SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayhemingway

How to handle a bulkhead on 1 side of a range hood with no uppers

mayhemingway
7 years ago

My family just bought a home and the kitchen while new and functional isn't for me. I do love shakers and am planning to make it work by painting and doing some reconfiguring. The plan is to remove all the uppers, extend the pantry wall, move the range to the left and the 2 cabinets to its right over to the right so the range isn't end run. We'll also build a custom range hood, install butcher block counters, paint the cabinets white (probably BM Snowfall or FB All White) and walls (BM White Blush), swap out the hardware with unlacquered brass knobs and bin pulls. AND we'll replace the sink with a single basin white enamel drop-in, black or brass bridge faucet, likely IKEA Ranarp pendants over the island, shiplap the backsplash and probably the island, and swap out the range and dishwasher for a Jenn-Air induction, a Miele respectively. One day we'll open up the wall over the sink to be great big window onto the garden. The floors on the entire main floor including the kitchen will be wide plank white oak. The house is a Colonial farmhouse style and I'm taking simple but traditional kitchens by Plain English and Devol as my inspiration.

THE PROBLEM: The range hood duct vents out to the left wall that the sink is on. It's not huge at around 7.5" high and 6" deep.

OPTIONS: a) Just have that small bulkhead on the left of the hood, carrying the 4" crown molding right over it. b) Run the bulkhead straight across the whole wall and either use crown or don't use crown over it. c) Run thebulkhead just on the left but attempt to conceal it with a bespoke countertop to ceiling shelf.

The kitchen:

Bespoke shelf?

Just have a bulkhead:

Hood Inspiration:

Comments (24)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH