SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdoody1

Smoke detector wired to light switch

Patrick
7 years ago

I recently replaced two old hardwired smoke detectors in our downstairs rooms with hardwired Nest detectors. As soon as they were hooked up, I started getting a steady stream of "power outage" alerts on my Nest app. Turns out whoever wired the alarms in originally had connected them to the light switches in their rooms; every time the switch is turned off, the detectors aren't getting any power (although they do have backup batteries).
Our house is older (i.e., pre-1910), but has gone through quite a bit of renovation. In particular, the downstairs underwent a significant renovation back in 2003, 11 years before we bought it. I've contacted the previous owner to see what he can tell me about the people who handled that project, b/c I assume they're the ones that wired things up wrong. I tracked down the contractor, and he says he didn't do it, and that he remembers installing battery-only alarms. This seems like a load of CYA, b/c 1) the hardwired alarms I took out were dated 2003 and 2) it's a little odd to immediately remember that you installed battery-powered alarms in a house you worked on 13 years ago.

I've brought in an electrician to advise us on how to handle this, and he's offered up a $700 option with visible wires running along the ceiling walls and a $1,200 option with the wires hidden. We briefly discussed simply capping the wires and installing a battery-powered alarm, but my understanding is that this wouldn't be code-compliant since the downstairs was renovated within the past 20 years.

So, with that long and rambling introduction out of the way, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can handle this, and whether I have recourse against the contractor who (common sense would dictate) was responsible for wiring things up wrong? Does it constitute a code violation to put hardwired detectors on a light switch?

Thanks for any and all information.

Comments (13)