SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Will Kitchy Signs With Sayings EVER Go Away??

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Our town is the proud new home to Hobby Lobby! Everyone has been talking about it so of course I had to go and was not expecting what I found. Never having been in one I expected mostly craft supplies. I should have known from the size that it would sell occasional furniture and art. And a lot of stuff -- canvases, baskets, furniture, metal signs, wooden signs, plastic signs, rope signs----had sayings or just words marching across it. It's almost as if the folk in China have decided we will buy anything if it displays the right buzzwords. Are they right? I wish I'd kept a tally of the number of times I saw the words "family" and "princess" emblazoned on stuff.

Will this trend ever be over? Did it really start in the 80s with "kiss my grits," as one friend alleges? Does it affect everyone as so cringeworthy you want to avert your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist? And oddly, since so much of this is presumably sold, I've never seen it in anybody's house.....where does it go?

And somewhere out there must be good examples of this kind of decor, but where are they??

Comments (86)