SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

How did your meals come out?

plllog
7 years ago

The leftovers were very well received for our first night of Chanukah celebration. I was going to make some kind of latke and vegetable kugel but was totally unmotivated. Everything lasted quite well from the big party, so I served the mini stuff cabbage, which came out great thanks to our discussions here (used savoy cabbage!) and my grandmother's "recipe", with my own innovation. The last was to use up a slightly spicy fruit juice punch instead of water for the sauce. There was water in the punch--it wasn't pure juice--so it was spicy fruity water. Mixed with the stewed tomatoes and raisins, it was fantastic. I added a little extra lemon juice, plus some fancy vinegar, to balance it out since the tomatoes aren't nearly as acidic as in the past.

We also had a few reheated latkes (double potato, rutabaga-zucchini-scallion and sweet potato-roasted red onion) with applesauce. This is my favorite batch of applesauce ever. It was all kinds of different apples, all quite ripe and fragrant, cooked down with (per suggestion in a blog) apple cider (sparkling because that's all they had at TJ's and I was too tired to go elsewhere--no additives other than some vitamin C and bubbles). Also a lemon's juice and a whisper of salt. Barely any. Far less than you can taste. But it makes a difference. Run through only the biggest holes of the food mill to retain some texture.

The rest was a variety of cold vegetables, berries and the last of the pumpkin empanadas. Everybody was happy. :)

How did your meals go? What did you serve?

Comments (19)