SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl555

Under-cabinet range hood and 15" uppers?

caligirl5
7 years ago

Hey folks, I wanted some advice on under-cabinet range hoods and how people have used them with 15" uppers.

I'm getting a 36" range hood over a 30" induction range. GC said that the city doesn't care about make-up air; also I have a drafty 1915 house with original windows and no gas appliances. So I was looking for something 450-650 cfms in $400-500 price range. I want enough ventilation, but I haven't ever had a range hood, so really any ventilation will probably seem amazing :)

I've ordered cabinets, and was planning on getting this 625 cfm hood from Costco: Ancona. First problem is it's stocked out and not sure if Costco will have them back by the time I need it. Second problem is it's 12" at the top, so not sure how to line it up with 15" uppers.

Here's the cabinet elevation planned based on the 10" high Ancona hood:

Questions:

1. With the Ancona hood, the Costco 625 cfm could come back in stock ($400). Or Amazon carries a 450 cfm version with same dimensions ($330) or 900 cfm version ($570). Leaning towards 450 cfm, 900 cfm seems like overkill. If I went with one of these options, how could I handle the 15" uppers? Would I install the hood flush on the wall, or somehow pull forward flush with the cabinets?

2. I was looking at this Zephyr Cyclone (600 cfm $439) as another option. It appears to be 15" at the top (seems weird since how would people use that with standard 12" cabinets). It's 6 3/8" high, so that would put the hood 33 5/8" over the range. Would this be better than the Ancona since it's 15" deep, or worse since the hood would be so high above the range?

3. Any options I should look at? Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)