SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wayneayo

New Sod Care Suggestions -- Put Down 4 Weeks Ago

wayneayo
8 years ago

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your help and advice here. We had new Palmetto St. Augustine put down about 4 weeks ago. I believe all is going well but I did have a couple questions/concerns that I was hoping you guys might help out with. A quick note: Yesterday I mowed it for the first time at a height of 3 inches.

After looking at the attached "high-level" pictures...is this about where it should look after 4 weeks or should it be "fuller"? If tested pieces around the yard and everything seems to have started rooting well (which is why I felt comfortable mowing).

I've noticed some scattered nutsedge around the yard that's not focused in any particular area. I've read that nutsedge thrives in wet marshy areas, so I'm hoping it will be slowly phased out as I continue to reduce the frequency of watering. Is there anything else I should do here, other than manually pulling these when i see them?

There are a couple of small spots that aren't growing as well as the rest. It seems focused on certain sod squares, almost like they were bad to start or something. I've included pictures of these as well as closeups.

Lastly...at 4 weeks...how much water should i be putting down (removing rain as a factor). Should I still be at multiple waterings per week or just once a week now?

Thank you again for your help!

Comments (15)