SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What's for Dinner #348

annie1992
7 years ago

Happy New Year, everyone!

There was sure a lot of delicious seafood going on in that last thread, and Neely's duck just called to me, I really like duck.

Here we had Christmas dinner on New Year's Day, with the obligatory standing rib roast and ham.

I skipped the Yorkshire puddings, having that epic fail last time, and just made Sol's Honey Rolls instead. We made them "festive" by cutting them into stars.

We had lots of cookie and fudge, including this red velvet fudge made by the Monkey Princess:

Elery made some appetizers by wrapping sausages in bacon and smoking them. That was a big hit with the kids (and the grownups, they were all eaten):

After all that, I needed something "lighter", like some of the bones from that rib roast and a bowl of greens. I'm not a fan of lettuce, but this was a mix of kale, shredded brussels sprouts, carrots and red cabbage. Elery passed, LOL, so his portion went into vegetable soup later.

This was the vegetable soup, Elery made it. It had every vegetable left in the produce drawer, including eggplant, cabbage, zucchini, onion, carrot, and that mix of greens along with some homemade yogurt, I made 5 quarts yesterday.

Last night I made split pea soup, some was eaten for dinner and 8 pints were canned for later consumption:

One night I just had avocado on toast!

Today I'm canning some beef, I have stock in the roaster simmering and this thawing in the sink. It seems almost a shame to can T-bone stead, but Wendall didn't hang it to age last year and it's tough, so into the pressure canner it goes, now that we have this year's beef to use. I've been baking some and using it for swiss steak, but a neighbor has been raising pigs and one of his customers backed out, leaving an extra pig. Did we want it? Of course we did, I'd much prefer to give my food dollars to my neighbors and my small local slaughterhouse than to the Chinese owned Smithfield or whatever. So, now I need more freezer room, and these babies are going to have to go into jars. It'll make some awesome stew later, or beef barley soup, or something yummy:

Annie

Comments (104)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!