SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Under Cabinet range hood vs. Hood Insert for Small Kitchen?

texasgal47
9 years ago

Decision time is here. My kitchen remodel was almost completed, except for the range hood. I hate to admit this, but I've dithered away for over two years in OCD indecision land trying to make a decision about the range hood. My kitchen is U-shaped with the center of the U 10 ft. wide. In this mid section, an under counter wall oven with an induction cooktop above is installed. The entire right side of the U is a peninsula completely open to the family room. I've purposely worked at minimizing the look of the appliances as much as possible. My quandry is that I hope to live in this home many years during my retirement years and want a good quality vent hood. At the time the kitchen cabinets were installed, I had planned to use an OTR microwave above the cooktop but changed my mind. Therefore, the current layout has the usual 30w x 24h x 12d cabinet above the cooktop with 42"h wall cabinets on either side and 6"h stacked crown molding above. With the current layout, my options are a 6" high under cabinet SS hood or to remove the cabinet above the cooktop and have a sloped wood range hood built with a hood insert. Imperial makes a good quality insert 18.5" deep, about 19.5" total hood depth. The company also makes a quality under cabinet hood 6" h x 18.5" deep. The problem with that latter hood is that it has a combo of baffles with mesh filters, and I want only baffles. Kobe hoods are very attractive but I don't trust their mechanics or Kobe service for the long term. I can make the shallower hood depth work by doing the "messy" cooking on the Bosch large hobb in the middle of the cooktop. Any thoughts or feedback would be a great help as to which hood you think would be best. My cabinets are KM traditional raised panel, biscotti with cocoa glaze.

Comments (10)