Gracie loose to see what happened....Gracie ran up to Savanah and kissed her...SO we ended up letting both dogs loose under close supervision (they are just like kids....lol...) And that went well SO...Yes we will be careful....

3 hours ago

Lost another post

3 hours ago

Jim, looks like slow and steady is paying off.

Carol, petunias dont overwinter here that is why I am so surprised and kind of impressed and only the purple came back. I hope that your mew Eisvogel does well gor you. Mine has 3 new basal breaks snd lots of new leaves and the avacado tree will be potted and play the in and out garage game, that you know so well. They like that hot Mexico climate.

• KittyNYz6
    2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

Good Morning!

Exciting, hearing all your doggie and seeds (Carol) and roses blooming news! Weeding & sprinkler fun, too! LOL! (Diane, Kristine)

Carol, Snow go away!!!!! Yay, for green rises growth!

Kristine, Yay for Eisvogel growth!

Jim, Wowza 80sF!!!! Hot, hot, hot! Roses will love it!

TODAY 64F, Sunshine!

Sleepy, but need pit today!

Chat kater when Ivam awake, Lol!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…. Ok, better get-up! Doggie walk time!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    2 hours ago

Sorry, Kristine. I lost a post last night too, pictures and all. It happens frequently for me.

rosecanadian thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 hours ago

Kristine, my father in law, as I've mentioned, had a mature avocado tree in LA that produced yummy avocados regularly. And there are (or were) avocado ranches north of San Diego, so California is a good place for avocados, too. Elaine has petunias though not all of them for sure, that come back fairly regularly, so even in zone 7 that happens. I can't believe how many snaps overwintered here. I think it was every one of those I grew last year. Good going with Eisvogel.

Carol, yay Mr Snowball. May he continue to prosper. In another day or two, I'll take some photos of my snowball which is near full open blooms. Speaking of leaves, I noticed quite a few of last year's tree leaves wedged between my lavender and looking ratty. Another fun task will be removing them because they don't break down. I noticed yesterday that most roses have buds, so I'm happy about that. But it's a horse race to see which rose will bloom first. I certainly hope your snow takes a hike. I hope the wind is not bad today because little sprinkler set up continues. Fun! Games! Swim time. Diane

1 hour ago

84 degrees F today KittyNYz6 ...Mother nature is sure teasing me...lol

But I'm lovin it!

Hummingbirds are now here... :-)

Will not have any rose blooms until late May or so...

My Kodiak Fresh Diervilla .... Grows in sun or shade... 3ftx3ft when mature...Bright yellow/lime foilage...Little yellow flowers for months that bees just love...

Kodiak Black Diervilla ... 4ftx4ft when mature...Sun or shade...Yellow flowers for months that bees love..

This plant I can not remembder its name... But this plant was out front & I decided I did not want it so I dug it up and tossed it at the side of the house for mulch... WELL it had other ideas and rooted itself back into the soil...lol...A determined plant like that deserves a chance... So here it is..lol

Nanadoll, both my Coreopsis are coming back... :-) Little bang series

• Diane Brakefield
    50 minutes ago

Good grief, Jim. I think you must live in Sacramento. Your weather doesn't sound like Pennsylvania. Today is our coldest day of the week, but it's the wind that messes things up. I expect to have my first roses bloom in late May also. Did you check to see if your zone got increased to zone 7? About half the country had zone increases. Your coreopsis looks great, as well as the Diervilla. I love that the black kind resurrected itself. You can't go wrong this year, it looks like. Nanadoll

• Diane Brakefield
    47 minutes ago

OK, now I understand--it was the plant whose name you've forgotten that came back. It's really pretty, and I'm impressed with the Diervilla. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    46 minutes ago
    last modified: 38 minutes ago

Jim - I'm really happy that you helped them learn to like each other. It was pretty scary there at first....but you did it!!! :) :)

Kristine - drat that you lost another post. I'm with you on being surprised and impressed with those purple petunias!! Thanks!! I am really wanting my Eisvogel to do well. It should. I'm probably never going to buy another Hortico rose. Not even, sob, Chandos Beauty. I've wasted too much money buying Hortico, teeny, tiny roses. Avocado tree...so cool!

Kitty - is Anastasia as happy a dog as she seems in the pictures? :) :) Good going on getting up to take her for a walk.

Diane - your Snowball has blooms already? My goodness you're ahead of us. The trees here have leaf buds that have almost fully opened. Yay!!! It's so much nicer to have green on a tree. Soon we'll be seeing pictures of your roses...I'm excited about that! Yup, Mondays, Wed. and Fridays are swim days...fun! I didn't help Don with bringing out the roses today because my Achilles are bugging me a bit from carrying the heavy strawberry plants (two at a time) from the front to the back. Gotta be careful and not overdo it. Yes, wind stay away from Diane's house so she doesn't get water in her face today.

Jim - your hummingbirds have returned!! They are such cute little dervishes!!