SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

have you ever drifted away from a friend who was really negative?

3katz4me
13 years ago

I have a dear friend - a friend who goes back farther than any of my other friends - back to junior high days. She has since moved away but we have always kept in touch regularly by phone and see each other once or twice a year. Over the years she has grown more and more negative and every time I talk to her she talks (sometimes for hours) about how much she can't stand just about everyone which is mainly the people she works with as she doesn't seem to have much of a social life outside of work. If there is nothing tangible to complain about current coworkers she will rehash former coworkers that she feels were problematic. This isn't a recent phenomonon - this has been going on for years and getting progressively worse.

She sometimes talks about traveling but never does though I'm sure she could afford to do so. A few months ago I suggested maybe DH and I should go to one of the places she wanted to go and she was enthused about this. So I spent all kinds of time investigating, etc. and sent her some info about the trip by email. I got a gloom and doom response about how she was sure she'd be unemployed by then along with some other cynical comments related to the info I'd sent. I responded and said maybe she'd rather not plan for the trip since she was going to be unemployed. That I'd only suggested the idea of going with her to do this because we thought it might be fun for her and an opportunity to enjoy life - and that I wasn't sure from her message if that would be possible for her under the circumstances. I told her it was up to her - that we were going because we wanted to go on the trip with her for her enjoyment.

I've heard nothing back and it's now been a couple months. I suspect I'm now on the list of the many people she has nothing but bad things to say about. On one hand I feel badly about this but on the other hand I almost feel like I'd be okay moving on if she chooses not to have anything more to do with me. On one hand I feel like I should reach out to her and on the other hand I don't feel like it right now. I now have an unemployed DH and my job is very demanding and stressful at the moment and I don't feel that I have the energy to listen to her negativity and attempt to be a supportive friend.

Has anyone ever been through something like this? What did you do?

Comments (20)