SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Japanese Milk Bread

annie1992
8 years ago

Yeah, I'm getting bored. No one has asked me to do anything because I had some dental work. Now I have a mouthful of stitches and look like a chipmunk, so the family is "giving me a break".

So, time to try something new. Hey, look, Japanese Milk Bread on the King Arthur site. Never heard of that.......

It starts with something called tangzhong. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but you cook a little flour, a little milk, a little water, until thick, then combine it with the other ingredients and mix/knead. It also requires a special way of shaping a loaf. I don't know if it's just traditional that way or if the shaping serves a purpose, but the recipe calls for cutting the finished dough into four pieces, flattening each into a rectangle, folding in the edges like an envelope, then rolling into a log and placing the four rolls of dough into the bottom of the loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, pretty standard. The result is a dense, sweet, eggy, soft loaf. Elery says it reminds him of challah, and it does a little, but softer and sweeter.

It is soft enough for me to chew, as long as I don't toast it. I had a slice with homemade raspberry jam, and it was pretty darned good. I think it would make awesome French toast.

The technique was different, but not difficult. I'll definitely have to make this again, I think the kids would love it, and I also think it would make some really good cinnamon rolls.

Annie

Comments (22)