SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Acid Blend - citric, malic, tartaric

nancyofnc
15 years ago

ksrogers has espoused the use of this mixture (found at wine making shops) for adding the tang to jellies and jams. He said he uses a premixed 1:3 ratio, but some wine making on-line sites offer their acid blend at 2:1:1 (50%, 25%, 25%).

Shopping at an new-to-me organic gardening supply place that also carries wine making supplies had the three food-grade acids in separate containers. So I snapped them up intending to do some testing this season on low sugar or Splenda fruit jams with Pomona. Now my quandary is that if I mix it myself - is it measured by volume or weight? The malic is about twice the volume as the same weight of the other two acids. So, Ken, what do you think is the right proportion to mix my own? I will be testing the pH of the finished jam to ensure a low enough pH anyway since there will not be enough or no sugar to safely preserve the fruits as would it be if I were using the 1:1 3/4 ratio as normal recipes for high sugar jams.

I do recall Ken saying that he uses only 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per batch of jelly/jam which is not a very large amount of added acid overall but has a "better and livelier fruit flavor". I wonder how the pH of the finished high sugar jams compares to the acid blend jams?

Nancy

Comments (3)