I'm in this week's Woman's World magazine
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (59)
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
a woman determined to make it in a man's world!!!!
Comments (26)Here's another woman's folly for onramental grasses. Just today. As I said in other threads (the last Phormium tenax etc.), I ordered online some grasses. The problem is that, as I fixed with the nursery, I picked up them at a fabolous gardening exposition which take place right in these days a few miles from here.. So as probably you already guessed given my premise, the buy list has streeeeeeeeeetched. Here's what I bought: . Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foester' . Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Overdam' . Helictotrichon sempervirens . Panicum virgatum 'Shanandoah' . Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' . Pennisetum setaceum 'Cupreum Compactum' . Miscanthus sinensis 'Yakushima Dwarf' and until here nothing new +++ new entries: . Miscanthus sin. 'Morning Light', after having seen it I simply couldn't resist, it is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL, probably the most beautiful grass I've ever seen . Stipa lessingiana, very upright, gentle, in a word a candy . Schizachyrium scoparium (Little Bluestem), it costed only 3,5 euros, why not to buy it? :-) Now probably I have to plant some of them in my bathroom or in kitchen (so it would be easier to grab a beer and watch them grow) .. but they're too gorgeous!!!!...See MoreWhat the world's oldest woman drinks every day
Comments (14)I was expecting the answer to what the 120 yr old gal drinks daily to be urine - I knew a lady that swore by a glass of that every day. Never could go there meeself. Lots of things I never would have thought of for Olive Oil, I'll have to add it to my shopping list. Suzan J...See Morehello, I'm new....I'm hurt....
Comments (35)Hi Kmttsmom, Thank you for being kind. I'm really not trying to get a reaction or hurt anyone and I think I've stated it over and over, but it bears repeating. :) I'm hurt too, and confused at how my estrangement got to the point it did. Years and years of misunderstanding, letting things go when they really should have been talked out then, not feeling like I could say anything because it would be taken the wrong way. So I'm just trying to understand it from a mother's point of view. And it seems like a lot of mothers are defensive (that's ok, they have a right to be, but then they take it as I'm attacking) and words like "spoiled brat" come into the picture. I'm not, nor was I ever, a spoiled brat. I was raised one of the least spoiled people you would ever meet. No electricity, no television, catchment water, no neighbors. No Christmas tree, very few presents for my birthday. My mother never bought me a car, paid for insurance, college, rent, bills, etc. I had to give away my toys to more needy kids time and again. We recycled everything. I moved out at 14 to live with my dad because of her emotional abuse, and I lived pretty much on my own because he had to work 150 miles away and would be gone for days at a time. I walked to school a few miles away and walked home, did my homework, made myself dinner, and went to bed. And I forgave her in high school. I was able to put it all behind me and move forward. And I included her in my daughter's birth. And when she needed a place to live, I let her move in with me. And then I realized she was an energy vampire. She literally sucked me dry, blamed me for everything, took my friends and started to turn my daughter against me. And she walked all over me. Time and again. So, my defenses go up too, when mothers just say that kids just need to respect their parents, and "get over it". It's a very emotionally charged situation. I didn't come on here for support, I came on here to learn what others think. So I think part of the conflict is our approach to what we expect from this board. I'm shocked at being told to go away, that my opinion is not wanted or needed or valued because I don't agree and I'm asking questions. It seems it's either one way or the highway. And when I apply this to what women here are saying about their damaged relationships the correlation seems too blatant to ignore. I don't think anyone here is a "Bad Mother". The fact that people are even talking about it indicates that they are truly trying to be good people. I'm sure everyone on here has their good and bad moments, and it can be hard to judge emotion when it's in writing, without any facial gestures or other non-verbal clues. I guess this isn't the place for me to be asking my questions because it is seen as an attack, and I felt just terrible the past few days, because I feel bad that people are taking my words that way, and now I feel attacked too. Thank you again, for your very clear, from the heart post. I do wish you the best in your situation. No one should have to feel like this. ~Silver...See MoreLOOKING for: Home made recipe for Hollywood diet in Womans World
Comments (12)Hello, Im writing this so others can avoid MY awful experience with this Âjump start 48 Âhour diet, sometimes called the Hollywood Diet. ItÂs Monday now and IÂm almost feeling normal again, but still very weak. Ever have stomach flu? ThatÂs what this was like. Saturday morning, full of determination, I mixed up a batch of the WomanÂs World recipe of the diet. Since it had more protein, it sounded more healthy than the Hollywood version of the Âjump-start recipe. Besides, I donÂt care for papayas or apricots, which may be the source of the bitter tang some users have complained about. It tasted just FINE, and I had my first shake at around 10 am, then went about my usual weekend activity, which was sewing. Not too strenuous. I worked steadily with a big container of water next to me, taking sips off that to keep hydrated as many have recommended. When I got hungry, I drank another fruit shake. Of course I used the toilet a lot more with all this liquid, but IÂd expected that, after all, I was trying to clean out my system. In articles IÂd read about this sort of diet IÂd learned our bowels can hold from 2-7 pounds of wasteÂwhich accounts for most of the Âweight lost in this diet. Of course, once youÂre back on regular food afterwards it all comes back, a little detail the TV infomercials leave out. Around 4pm my dogs came in and began staring at me. Not normal behavior for them. They are very perceptive pooches and their message was clear: ÂAre you feeling bad? They were right. I was feeling woozy, and had a headache, which I attributed to the sudden diet shift. I drank more water and decidedÂafter sewing a long seam up the wrong wayÂthat I needed to compromise on this. My weakness was such that I couldnÂt sit up to sew anymore, so I lay down on the bed and thought things over. As in the Slim Fast diet the idea of having one sensible meal for dinner made sense. So I had one (with some Tylenol) and felt a little better, but not much. I found I was too weak to sit at the sewing machine even then, and my trips to the toilet were becoming more frequent and cramp-ridden. Ditto for my between-runs rests. I dozed the rest of the slow evening, lurching up from bed to deal with bouts of out-and-out diarrhea, cursing myself for being so stupid. I got NO sleep that night, only catching short, shallow dozing between stumbling to the bathroom every 30 to 40 minutes, and groaning with cramp. Throughout all that my little dogs snuggled close, giving what comfort they could. I had chills, then the sweats like a fever victim, terrible cramps, and a thunderous headache that no amount of Tylenol would fix. I kept drinking water, knowing that if I didnÂt keep hydrated IÂd only feel worse. Finally I took a dose of Emetrol for the nausea. Exactly 30 seconds later I was bent over the tub with an uncontrolled case of the heaves, and remained there in abject misery for the next half hour. I crept back to bed, extremely weak, and went back to the chills, cramps, and sweats routine for the rest of the night. In the morning I still had the awful headache, and the shakes kept me from standing upright for more than a couple minutes. The cramps had abated, so I felt certain I was on the down side of the bell curve. I continued drinking water, and in the afternoon managed to keep down a couple finely chewed crackers. I remained bed-ridden the whole of the day. By evening I had dry toast and an egg. So, there it was: the 24-hour give yourself stomach-flu symptoms diet, and, NO, I did NOT lose ANY weight. The only jump-start to my system darn near burned out the battery, leaving me incapacitated for 2 days, weaker but wiser on the third. (And full of gas!) I will mention the one time I did lose weight a couple years back. I reduced my calorie intake to 1000-1200 a day, stopped drinking caffeine and anything fizzy (including diet fizzy drinks) and increased my walking to a mile a day. I lost 30 pounds. ItÂs the same old story, the quick miracle fads just donÂt work. I was able to stick to this one for only 8 hours before my body violently rebelled against the abuse. Had I stuck to it for 48 as the regime calls for IÂd have landed in a hospital with a bunch of health care workers shaking their heads over me, too polite to ask ÂWhat were you THINKING???? So you think about it now. As for meÂIÂm going back to the old routine. ItÂs slower, but more certain and 200% healthier. Pat Elrod...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING FOR BIRDSWild Birds Transform a Woman’s Garden and Life
How Sharon Sorenson created a wildlife haven and became the Bird Lady of Southern Indiana
Full Story
TINY HOUSESHouzz TV: Step Inside One Woman’s 140-Square-Foot Dream Home
You may have seen the story on Houzz — now check out the video tour of Vina Lustado’s warm and welcoming tiny house
Full Story
MOST POPULARArchitectural Icon: The World’s First Bauhaus House
The Haus am Horn in Weimar is the first architectural example from the famed school, and the only one in the German city where Bauhaus began
Full Story
SMALL KITCHENSThe 100-Square-Foot Kitchen: One Woman’s $4,500 DIY Crusade
Teaching herself how to remodel, Allison Macdonald adds function, smarter storage and snazzier materials
Full Story
BASEMENTSBasement of the Week: Mediterranean Wine Cellar Style in Michigan
Drop in on a converted basement that evokes an old-world feel with its new kitchen, dining room and media room
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMERegain Calm With a New Weekly Routine
Having a day-by-day housekeeping schedule makes the chores a lot more manageable
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Modern Art Inspires a Color-Blocked Look
In a midcentury beach house on Martha’s Vineyard, a redesigned kitchen embraces the look of Mondrian
Full Story
WALL TREATMENTSNew This Week: 3 Powder Rooms With Smile-Inducing Walls
Looking for a happy place in your home? Let these walls speak to you
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDKitchen of the Week: Sensuous Curves in an Unusual Irish Kitchen
Sinuous free-standing furniture and warm woods weave a casual and harmonious spell in this fresh design
Full StorySponsored
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
FlamingO in AR