SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyfladeziner

Which used W/D do I look for??

When I put new white socks in my 2005 Whirlpool Calypso they come out grey. New towels come out sprouting yarns all over the surface of the towel. Trying to get a blanket or quilt really clean and rinsed is impossible in the Calypso. Everything gets washed twice, so this saves no energy or water.This week the matching dryer simply stopped working. I long for the days of filling the wash tub with HOT water, having an agitator & not purchasing HE detergent. My laundry room has no sink, & presoaking is not an option with this washer.

This morning I read most of the posts regarding Speed Queen, but I'm not able to spend $900 on a washer, especially one whose capacity seems a bit on the small size. Front loaders seem like asking for trouble

I have fond memories of my mother's Philco washing machine in 1958 & wonder why this type of agitator is no longer being used. Seemed to work great at the time. http://youtu.be/txSPA1EbE2c

There are a couple of used appliance stores in my metro area and I'm willing to put in the time to look for the right washer dryer, provided I have a few models/brands to consider. I'm willing to buy new, but don't want to spend over $500 for a washer. I would like a top loader, hot water, water level control, fairly large capacity, direct drive?, and a reasonable amount of agitation to clean my clothes.

Can one of the appliance gurus please tell me which brand, what year and what model might meet these specs? Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)