SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

I'm refinishing my oak floors. Would you like to help me?

Jane
8 years ago

These are 25 year old oak floors that have been sanded a couple of times but never stained. Some parts have been abused to bare wood by dogs, water, an occasional doggie accident. No warping or curling, a few pits. Good first-timer project for me. :-)

320 sf of supposedly red oak, but one guy insisted it was white oak. I think it's red oak because some unworn parts look very red and red oak is what I bought originally.

SANDING: Since I am a first timer, I'm leaning toward renting a flat sander to remove the finish. I also considered a clarke easy sander (?) but was told that wouldn't do the job. Drum sander is a no-no for first timers I was told. I have not yet researched the edge sanding and sandpaper grit sequence issues yet. I was planning to rent the sander for one day and do subsequent sandings manually to open up grain for each stain and poly step.

FILLING: This is where I got confused. I will be staining the floors a dark cherry. I bought dark red non-stainable wood filler. It is more purple than the mix of minwax red chestnut and red sedona wood finish stain I wil be using. Should I be mixing wood filler colors too? Minwax stainable wood filler got bad reviews. I want to use wood filler conservatively. I really don't want to go over the wood filler with the big sander, but I have palm sanders I can use. So I really need to figure out what to do about the wood filler. Right now I'm thinking I will mix and apply conservatively after staining, and sand lightly with the motorized palm sander. Maybe I should get a lighter wood filler to match the lighter colors in the wood after staining?

STAINING: I did a test piece with my stain mixture and it came out light, but seems to be darker after a couple of days. I plan to apply as many coats as will take using these steps: Lightly sand, clean dust with mineral spirits (NOT tackcloth), apply stain, wait 15 minutes, wipe, let dry overnight. Repeat until the wood does not absorb any more stain or I get the color I like. Sound OK? the CS rep at Minwax said I could apply multiple coats with wipe off until the wood stopped absorbing.

POLY: I bought water based varathane wood floor finish, high traffic, satin. I wanted bona traffic, then after reading reviews got steered toward other products, then I decided to go with something forgiving that I could reapply myself. So it may not be the best product, but it looked like something I could handle and redo as needed. 2 coats with lambswool applicator, let dry overnight, lightly sand, (clean with mineral spirits?), 2 more coats the second day, let dry 3 days, then move in. Most of this is from the instructions on the can and from the Varathane rep. A home depot associate said something about using fans, but I am concerned about dust circulation. Any advice on that? Should I turn off the heat too? And how do I access the floor? Should I start in the back corner and work my way toward the hall? Can I step on the varathane after a certain amout of time? What should I wear on my feet? Guess I need to do more research.

I realize I won't be doing the best job possible, but my goal is to have success, not perfection. I really want the experience, and I want full control over the stain color, which is why I will be DIY-ing this. Any tips for a first-timer?

Comments (3)