SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renalor

URGENT HELP re: Oak Floor Refinishing

Rena Lor
4 years ago

Hi, I am having my wood floors refinished in my new condo in just over a week. Taking a peak here, I realized how much I don't know about the process so am hoping to get some quick help.

The floors are in great shape but have a yellowy-amber tint that I dislike - I prefer natural and not shiny. It is unclear if red or white oak - one contractor said red oak - the second initially thought red, but then said they might be white oak. Both contractors recommended using Bona water-based products, though neither told me about the options available to get my preferences.

Contractor #1 said they would use 1 coat sealer + 3 coats waterbase, which seems standard.

Contractor #2 said they would use 4 coats Bona Traffic HD satin. He does not recommend the use of sealer because "finish won't last as long". He highly suggests satin instead of matte as it looks almost the same, but is better. I've scheduled the job with contractor #2 - he was less expensive, was recommended by a RE agent - he will do whatever finish I want despite his preferences.

My questions:

1) I've read that sealer is to "reduce the potential for sidebonding and tanin bleed" - I get tanin bleed, I'm unclear what sidebonding is - are refinished 20 year old floors at risk for this?

2) Does the refinishing process need to differ if the floors are red vs white oak, i.e does white oak REQUIRE sealer but red oak does not?

3) Is it right that 4 coats water-based finish with no sealer is better than 1 sealer + 3 finish?

4) Does Bona Traffic Naturale provide a more natural look than Bona Traffic HD? Is durability the same?

5) I've read on a blog that1 coat of Bona NordicSeal results in the most natural look - any experience with this? My condo is a modern loft so the Scandinavian look the product advertises would look great.

Thank you pros for you help!!!!!!!!

Comments (5)