SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Yesterday Just Wasn't My Day

bcskye
8 years ago

Decided to oven roast a big pork roast and to make up a big batch of the chicken broth and chicken soup to can. DH is having a lot of trouble eating and digesting anything, but chicken soup seems to be something he can handle. Well, to cut things short, the pork roast turned out way, way overdone. I couldn't get the right temperature for cooked pork roast. That thermometer has to be bad, so out it goes. The pork will be okay shredded and simmered a bit in the BBQ sauce. The soup turned out great. Pulled out my big double decker canner, got everything cleaned, canned the soup then got it into the canner. Well, after waiting 10 minutes for venting, I put the little bobble thingy (I'm tired & can't thing of the name) on and waited, and waited and waited. It never started jiggling. I finally gave up, took it off and waited a safe amount of time to open the canner. The canner wouldn't open. I worked on it and waited and worked on it several times before it finally opened. All the pints had sealed. I left them on a towel for some time then I had to put them in the fridge because it was late, I was exhausted and had to be up early to take my DH to his radiation treatment and hour and a half away from home. I'm not afraid to open the jars, heat the soup and eat it, I'm just afraid to take the eight pints out of the fridge and get them into the pantry even though they are sealed. I've been canning for over 50 years and never had this happened. I'm beginning to think its about time for me to quit pressure canning. Just needed to vent.

Comments (5)