SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Parents' bathroom remodel DONE (pretty much)!

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I've been driving Faron crazy with the progress reports, today went back to put up mirror, lights, towel bar etc. This was a bad idea to do it while my dad was recuperating from knee surgery but it is done and usable now though there are some things left to finish.

Lots of mistakes by the contractor (light boxes placed too high and not centered on sink, sink isn't centered on vanity because of butting into new half wall/shelf area), work left undone (caulking, wood finishing, backsplash), bad paint job (yours truely), mismatched shower diverter/head (chrome when rest of bath is ORB), parts missing (ORB switchplates, switches, bathroom fan cover, and latest the toothbrush holder and hand soap dispenser) but at least it's clean and everything works. My sister is coming tomorrow and has to wait until Christmas morning to use the shower according to the guy who installed the door yesterday (and I just caulked around the top today so another day is good with me).

I told my mom next time they do a remodel, let me be the GC. Plumber charged way too much, said it would take 2 men all day to install countertop and toilet, he sent 1 guy (don't know how he did it since that thing is heavy - 48" long) who was there 3 hours. If they had put shut-off valves in under the sink instead of capping them off I could have plumbed the sink and installed the toilet (don't know about shower head but that could have been put on when they installed the shower stall and diverter). I definitely should have done the electrical myself, or at least marked the locations - the contractor had the lights but didn't measure them so they are placed too high and hit the sloped ceiling. Not sure if it's worth patching and painting to drop them an inch (and the left one is higher than the right one).

I'm not proud of the way it came out, but I am proud that Mom and I survived and it's done in time for Christmas visitors! (Mom said she should have taken before pix but it was too embarrassing/disgusting)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!