SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Re Malt

plllog
8 years ago

I love the flavor of barley malt in baked goods. To me, a bagel isn't a "real" bagel if it doesn't have malt. Similarly, I figured out, looking at the ingredients, that the flavor difference in bought pizza dough that made it right was malt. I even recently had some small local maker cookies -- somewhere between sugar cookies and shortbread -- that had a flavor I remembered from childhood, and which I now know enough to call malt. Sure enough, there it was on the ingredients.

So I got some malt powder to put in my pizzas. It was good. Then I was asked if it was diastatic malt (which they use for dough conditioning) or regular malt (which they use for sweetening), and I didn't know. It was just malt. So when I bought more, I got one bag of diastatic and one of non. I didn't like using either! They seemed to be making the gluten break more easily and were generally impeding things.

So I found out what the "just malt" I'd started with was. It wasn't actually straightforward malt. It's "organic light dried malt extract" (DME=dried malt extract) Apparently, it's generally used for brewing. I like it much better. I think it sucks moisture out of the air more but it comes in small packets so as long as I keep baking I think it'll be all right.

I haven't used the syrups, BTW. It seemed too hard to control the dough hydration.

I'm thinking I'll use up the other malt powder in cookies. :)

Comments (8)