SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinker1121

Paint color help for bathroom please

tinker1121
8 years ago

I know it is difficult to choose paint colors from a monitor, but needing suggestions of a wall color and trim for our bathroom do coordinate with this "Bermuda Sand" vanity top. The toilet and tub enclosure is "biscuit" color, not white, and neutral beige variegated tile floor and getting a new Swantone vanity top which I think is limiting me now in the wall color. I am picturing something coffee with cream color for the walls, not gray, and a creamy white for the trim. Please make suggestions and I will head out for samples and paint up some boards, Room gets lots of light in the day but darkish in the evening due to lighting. Thanks, and sorry for being so needy. I had posted over on the bathroom forum too.

Comments (34)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Pics of the bathroom would be helpful. What is the light like in there? Any windows? Who uses this bathroom? Do you want to play it safe or go for something more striking?

• eld6161
    8 years ago

First off, I love neutrals, especially in a bathroom. I like the direction you are going in.

Keep things neutral and then add print an/or textures with your accessories.

• Related Discussions

Bathroom - help w/ paint direction please

Q

Comments (75)
    Lori - Actually I was looking at that color today online. Long story short, I normally use Ace Royal paint but they don't carry it anymore and I don't like the new stuff. I considered heading to another place to look at color chips. I do plan on using BM paint for the bathroom but was hoping for something decent but cheaper for the bedroom but who to match the paint...? So anyhow, yeah, I'd love to see a sample of the H. Butterscotch!
    ...See More

Ack! Bathroom paint color disaster. Help please!

Q

Comments (5)
    Busybee ... Thank you, I'll check that out. I can't believe I forgot my fan deck today. I carry that thing with me everywhere these days. Caminnc, I did cut the wall color 50% for the ceiling, but now that I'll be changing the wall color we'll have to see how the ceiling looks.
    ...See More

Please help with paint color for windowless bathroom

Q

Comments (21)
    thanks everyone for your votes! i think we have narrowed it down to going with blues or the creamy whites. emmarene, i liked the green too but DH nixed the oranges or greens. atkillery, i agree the tans would not be crisp enough. mayflowers and crl, thank you for the suggestion to pick the white from the accent tile! i don't know why that thought never crossed my mind, lol. that is why i need you folks :-) annie, DH and i both like the wedgwood too and think it could give more contrast/impact, just have to see if it will be too dark. tibbrix, i really like the idea of white wainscoting and then blue on top, I am not sure i can do the wainscoting now though as we have 6" tile baseboards installed? here is a pic of our walls, just primed. I guess a creamy white might look similar? I'll try to photoshop in some blues for you guys to see too. with so many color choices, it was so hard for me to narrow it down, so thank you! now we just need to pick the perfect shade!
    ...See More

Bathroom Green/Beige Paint Color Help Please!

Q

Comments (3)
    try ben moore halo, but give it time to dry. you hardly think it has much color at first but within a months time it darkens up. use the aura matte, awesome finish.
    ...See More
  • tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is my plan. I want yummy and creamy but the undertone thing is difficult. I did this with my living room a while back and ended up having to repaint. So what I need are yummy and creamy combination suggestions and I will go get the samples to try out in the room. Some really pretty ones in the bathroom forum but this is far from those huge new spaces. This is a 100 year old house, our only bathroom and large enough to serve it's purpose with a tub and shower surround. I still like nice things.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Light is everything when it comes to picking paint colors. What is the light like in this bathroom? How much wall area is there to be painted? Large walls or small areas around windows, mirrors, fixtures, etc.?

• eld6161
    8 years ago

I agree with Tib. Light, light and light! So important. But , you can also research the undertones of each color you are interested in.

ETA: I once painted my bedroom a neutral that was in my TV room on a lower level. Upstairs, it turned pink! I could believe it was the same paint. I took a paint sample downstairs and watched as it turned beige/yellow downstairs.

We wound up using a green which I really like.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Yes, I'd go with a color on the wall to give the room a rich feeling, and then put more neutral and earthy artwork and decor around. And use BM White Dove for the trim. Wonderful soft white.

I'd use either of these:

BM Vintage Charm

Or BM Sleepy Hollow

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

Coffee seems a nice choice.

Paint can(and will) look different everywhere depending on the light etc..but if you don't mind to try multiple samples anyway, and Benjamin Moore store/retailer is on your way-you might want to try "Kangaroo". It's medium tone coffee I'd say..no pink in it at all, but maybe very slight purple undertone(which I happen to love). It is sophisticated enough color, it changes beautifully during the day. I think it's from their Affinity collection. If you're willing to go darker, richer-I like their "Driftwood" too.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

BM Kangaroo

BM Driftwood

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

yes, thank you. they both look different from how they look on screen though. on the other hand-don't they all:)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

BM Grizzly Bear Brown

• User
    8 years ago

All the choices look good, but Really liking the driftwood.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, this is great! Like the Vintage Charm and Sleepy Hollow but I may be too conservative. lol I really like the Driftwood too and will pick up all these colors today and then get the paint samples when narrowed down. What is a yummy creamy trim color for the Driftwood? Still White Dove?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

White Dove goes with everything.

Are you conservative or safe? Two very different things. I actually think certain purples (like the two above, and deep browns are very neutral and the best neutrals, as crazy as that sounds).

And keep in mind. It's paint. Can always be re-done, although if your'e not doing it yourself, it is costly.

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

We use Swiss Coffee for the trim. But I've no idea whose brand this Swiss Coffee is. It might be Behr, or might be Dunn Edwards..But it is a nice creamy white.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Swiss Coffee is BM and is almost identical to White Dove, ever so slightly more saturated, but basically the same.

• Michael
    8 years ago

The Driftwood is handsome! I'd love to roll that on.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Down to two from paint samples picked up yesterday Had some help from my sister in law and the two runners up are SW Stone Lion and Tony Taupe. They look great with the floor tile and grout color and vanity top but the undertone thing will determine best choice. I want to get it today as the 30% sale ends tomorrow and they also take the $10 off of $50 coupons with that. I have two foam boards painted and it appears the Tony Taupe a little pinky?

What can anyone tell me about the "behavior" and undertones of Stone Lion and Tony Taupe please? To me the Tony Taupe looked a bit pinky/fleshy in the bright light in there this morning and the Stone Lion appears not to change as much.

The bathroom is our only bath about 10 x 6 used by DH and myself, one window but lots of light in the a.m. and not so good lighting at night. Both colors look good with this shower curtain I like.

Stone Lion

Tony Taupe

Croscill Grayson shower curtain

• User
    8 years ago

Is this counter installed? I would be nervous to paint before it's in place. I've read here that you can buy the paint base during the SW sales and return to have the color added. But they have a sale every month anyway.

• jpmom
    8 years ago

Post the Stone Lion with your countertop and cabs - I'd like to see that.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks tibbrix!! This morning I set the new vanity top in the bathroom on top of the old one to get a look see with it all together and the Stone Lion seems perfect. Painting will not be done until after our friend puts the new top on but waiting on the side splash, back ordered and coming Wednesday. Going for two gallons of paint, the Stone Lion and a ceiling paint for another room needing repainting after leak area repaired and with the 30% off and coupon of $15 off $75, doing just as well. I bought two quarts for the ceiling and a quart of trim paint yesterday with a $10 off $50 coupon after the 30% sale.

Mayflower, painter has two ceiling repairs in other rooms (thanks to the January blizzard here in the NE) and can get started on them this week since I will have the paint and can even do the bathroom ceiling, then the walls and trim after the vanity top in. THANKS SO MUCH everyone, as always!!!

• Karizme
    8 years ago

I have Stone Lion in my master bath, and it's a great neutral. I bet it will be perfect with your new Swanstone countertop and that shower curtain.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

one of my kids had a vanity top in their bathroom very similar to that in a previous house-- with white fixtures tho... i painted the bathroom SW nomadic desert which looked nice in that room...

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I can't believe you'll need two gallons for the bathroom! Also, might want to get their paint that is specifically for bathrooms, i.e.: resists mold. Or, you can buy the mold resistant stuff at the store and add it yourself, which is no doubt the less expensive way to go. Just ask them to add it before they mix the color in so that it gets well mixed into the paint. One gallon is surely enough, and likely too much. In fact, I'd get a sample pint of the Stone lion to do the first coat, then get a a quart or two for the follow-up coats.

tinker1121 thanked tibbrix
  • tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

tibbrix, I did get the Emerald SW paint which is mold and mildew resistant. Only 1 gallon for the walls, 2 quarts flat Alabaster for the ceiling and 1 quart semi gloss for the trim. Other gallon is for my dressing room ceiling that has plaster damage and needs repair and entire ceiling painted. Scored big with the 30% off and used two 10 off $50 coupons as went yesterday and today. :)Thanks all for your help and will post when it is finished.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think this would be a pretty change off from the blue curtain! Plumber changing out the vanity top tomorrow and no word from the painter as to when he can start. Need suggestions for something for walls or good websites. (Hardware and faucet are polished brass).

Stone Lion

• User
    8 years ago

That's pretty, but with the paint and vanity top, it's a lot of tan.

tinker1121 thanked User
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

I like it. I think the yellow flowers will look great in an otherwise pretty monochrome bathroom. Get some bright white towels.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, the bathroom is painted in SW Stone Lion and I am disappointed. It reads very green compared to the large sample foam board I painted with the sample quart they sell. It is the HARDEST color to work with now and wish I would have gone with tibbrx suggestion of Vintage Charm or Sleepy Hollow.

The blue shower curtain looks ok with it but not the wow factor I thought I should have after waiting 14 years to repaint. I think I can redeem the whole thing with some of the new coral bath items I have been seeing to punch up some color. Mayflower was right, way to safe and neutral but I wonder if the paint was mixed correctly or stirred by the painter. Too late now.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, found the color for this tricky SW Stone Lion..... coral!!

Found this today and love, love it! Also got a set of round mirrors which are a soft gold with greenish hue and perfect touch for the walls.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Oh, that is so pretty! I would have never thought of coral.

tinker1121 thanked nosoccermom
  • tinker1121
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks I am ecstatic! I went to a Kohls in another area today for something else and saw it and said FINALLY! And to satisfy my match match hang up, there are beautiful coordinating items such as towels and rug. Love the mirrors which were 50% off for $24.99 and a 30% coupon to boot!

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Wonderful! The coral is beautiful, and those towels are so pretty!

tinker1121 thanked tibbrix