SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atx33_gw

New to lawn care and just laid sod. Looking for advice.

atx33
13 years ago

Hello everyone. I just laid St Augustine in the back yard this past weekend and patched a couple spots in the front where we had old tree stumps ground down. I have done some lawn care stuff growing up but after finding this site I think most of what I was doing was wrong, like cutting the grass way to low. So I guess I am new to doing lawn care properly, and I would like to go organic.

So right now as far as my plan goes is my watering schedule. I am starting out 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes for 2 weeks. Then slowly cut it down so I am watering 1 maybe 2 times a week. Then I am not planning on mowing for 4 weeks (is that a proper waiting period?)

So thats about all I have planned out so far. Now when I mow the front I cut it at the highest setting and let the clippings become nutrients for the lawn. Other then that I dont know what I should do to fertilize? How often? What do I use to fertilize? When do I aerate the lawn? Anything else I need to do? I guess I am looking for any advice possible so I can make a plan and do it the right way from the start.

Thanks a ton for your help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz