SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Have you ever received a letter from buyer when selling your home?

IdaClaire
8 years ago

Our sweet little old house has been off the market for awhile, as the first few months that it was on MLS we had a good number of showings but no real interest. The comments we kept hearing over and over again were complaints about the house not being updated cosmetically, although we poured tens of thousands of dollars over the years we lived there into substantial systems updates. There are surely cosmetic updates that could stand to be made, but I always hoped to make them in a manner that would be sympathetic to a house built in 1940. We never got around to doing so, so then I started hoping that the owner who would come after us would maintain its character and continue to love it even in its "old imperfection" as I always did.

The house went back to MLS yesterday, and we had three showings. This morning we got our first (and only) offer from a single woman who has fallen in love with the charm of the old place. She made an offer above asking price and sent the sweetest letter that has had me (and my realtor) in tears all day long. She talked about having looked at numerous homes that have been updated but stripped of their original features and made to look like any other new home. She spoke lovingly of the old windows and hardwood floors, and some of you may remember our upstairs attic-conversion bedroom paneled in 1940s knotty pine. She said she dreams of spending rainy afternoons tucked up in that space sipping hot tea and reading good books, and working at her desk with the sunlight streaming in. She wants to meet the friendly neighbors and involve herself in community activities; in fact, when she looked at the house she did meet a woman who lives a street over who was out walking her dog, and they hit it off nicely. She wrote about longing to bake for the holidays in our old 1950s oven and greet trick-or-treaters at the door. All in all, it's one of the most precious things I ever read. I'm sure that's because I have such an emotional investment in that little old house, but I cannot begin to tell you how joyful I feel knowing that the house will go to someone such as she. She says she already loves it. Her letter conveys that beautifully.

Have you ever had an experience like this? I've written a letter or two to sellers in the past, but have never received one as a buyer. I understand that this is a business proposition, but bringing a very real human element into it warms my heart so very much.

Comments (64)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County