SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_schrock

Is spoilage sometimes invisible in high acid foods as in low acid?

becky_schrock
8 years ago

I grew up canning a ton of food, both high acid and low acid. It never occurred to me to look at a canning book as it was kinda like second nature to us (I grew up Amish). But recently I started to do some research and noticed in particular that fruit like peaches are process for 20-25 minutes. That seems like a very long time and doesn't the fruit get mushy? We never processed them longer then 10 minutes, most of the time only 5, and they kept just fine. I know about the dangers of botulism and what the books say now, but my question is: Is spoilage sometimes unseen or not evident in high acid foods as it can be in low acid? We had two simple guidelines that we went by: if the seal was broken, OR if we opened the jar and the food smelled strange, we threw it out. So bottom line, if I process peaches for 5 minutes, they have a strong seal, and there is no sign or smell of spoilage when I open the jar, has it been PROVEN that there can be an unseen poison in that jar of high acid food?
Thank you so much for any help! I haven't been able to find any research on this topic.

Comments (2)